Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Breaking in a new defensive handgun per human events

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  WoadWarrior 
#1 ·
#2 ·
1911's in particular need 200 rounds or more run thru them to get "worn in."
And I'm glad he mentioned cleaning the gun first. There may be some residual material left from machining, and most guns have been lubricated to prevent rusting before being sold.

Reactions: Denton
#3 ·
Yes, cleaning new weapons is a pretty darned important thing. The companies are getting away from it, but cosmoline is the traditional preservative found on new weapons. It isn't a lube, and mixed with gun powder residue, will do a number on your weapon. Clean well before shooting.

Oh, another important thing to remember. When eating out, always order a top shelf margarita. Never settle for cheap booze and a lousy margarita mix. You are worth more than that.

#5 ·
My glock has gone through 100's of rounds before I felt it was broke in...

#7 ·
I just ran 400rds through my 9mm Beretta Nano this weekend.

Time for a new gun.:grin:

and more ammo.:-o

#8 ·
Speaking of firing a lot of rounds... I need to buy 3000 rounds for an upcoming handgun certification. I was thinking about using cheaperthandirt.com to save some money (since I have to fire 1500 ea for both my primary and backup weapons) but I don't recognize many of the brand names and always worry that "cheap" actually means "cheaply-made". Has anyone here bought from them? And if so... did you have any issues with your ammo? Or... do you recommend another source?

#10 · (Edited)
I purchased a 1000rds 9mm 124grn FMJ Aquila from SGammo.com for $207. That was with a GI ammo can $197 without the GI ammo can. I like I said in earlier post, I just shot 400rds, 300rds was this Aquila ammo. 100rds was another brand I had bought with my gun, it was 115grn and said training ammo.

Someone more astute with ammo could probly tell you if it was good ammo or not, all I can tell you is every round fired and ejected cleanly and found its target. I've been reading about ammo and ppl use the term "Clean", I was at an indoor range and I didn't really notice much smoke after each shot (if that is what they are refering too) or that the gun was overly dirty when I cleaned it.

#12 ·
Thanks AquaHull and Lawnkiller... I'll check them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.