Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I don't drink pop, I don't buy from China knowingly, I never watch sports but seriously never did any of these things so not sure if that counts as a boycot. I do watch motorcross and so far haven't seen much political crap on there but I don't watch that much either. Just so they leave my coffee alone.

·
Administrator
15,022 Posts
I just had to go to the Ace Hdwe in town, and while I was there I also bought a cold drink.
They have a cooler filled with ice and soft drinks.
I selected a Mexican Coca Cola. These come in glass bottles and are made with real cane sugar. Not the high fructose corn syrup crap.
This is Coke the way it was when I was a kid, doesn’t even taste like the American made swill.
So, let’s review - I’m drinking an ice cold Coke that was made in Mexico. How else may I piss you off today???

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just had to go to the Ace Hdwe in town, and while I was there I also bought a cold drink.
They have a cooler filled with ice and soft drinks.
I selected a Mexican Coca Cola. These come in glass bottles and are made with real cane sugar. Not the high fructose corn syrup crap.
This is Coke the way it was when I was a kid, doesn’t even taste like the American made swill.
So, let’s review - I’m drinking an ice cold Coke that was made in Mexico. How else may I piss you off today???
Ain't nothing wrong with a Mexican beverage, so long as it isn't a coke beverage. The Mexican working class are actually industrious people from what I have heard, and a coke made in Mexico means that some Mexicans have jobs to stay in Mexico for. I don't give a damn... so long as it isn't from China.

·
Administrator
15,022 Posts
Ain't nothing wrong with a Mexican beverage, so long as it isn't a coke beverage. The Mexican working class are actually industrious people from what I have heard, and a coke made in Mexico means that some Mexicans have jobs to stay in Mexico for. I don't give a damn... so long as it isn't from China.
Any old Ford hot rodder will tell you that Ford Windsor small block V-8 cylinder heads that are stamped Hencho En Mexico are much more prefered than American heads - better cast iron.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Boycott who you wish... but don’t criticize the “cancel culture” afterwards, thinking you aren’t part of it.

Big difference between deciding to boycott a product to send a message and doing everything in your power to ruin a person or company so they go bankrupt, are never allowed to have gainful employment or speak or teach at a college/university.

Big difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Big difference between deciding to boycott a product to send a message and doing everything in your power to ruin a person or company so they go bankrupt, are never allowed to have gainful employment or speak or teach at a college/university.

Big difference.
I don’t agree that everything considered “cancel culture” involves “doing everything in your power to ruin and person or company so they...” It’s a matter of scale and all part of the same mentality. It’s the entirety of the “culture” which has an effect. All you may be able to do is boycott something. It’s the “whole” of the cancel culture mob that yields the power. People tend to like it when it has an effect that aligns with their political sensibilities, but are disgusted when it goes the other way.... A few years back, people were trying to say not to buy Yeti and Harley for crying out loud. It’s all the same nonsense. Support who you want, and don’t who you don’t want. Once you start thinking “boycott”, you seem to be trying to have a negative effect on something and are part of the cancel culture, in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
A few years ago, ACE Hardware came out with a statement, and for the life of me I can't remember what it was (I'm very political and old so I get confused sometimes).
Anyway, it flew right in the face of people on the right who generally have the same mind-set.
It really stuck in my craw so I went in and talked to the owner (of 4 ACE stores). He recognized me as someone who shops there a lot. I was polite but told him in no uncertain terms I probably would quit spending my money with ACE and go elsewhere. Apparently lots of others felt the same way as before two days was out, ACE came out with a statement reversing their initial statement.

I emailed Coke when it was found out they were promoting that whiteness thing in their on-line training. They issued a statement within 2 days stating it was a mistake and they stopped it.
Many other things I've complained about and both threatened to and have boycotted over the years.
Coke is one of them. Stay out of politics Coke...pure and simple.

Have I formed or been part of a group that demands an ex Obama official be banned from gainful employment? Nope, never will.
Have I been part of SNL where a lot of the cast members said they wouldn't participate in the show if Elon Musk was a guest host? Nope.
Have I been part of a gang that has threatened violence if a person on the right is allowed to speak at a college? Nope.

Big difference.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yes, Coca Cola has back tracked a bit. I did send them an email.

I also emailed my US congressional representative, thanking them for supporting our Constitution. Even though I stated I did not want a reply, here is what I received back (edited to protect my privacy/location).

"Dear (deleted my name):
Thank you for contacting me. I appreciate you taking the time to write and for sharing your perspective. It is an honor to represent the people of (deleted) Congressional District in the United States House of Representatives. I hope you will continue to write with your thoughts and ideas on moving our country forward.
I am honored to have taken the oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States and will remain forever faithful to it. Rest assured, I will work to represent you with the integrity and nobility you deserve. I encourage you to stay updated on official actions, future town halls, and policy positions on my website: (deleted) .house.gov. I will always fight for freedom and prosperity to deliver results for rural (deleted).
Again, I appreciate your thoughts and concerns. It is an honor to serve (deleted) as part of its congressional delegation. Your suggestions are always welcome, and if ever I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,"

Perhaps this is a form letter, most likely it is. But it is something.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
I signed up for Twitter about 4 months ago just because of letters like that.
I seriously doubt any politician reads any of them. Some low-level employee tracks how many people are pissed at something.
More importantly is the email address so they can send you pleas for donations and sell your name to others so they can send pleas for donations.

Twitter allows me to respond directly to what POS typed.

Reactions: inceptor
21 - 36 of 36 Posts