Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're at an car auction and this is going on the block in a day or two.
Any thoughts as a viable BOV? Thanks, JR

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
oh it's viable. You can turn that covered bed into a little home very easily with a stove, shower ect. Has plenty of muscle and runs off multiple different fuels. In a pinch you could run regular gasoline with a bottle of motor oil in it. Six wheel drive is monstrous. As far as a road block or fending off other vehicles it would take no less than a loaded semi truck to force it off the road. It's a great BOV you are not the first to mull this. I'd say if the price is right grab it.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
We're at an car auction and this is going on the block in a day or two.
Any thoughts as a viable BOV?
Nice baby, car drivers wouldn't dare mess with you when they see you coming!
Good offroad and shallow fording capability too, it'd certainly get you to wherever you want to go, and like Leon says you could live in it no problemo, just insert a couple of flexible clear plastic windows in the canvas.
That's a great plus of big roomy vehicles, you don't need a bugout cabin at all, just park in a remote wood and ride out the SHTF.
(By comparison motorhomes are bog-prone when driven offroad)
I'm no expert but I'd say get it IF you're happy with the price and the fuel consumption figures..:)

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think that is an AM General 5 ton six-wheel drive cargo truck, and it looks like it is in pretty decent shape. The fact that it is in desert tan paint shows it has been in service during the last few years.

These trucks can be purchased at auction directly from the government at many locations across the U.S., so you can find another for parts pretty easy. They are tough, ride like...well...an Army truck, and if it is a low-hours, reasonably low-mileage unit could be worth buying (subject to what I have to warn you about, below).

However, you need to check on your state and local laws for these, and with your insurance company too. These are usually not street legal, and have to be towed to your garage/home. You may have trouble getting it registered and being able to drive it on public roads. I would definitely check on that first. You could get stuck with a truck you cannot use on the street legally.

A buddy of mine buys these at auction, fixes them up, and sells them to people to use on their private land, mostly to old ex-mil guys who have a thing for collecting military hardware.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Excellent idea. Have see several here in Southern Nevada. Saw one lastf years ago that I think was a Command module that appeared to have been converted.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Some people shorten the box on the back and cut off the back axle so it is just a 4x4. That means a lighter more maneuverable vehicle that is also more efficient. Of course it will reduce the amount and weight of the payload (but that thing still hauls twice what a standard pick up would) and it would take some work to get it that way, but it is an option if you just don't want that much truck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=deuce+and+a+half+bobbed&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=u&rlz=1C2GGGE_enUS441US456&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0DD7UK-IDeSy2gWf34CoDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=785
BIG 4X4 for sale- Bobbed Deuce 49" tires, Rockwells - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

·
Registered
921 Posts
The later ones, at least in the 2 1/2 ton models have Allison Automatics and power steering. M35-A3.
Do know for sure about the 5 tons.
The older ones can run regular tags, at least in some states. I've seen a few with MD tags.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Its al about the BOB'd deuce and a half!! I have a friend who is currently building one and if you can find the "Xtreme4x4" Show on Spike they built a SUPER bad ass bobd one!! would be wicked nice to have thats for sure. but most the trails My club and I go o you wouldnt be able to get one down but some of the trails are barely wide enough for a Jeep!

And I not talking there trees in the way more like a cliff edge on one side and a straight up wall on the other!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I never would have considered one of these, but after seeing a couple on different eposisodes of doomsday preppers and now this one with the cut off version, I'm really liking the cut the cut version, might have to keep an eye out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I get over to the US I will SERIOUSLY be considering a 'duce and a half' but I would have to hunt one with an 'LDT 465' engine as that donkey is multi-fuel so if needs be fuel can be scrounged up more readily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts