Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this video recently on the amount of commentary I got about choosing a ridgeline or fj cruiser. I've done a lot of research and condensed it into a 20 minute video on the realities of bug out vehicles and the misconceptions behind old vs new, carb vs fuel injection debate. Take what you will but I grew up around 4x4 my dad builds them professionally. We also have a jet boat with a 427 chevy, a 57 bel air with a 383 chevy, a studebaker truck and a project 55 chevy truck. Let the flames commence ::rambo::

·
Registered
245 Posts
Great video. Music kept throwin' me off though. I guess there are a lot of points to consider. I have too many in my family for a real all terrain vehicle so I'm pretty much stuck with the van or camper. If I can't get there in that we'll have to abandon and go on foot which we're preparing for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great video. Music kept throwin' me off though. I guess there are a lot of points to consider. I have too many in my family for a real all terrain vehicle so I'm pretty much stuck with the van or camper. If I can't get there in that we'll have to abandon and go on foot which we're preparing for.
Im in the same bote as you

·
Registered
34 Posts
this might be off topic but here is my truck

PAW BOV
-cummins 12 valve mechanically injected
.the only why mechanically 12valve will shouts off is if there is no air, no fuel or a electrical signal to the fuel pump. custom 4" high flow exhaust w/super quiet mufflers. (not that a diesel can be quiet) snorkel to cyclone air filters then to over sized air filter. HD oversize radiator, inter cooler, oil / hydraulic cooler with 2 electric fans pushing and a air clutch flex fan pulling and hardox steel shutters in grill.
-ZF-6-650 6-speed manual transmission or automatic Allison transmission with P.T.O. driving hydraulic pump
- On bored air gear driven off the motor.

-over sized drive line and U-joints to the T-case
-205 divorced transfer case with a P.T.O.
-drive line shields over all drive line with saddles.
-front Dana 60 closed hubs with chrome moly axials limited slip 4:10 gears and Dana 70 hubs
-rear Dana 60 axial with locker
-1 ton 4x4 international frame gusted, boxed and cross beamed 4" lift over all spring and shackle. approach brush/sapling roller's and steel/aluminum skid plates
-37" run flat tire$ and bead lock wheel$
-1976 X-cab power wagon
-custom cockpit w/dual air ride captain's chairs over head roof console both red or white LED rod lights,
floor console ps3 subs and cup holders! integrated with dash, c.b. ham dvd am/fm many many switches and
-gages oil psi, oil temp, water temp, tach, mph, boost, volts, fuel level, hyd level, hyd temp, hyd psi, air psi, front axle temp, trany temp, T-case temp, and back axle temp.
-front push/brush/bumper/air tank, recessed 2" hitch reserve, "hide away 12v, and hydraulic qd's" for winch.and what ever.
-rock sliders/steps and tanks from in side of tire to inside of tire tire.
-roof rack LED light and HID upgraded kc and spare tire with headache rack fixed to bed and box's,moderate exoskeleton, dump bed.
-custom hd dual wiper arms with air brush function(volcanic ash). PA. air horns drop visor, cool running lights, . and more
hydraulic driven generator/welder, 110 cords, hydraulic 1600lbs winch "lighter than electric by 1/2", welder leeds, chainsaw +bears and chains, hijacks 4' hyd ram, chains .... so on:3shippingcontainers

inboard fuel 100 gal of tanks two skid plates for each.
tall and rap around back bumper integrated in the bed, hydraulic tank/oil slick/smock, recessed 2" hitch reserve, hideaway 7 why, hydraulic Q.D., 12v, air, small crane, LED work lights and back up lights

yes its a custom and yes i can do it, im doing it
pleas highlight any floes or ask any question you might have, would love to give you my honest answer.

220712-2044.jpg 150712-1839(001).jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good video. We agree on most of the manufacturing flaws. My BOV is a Honda Ridgeline. I LOVE it, except the gas mileage blows! 14 mpg is about the best I get, put some asses in the seat and some gear in the trunk/bed and I am in the 10-12 mpg range with a 20 gallon tank. Jerry can, Jerry can, Jerry can.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this might be off topic but here is my truck

PAW BOV
-cummins 12 valve mechanically injected
.the only why mechanically 12valve will shouts off is if there is no air, no fuel or a electrical signal to the fuel pump. custom 4" high flow exhaust w/super quiet mufflers. (not that a diesel can be quiet) snorkel to cyclone air filters then to over sized air filter. HD oversize radiator, inter cooler, oil / hydraulic cooler with 2 electric fans pushing and a air clutch flex fan pulling and hardox steel shutters in grill.
-ZF-6-650 6-speed manual transmission or automatic Allison transmission with P.T.O. driving hydraulic pump
- On bored air gear driven off the motor.

-over sized drive line and U-joints to the T-case
-205 divorced transfer case with a P.T.O.
-drive line shields over all drive line with saddles.
-front Dana 60 closed hubs with chrome moly axials limited slip 4:10 gears and Dana 70 hubs
-rear Dana 60 axial with locker
-1 ton 4x4 international frame gusted, boxed and cross beamed 4" lift over all spring and shackle. approach brush/sapling roller's and steel/aluminum skid plates
-37" run flat tire$ and bead lock wheel$
-1976 X-cab power wagon
-custom cockpit w/dual air ride captain's chairs over head roof console both red or white LED rod lights,
floor console ps3 subs and cup holders! integrated with dash, c.b. ham dvd am/fm many many switches and
-gages oil psi, oil temp, water temp, tach, mph, boost, volts, fuel level, hyd level, hyd temp, hyd psi, air psi, front axle temp, trany temp, T-case temp, and back axle temp.
-front push/brush/bumper/air tank, recessed 2" hitch reserve, "hide away 12v, and hydraulic qd's" for winch.and what ever.
-rock sliders/steps and tanks from in side of tire to inside of tire tire.
-roof rack LED light and HID upgraded kc and spare tire with headache rack fixed to bed and box's,moderate exoskeleton, dump bed.
-custom hd dual wiper arms with air brush function(volcanic ash). PA. air horns drop visor, cool running lights, . and more
hydraulic driven generator/welder, 110 cords, hydraulic 1600lbs winch "lighter than electric by 1/2", welder leeds, chainsaw +bears and chains, hijacks 4' hyd ram, chains .... so on:3shippingcontainers

inboard fuel 100 gal of tanks two skid plates for each.
tall and rap around back bumper integrated in the bed, hydraulic tank/oil slick/smock, recessed 2" hitch reserve, hideaway 7 why, hydraulic Q.D., 12v, air, small crane, LED work lights and back up lights

yes its a custom and yes i can do it, im doing it
pleas highlight any floes or ask any question you might have, would love to give you my honest answer.

View attachment 164 View attachment 165
That is one hell of a machine. I have seen dodges like that last upward of 450,000 as evidenced by my pal Brian's ram that is still running on it's third set of wheel bearings. Original engine too.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using a Conversion Camping Van if I must leave home.
You know what Aquahull? They actually make those in 4X4. I came seriously close to buying one, but it had a few misc problems I didn't feel was worth the asking and the guy refused to budge on the price. It's still for sale actually.

·
Registered
34 Posts
thanks and I can only hope that, that is the plane. I think I need to start a thread on my build. but how do i start a thread?
you where tacking about factory built in defects or just plane defects. my thought on the mater is if the part or vehicle you will use would ether be bulletproof in the application, be easy to find in any scenario, or just have aftermarket upgrades to be bulletproof in the application, your safe. that my rule to building a BOV or just my truck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sorry i both the motor and the dam c-6. guess i have had bad luck. but that thing is so cool. I'd rock it!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh the sink needed work in the camper part and it also needed some electrical work where he tried to modify it. He wanted 16 for it, I said hey- 15 is what I'll do. He chose to walk, funny enough it's still for sale, ppl will always offer lower than his asking but he's too stubborn to come down so his loss. I just didn't feel like messing with it when I could have an FJ.

·
Registered
34 Posts
custom_camper_conv_sportmobile_style_23156724.jpg I have a set of jeep cherokee exiles and a AWD astro van I just got running (4.3 motor replaced). I was thinking of polling all the front running gear, swopping it with a set of leaf's and doing a spring over in the back with the jeep exile. then I can use all the camper stuff out of a old camp trailer I know of. if nothing els I can sell it...

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are definitely cool as hell, I have to settle on a little 16 foot camper or something

·
Registered
34 Posts
They are definitely cool as hell, I have to settle on a little 16 foot camper or something
So what happen? Did u git a camper van or did u stick with a FJ?
I made some major progress on my build

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don;t know, I'm still waiting for a good one to come along, for now I set the FJ up with a big pack that has everything you need to set camp and make fire. I want a casita 16-18 footer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts