Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 23 posts I have not introduced myself.

Hello, My Name is Andy. I am in the midwest, KC to be exact. I have a strong farming/agricultral/ranching and military background (father is a retired Army Sgt Maj and our farm was/still is a stones throw from one of the greatest Army Military Base, so its almost like having been in the military, at least growing up it felt that way.).

My wife and I have been prepping for several yrs, more so for Natural disasters then a global SHTF scenario. However I keep that in the back of my mind and have made MANY low cost Preps and plans. My focus before Aug of the this yr has been food/water/vehicles/routes/plans for different scenarios at different times of day/yr tools etc. but now it has turn towards defense. After the Aurora Colorado Theater shooting and other stories of home break ins, I began looking at my current firearms and home security. It wasn't pretty, we weren't locking the deadbolts on the doors at night and my only gun was locked up under the bed and the for the barrel lock was MIA not to mention the ammo for said gun was in the basement.

We have never given gus much thought. A typical discussion my wife and I would have about guns would end after both of us agreeing we needed to get a hand gun or a rifle. But nothing would happen. Once I finally got off the couch after one of these discussions and went to Dicks sporting goods and bought a Marlin 30-30 with a scope and 200rds. I intended on starting my gun education with hunting. (however I did do the hunter safety training thing when I was in 4H) That same season I shot my first deer. This was 10yrs ago, I have not shot that gun since. Great experience and all just kinda been there done that moving on. In August I bought a 9mm Beretta Nano (intend on getting CCW) and 1000rds of ammo, have not shot it since the day I bought it, but really only cause every weekend has been planned with family activies.

I plan to rectify lack of shooting this weekend (however, as I write this my dad calls and tells me that cattle have breached the pasture where we intended on shooting. It has the perfect backstop, the back side of a pond damn with lots of hack fence post ( I like to hang targets on) that are like indistructable. He has no plans to round them up as he wants to fatten them up and take the steers to market now that cold weather has gotten a jump on us here. I think he did it on purpose so I would help him chop wood. :-x) and they want to go to montana to see my sister before it snows up there.

I intend to add a Mossberg/Remington Tactical Shotgun, a pair of full size Beretta 9mm storms (to keep all my handgun ammo the same) and a pair of ARs (setup 2 diff ways). A tactical type vest that would accomidate the previously mentioned.

Other prep plans include some food grade 55gal barrels for water. Right Now we are still just buying distilled 1gall jugs every couple of trips to the Hyvee. But since my BOL is the farm (about 2hrs drive), I am not too concerned with having alot here in KC to have to load up and Bug out with either. Just enough to make it a month or so if needs be.

Anyways, I have outlined some of my plans and tactics in other posts. I'll stop now.

Great site and I enjoy it.
thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for sharing... I know I do not shoot as often as I should. But time just seems to get away. You at least have a BOL and a plan of action. Many don't even have that. Always have plan-B &C.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
hello andy, i shoot more than i should.

today i ordered some hand tools. those will be golden when there is no gas or electricity.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome and thanks for the nice intro.

A long long time ago, I was really really good with guns. But haven't really shot a gun in about 17 years now. In fact sold just about everything except my old trusty .22 rifle, and that is loaded for rattle snakes. They are not everything in survival , but I suppose could certainly help. Being as I was in the service back in the mid to late 60's, grew up on a farm, hunting and fishing every weekend it wasn't raining too hard, I gained a lot of experience in that fashion. When a person has more guns then he can shoot at once, how is that person going to act should the need ever come up to bug out ? After all, you need not just your bob, but clothes for you, wife and your kids. Food is one of the primary sources of life along with water. That, and that alone will take up a lot of room. Add your weight, food and water's weight to your bov, and if you do the math, it won't leave much for your guns and all that ammo.
If, your planning on bugging out to your dads, farm/ranch, then wouldn't you find it more prudent to store more stuff there, then at your current residence ? Not to mention, that living along side a large military base really does put you in very imminent danger should there be a real problem. I also feel that your choice of a Marling 30/30 is one of the best choice's a person could make. There have been many large game animals including griz. brought down with that old trusty caliber then probably anything else other the an .06. I would pick it myself over one of those stuffed cased .223's anyday. It is a true man stopper. Besides, gun control is hitting your target once and final. Not 25 misses with some semi-auto can shooter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I agree, and this past Sunday (while returning from the farm) we stopped in at Cabelas and looked at their used guns at the Huge Used Gun sale they were having. and they had a nice selection of used Marlins. Some look as if they never had a round put in them. I almost wanted to pick 2 up while there along with a mossberg and a 1911 pistol,, but that wasn't my plan. Plus the wife was giving me a dirty look.

Howdy and welcome from another newby to the site! Being a Marlin man myself you started with a real winner.

1895gunner

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, with having too many guns. My friend who I have been consulting with for my current education in gun Knowledge, is in this boat. I am really aiming more for diversity I guess.

The farm, it is fully stocked. As a matter of fact, this past weekend my wife helped my mother can almost 60cans or so of apple/pears and another 10 of just Jalapenos. She has been canning crazy this summer with her garden producing soo much. which is odd since they were almost as dry as we were.

My father who hasn't been planting crops since I left the farm, but has retained much of the old equipment and even the horse pulled equipment. they have even tapped into the spring fed creek on the lower property and has a plan in place to pipe it into a portable tank. yes we have the farm well supplied. Not overly conserned with being near the base, except for a nuke attack.

Welcome and thanks for the nice intro.

When a person has more guns then he can shoot at once, how is that person going to act should the need ever come up to bug out ? After all, you need not just your bob, but clothes for you, wife and your kids. Food is one of the primary sources of life along with water. That, and that alone will take up a lot of room. Add your weight, food and water's weight to your bov, and if you do the math, it won't leave much for your guns and all that ammo.
If, your planning on bugging out to your dads, farm/ranch, then wouldn't you find it more prudent to store more stuff there, then at your current residence ? Not to mention, that living along side a large military base really does put you in very imminent danger should there be a real problem. I also feel that your choice of a Marling 30/30 is one of the best choice's a person could make. There have been many large game animals including griz. brought down with that old trusty caliber then probably anything else other the an .06. I would pick it myself over one of those stuffed cased .223's anyday. It is a true man stopper. Besides, gun control is hitting your target once and final. Not 25 misses with some semi-auto can shooter.

·
Registered
311 Posts
hello lawn killer i am a former kc boy graduated from souteast high im in texas now come to larwence from time to time.marlin and the ar good choices
here are mine the ar is a del-ton .556 800.00 otd a good shooter targets are 50-75 yds with the ar open sights 20mph wind

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome from Florida!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts