Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a rural area, and plan on Bugging In when the time comes unless something happens to make us change our minds, and then if I have to leave I have 2 areas picked out that are somewhat remote even though they are between where I live now and a large town. Those areas are not accessible unless your on foot or an ATV, and you'd have to honestly know about it to be able to find it.

Soooo.... I have found a new location. Gotta say that "it giggles me" ...... because of who owns it. ::clapping:::lol: (I'll leave it there on that one) But not only is it behind 2 locked gates, but it's more like a fortification the way it's built. The only thing I find wrong with it, is there is a ton of small windows in it, which could be to your advantage or not. There are 8 sleeping areas, and a large concrete "great room", it could easily house both of our whole families with a plentiful water supply. 60 people easily.... It's just sitting empty.....(yes, I have access)

So, with being vague on who might own this, would you take the chance of using it if the SHTF? The way I'm looking at it is, if the SHTF and there is no one moving around, no one is going to find you there. There is no visual of it, it could be easily guarded (if you had enough man power) and no one is going to come knocking on the door doing a neighborhood check....I say it would be first come first serve and up for the takings....

What's your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,482 Posts
I guess it would depend on who owns it and how badly they want it. If it's who I think it is and it's rarely used, I say go for it. Just be ready to defend it.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I say do unto others as you would have them do to you, always keeps me honest.

·
Super Moderator
9,482 Posts
I say do unto others as you would have them do to you, always keeps me honest.
Normally I would wholeheartedly agree.

The scenario she put up was after the SHTF and she had to bug out of her bug in location. That would mean teotwawki. All bets are off when you have to defend your family.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree on the do unto others.....

In a survival situation it would mean a roof over our heads and safety. I kinda feel first come first serve basis on this, but considering "who" is the owner, I think it would be the last place they'd look.

I also wondered while being in it the other day how it come to be built the way it was...?? Accidental planning or some hidden strategy for later use? It could be considered a compound of sorts....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And on another note, I've been here my whole life....and that place never come to mind as a bug out local till I was standing in the middle of it.

Out of sight, out of mind....

But it also hit me that there is 3 more areas similiar to this all within a 15 mile radius...

·
Super Moderator
9,482 Posts
And if they are rarely used, they may have forgotten the places are there.

The point about defending is in case someone remembers it is there. 1st thing to do is replace the locks with your own.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
What if... these are somebody's BOL and they don't want you there? Will you fight the rightful owners? Ask if you can stay too? Or will you leave peacefully and find some place else to bug-in?

Reactions: Montana Rancher

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Normally I would wholeheartedly agree.

The scenario she put up was after the SHTF and she had to bug out of her bug in location. That would mean teotwawki. All bets are off when you have to defend your family.
I disagree

Does the rule of law exist because we fear justice, or because it is the right thing to do?

If it takes this mysterious owner 8 months to arrive at their bug out location, as much as it depends on me, it is their property and they have every right to find it intact and unmolested. To take their property is nothing less than a thief in the night, you willl reap what you sow.

Reactions: Inor

·
Super Moderator
9,482 Posts
I disagree

Does the rule of law exist because we fear justice, or because it is the right thing to do?

If it takes this mysterious owner 8 months to arrive at their bug out location, as much as it depends on me, it is their property and they have every right to find it intact and unmolested. To take their property is nothing less than a thief in the night, you willl reap what you sow.
I commend you. When the rule of law breaks down, instead of hoarding to keep you family going longer you will share with all who come by because it's the right thing to do.

I am not quite as nice as you are, but hey, that's just me. ::rambo::

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Since when is it right to deprive your family to support strangers?
If it's OK to take someone elses BOL then it must be alright for the owners (or anyone else for that matter) to take it back using whatever force it requires.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I do not know "who" the owner is, but if it is Uncle Sugar, I would be real careful about planning to use it in an emergency. If it is an old military installation (as it sounds like it is) it is probably on someone's war maps or target list, which makes it a smoking hole, potentially. If not, and Uncle Sugar wants his sugar shack back, his army of friends may come knocking....

If it is TEOTWAWKI, WROL, well, let's face it, all bets are off, the rules go out the window, and possession is nine-tenths of the law. Hunker down in that bunker and give them hell. Me...I would rather have a place I know is my own, but not every one can do that, so, any port in a storm, and if it is going unused, why let it go to waste? If the owner shows up, he/she/it can have it back.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I guess you use a different book than I do. In my book you provide for your family first then offer charity to others.
If there is no surplus then you offer a prayer.

·
Super Moderator
9,482 Posts
I guess you use a different book than I do. In my book you provide for your family first then offer charity to others.
If you read the original post:

I commend you. When the rule of law breaks down, instead of hoarding to keep you family going longer you will share with all who come by because it's the right thing to do.

I am not quite as nice as you are, but hey, that's just me. ::rambo::

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do not know "who" the owner is, but if it is Uncle Sugar, I would be real careful about planning to use it in an emergency. If it is an old military installation (as it sounds like it is) it is probably on someone's war maps or target list, which makes it a smoking hole, potentially. If not, and Uncle Sugar wants his sugar shack back, his army of friends may come knocking....

If it is TEOTWAWKI, WROL, well, let's face it, all bets are off, the rules go out the window, and possession is nine-tenths of the law. Hunker down in that bunker and give them hell. Me...I would rather have a place I know is my own, but not every one can do that, so, any port in a storm, and if it is going unused, why let it go to waste? If the owner shows up, he/she/it can have it back.
You pretty much nailed it....but it's not a military installation, let's call it a seldom used "retreat". And I'm going on an TEOTWAWKI scenario....other than that, I would never touch it for any other reason, it doesn't belong to me.

But don't get me wrong, if I HAD TOOOOOOOOO...........and it was a save our life scenario, like I said, first come, first serve.

·
Super Moderator
9,482 Posts
I disagree

I was just re-reading this, look at post 26

http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/...ian-warriors-when-not-turn-other-cheek-3.html

We aren't actually that far apart in our thinking. BTW, that was a really good thread.

My only real point was, worse case scenario, most likely all bets are off.

I know we can banter back and forth here but neither one of us can truly know what we will do for sure under those circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
9,072 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulS

Originally Posted by inceptor

I am not quite as nice as you are, but hey, that's just me.
While I understand that as a Christian, I should help my neighbors, I have some thoughts about it.

I would find it very hard not to help my neighbors, one reason I added a lot of rice and beans, to give away and/or barter. My biggest fear is that they will soon be back for the their next hand out. When I decide I can no longer give it away, will they become belligerent and attack me? If so, why did I start giving it away in the first place??? Charity begins at home, but...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts