Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had two mountain lions and a bear prowling around (although I've seen no evidence other than neighbors saying so). Now we apparently have a bobcat.

We went to AZ this weekend to visit some friends and Lady Sas' mom watched our house for us and fed the animals. She swears she saw a bobcat wandering around. The way she describes it sounds like a bobcat to me. I've seen bobcats out while hiking and have a pretty good idea how they react to humans but I don't know much about what they are willing to do to get at a meal.

So we have the goats and they are housed at night in what is basically an old chicken coop. No way in or out except for a door that is shut at night. My question is would a bobcat try to dig under the chicken wire section of a coop to get at a meal? I have no idea so I'm throwing out to any of you that have more experience with this.

What say you?

Reactions: Michael_Js

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
We have a LOT of bobcats here but have not had any trouble with them inside our fence line. Our fence is just standard 4 foot red wire cattle fence with 4" mesh on the bottom with 3 strands of barb on the top. It is good fence but certainly nothing extreme. I do not think I would trust chicken wire (for bobcats or even chickens), but I also would not worry much about bobcats digging. At least that has been my experience.

P.S. If you can trap the cats, the pelts from the toms are worth quite a bit of money. Give me a call if you want the contact info for an auction house in Alaska that will buy all of them you can get.

·
Super Moderator
9,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How big are the bobcats where you live?
I didn't see it the MIL did. But from what I have experienced in the past about the size of a medium size dog.

We have a LOT of bobcats here but have not had any trouble with them inside our fence line. Our fence is just standard 4 foot red wire cattle fence with 4" mesh on the bottom with 3 strands of barb on the top. It is good fence but certainly nothing extreme. I do not think I would trust chicken wire (for bobcats or even chickens), but I also would not worry much about bobcats digging. At least that has been my experience.

P.S. If you can trap the cats, the pelts from the toms are worth quite a bit of money. Give me a call if you want the contact info for an auction house in Alaska that will buy all of them you can get.
I'm not sure on the particulars but I would guess it is against the law to trap them here (it is CA after all). I was just worried about the possible digging. Chances are nothing could get into that enclosure but you know the saying...never say never.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Never heard of a bobcat digging and I've never heard of them attacking goats as goats are too big. You'd have issues if you had poultry, though.
Bobcats prey on adult whitetail deer so, I think a goat would be on the menu.

Game camera pictures, of "Big Bob", another when he was out in a field. He is a BIG bobcat!

This one I've seen on my deck before dawn, waiting for grey squirrels to come to the bird feeder. One time the squirrel made it to a big white pine before he could catch up. Several squirrels live in the pine, they were chattering away scolding the cat below. The cat was obviously pissed off having missed breakfast, his short bobby tail twitching as he looked up. Then he sulked away into the woods...... I was just getting up drinking a coffee as it got light, should have grabbed the camera for that one

Big Bob.png

bobby7pic.jpg

bob2.jpg

I had another smaller one come to the bird feeder (Mrs Bob?), kind of curious, had a look into the basement window.

bird feeder bobby.jpg

bobcat2.jpg

edit:

reference to bobcats preying on deer in Fla

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=855699

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Night vision type trail cameras will show you a world right out side your door at night you never dreamed of.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We lost half our chickens to a Bobcat. Watched them come up to the front yard at midday and snag one in front of us. Cougar in fields lately, but when we hired a new "ranch security" officer and the attacks have stopped.

Meet Officer "Sparticus":

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Sometimes I pull the card from camera and Payton and I sit and watch all the critters sneaking around at night. It also helps you get an Idea what times they come around. Easier to ambush them if need be.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
We lost half our chickens to a Bobcat. Watched them come up to the front yard at midday and snag one in front of us. Cougar in fields lately, but when we hired a new "ranch security" officer and the attacks have stopped.

Meet Officer "Sparticus":
I have friends who keep goats. They hire out their herd out for vegetation control. Their livestock losses have shrunk to zero for the past couple of years since adding a guard dog to their herd. I can't remember what kind of dog she is, but she looks like Sparticus.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
Trail cam at night provides mucho entertainment.

Never heard of a bobcat digging but I have heard of them climbing.

Coyotes around here mostly although we do have some bobcats.

·
Super Moderator
9,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Night vision type trail cameras will show you a world right out side your door at night you never dreamed of.
I have trail cams. I've caught all kinds of things but no bobcat, mountain lion or bear. That's why I'm wondering if the people seeing these things are letting their imagination get the best of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I have trail cams. I've caught all kinds of things but no bobcat, mountain lion or bear. That's why I'm wondering if the people seeing these things are letting their imagination get the best of them.

They may not have gotten around to you yet.

Reactions: Sasquatch

·
Super Moderator
9,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They may not have gotten around to you yet.
Maybe not. Last night I had something howling, it seemed like, just outside my bedroom window at about 3am. I've heard just about every animal that would be in my area but I've never heard anything like that. Didnt sound like a yote but I'm guessing it must've been.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Maybe not. Last night I had something howling, it seemed like, just outside my bedroom window at about 3am. I've heard just about every animal that would be in my area but I've never heard anything like that. Didnt sound like a yote but I'm guessing it must've been.

Most every animal I have ever dealt with has two things that keep it coming back. Food and some thing to breed. If they don't find that they leave.

·
Administrator
14,685 Posts
About 500 acres were logged out a few hundred yards from our place, and all the animals had to relocate.
A bobcat passing thru climbed the 6 foot chain link fence around our chicken area and killed two hens.
I got him on the game cam, I know it was a bobcat.
I set out two live traps to get the sucker, but he never came back.

Reactions: Sasquatch

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
Bobcats prey on adult whitetail deer so, I think a goat would be on the menu.

Game camera pictures, of "Big Bob", another when he was out in a field. He is a BIG bobcat!

This one I've seen on my deck before dawn, waiting for grey squirrels to come to the bird feeder. One time the squirrel made it to a big white pine before he could catch up. Several squirrels live in the pine, they were chattering away scolding the cat below. The cat was obviously pissed off having missed breakfast, his short bobby tail twitching as he looked up. Then he sulked away into the woods...... I was just getting up drinking a coffee as it got light, should have grabbed the camera for that one

View attachment 108737

View attachment 108739

View attachment 108741

I had another smaller one come to the bird feeder (Mrs Bob?), kind of curious, had a look into the basement window.

View attachment 108743

View attachment 108745

edit:

reference to bobcats preying on deer in Fla

Behaviors of Bobcats Preying on White-tailed Deer in the Everglades - PredatorMasters Forums
Wow! Never saw a bobcat that I'd think could take down anything but a fawn but I've seen them taking chickens and squirrels.
Guess I should see them as a threat, now.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts