Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everybody have for their BOB medical supplies, I'm tearing my BOB apart and starting over from scratch, looking to see what others have in theirs.

Also, inform me on what quickclot is and where i can get some!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I had a full medical kit with saline wound wash, gause, bandages, disinfectant, needle, thread ALL that. I had it under the seat in my BOV and when I got in that crash, it never crossed my mind that it was right under me within arms reach while I was bleeding out. Made me rethink the whole thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello there! Not sure if anyone has answered your quikclot question yet, but just so you know the Quickclot powder is no longer used. They now make Quickclot combat gauze's. If for some reason you end up getting the powder version DO NOT use it. Its too messy and can cause serious burns if it gets into your eyes. The Air Force no longer uses the powder form due to it causing more harm then good. If you get the gauzes it pretty much does the same thing except its safer and cleaner. All you have to do is pack the gauze into the wound and it will stop the bleeding. http://www.lapolicegear.com/qucoga.html is a nice site to buy from. Most other places you need a medical order form. So my best suggestion is to look around on ebay or amazon and try and find a better price. Hope this answers your question.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
there is also alum, but look into it. not fun stuff to use at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A lot of factors go in to planning a medical kit, size being the prevailing factor, but ultimately first aid kits are deemed to basic by most in our positions because we are planning for events that just don't happen everyday and therefore need more stuff, so all you can really do is make a list of everything you think that TSHTF could do to you in your are of the world, and buy everything that fixes everything on your list, best I can think of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What does everybody have for their BOB medical supplies, I'm tearing my BOB apart and starting over from scratch, looking to see what others have in theirs.

Also, inform me on what quickclot is and where i can get some!
you can buy it on amazon it stops your bleeding

·
Registered
195 Posts
No expert but I'd stay away from the prepackaged medical kits. Been my experience that they are chock full of substandard and overpriced crap. Find a good list of must haves and nice to haves then get the must haves. If you need this kit long term keep in mind that your sanitary situation and having access to clean water may be lacking. GI issues are a bitch in the field. The likelihood of getting dysentery is higher than a GSW (in my humble opinion anyway).

Max

Reactions: JDE101

·
Registered
8 Posts
No expert but I'd stay away from the prepackaged medical kits. Been my experience that they are chock full of substandard and overpriced crap. Find a good list of must haves and nice to haves then get the must haves. If you need this kit long term keep in mind that your sanitary situation and having access to clean water may be lacking. GI issues are a bitch in the field. The likelihood of getting dysentery is higher than a GSW (in my humble opinion anyway).

Max
I agree I've made my own and it's far better

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I keep a medical kit with many things in my vehicle or about anywhere I am vehicle,home etc.. It has iodine,suture kit,syringes,pain med(including injectable stuff) quick clot and quick clot bandage,israeli bandage,halo seals,super glue,saran wrap,tampons(for bullet holes),otc meds,shears,scalpel,tweezers,alcohol,peroxide,antibiotics and many others. I aklsoi keep a blowout kit with me that ONLY has lifesaving supplies such as quick clot bandage/powder,israeili bandage,tampons,saran wrap,syringes and nubain,halo seals,nasal airway,compression gauge,celox hemmorhagic gauze,sofft-w tourniquet and a fewe other items. By blowout kit goes EVERYWHERE I go. I usually keep it in my edc bag but it is something you should always have with you. And it should ONLY have lifesaving shit in it. No bandaids or asprin type of stuff.. I was in a hurry, I will try to write a more detailed post when I get hope. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
No expert but I'd stay away from the prepackaged medical kits.
I agree, to a point; if you've had a chance to use your first aid kit in a real world application, or you've taken some courses on first aid, you should just skip the one size fits all packages and go straight to building your own from the ground up. On the other hand, if you aren't sure where to start, they make an excellent starting point. Over time you toss the pieces you've never used (short of trauma stuff that hopefully you never have to use) and replace the things you do use with the kind you like to use.

That being said, the Adventure Medical mini kits -- the very small $5-$15 dollar kits -- are excellent additions to any experience level. They're not full of fluff, just what you need to get one particular job done. Their larger kits are a great starting point, but can be a little expensive and as mentioned will have at least a couple items in them you will never even use, let alone understand.

If you have access to first aid courses in your area, TAKE ONE! It could save a life, including your own. If they happen to be red cross courses, skip their basic first aid as it's pretty much nothing but triage and how to call 911. Take their wilderness first aid course where they'll actually teach some useful information... as well as how to call 911.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Here is a good link to the different hemostatics (Quik-Clot, etc.) available. I prefer the Celox products personally.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=s-hemostatics

I'll second everyone's advice to get first aid instruction before you actually need it.

Then you'll have enough info to build yourself a medical kit or first aid kit that is actually useful when you really need one.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
looking at this and other bob first aid posts... a lot of "need everything" posts come up

you're talking first aid with no support... having bucket loads of first aid gear is a wast of money and time in a bob, a simple kit with a small amount of extras is all that is really needed...

and adopt the attitude, if you need more, it's not likely the casualty will recover, were talking bob, where shtf and minimal - no support available...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey, it's worth noting that many sterile items have an expiration date on them. This is an expiration of the sterile packaging that the 1st aid item is enclosed in. Checking expirations should be a part of your regular BOB and evacuation plan reviews. I wrote an article about conducting these reviews and prepared a BOB and Evacuation Plan Update Checklist, if anyone is interested I can post the link.

Here is an image of a sterile irrigation tube with the expiration date circled for your reference:
sterile irrigation.gif

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Hey, it's worth noting that many sterile items have an expiration date on them. This is an expiration of the sterile packaging that the 1st aid item is enclosed in. Checking expirations should be a part of your regular BOB and evacuation plan reviews. I wrote an article about conducting these reviews and prepared a BOB and Evacuation Plan Update Checklist, if anyone is interested I can post the link.

Here is an image of a sterile irrigation tube with the expiration date circled for your reference:
View attachment 4391
the picture you posted is THE MOST IMPORTANT ITEM TO CHECK!!!

the worry is not the sterile factor, this product can become mild hydrochloric acid one it's past its date (I don't know the exact time frame)

bandages, dressings and usual stuff that has a use by date don't really need to worry about unless packaging is damaged

this is 2nd hand information from a reputable first aid contractor (where changing out of date items like bandages makes him more money) and I believe him..

·
Registered
36 Posts
the picture you posted is THE MOST IMPORTANT ITEM TO CHECK!!!

the worry is not the sterile factor, this product can become mild hydrochloric acid one it's past its date (I don't know the exact time frame)

bandages, dressings and usual stuff that has a use by date don't really need to worry about unless packaging is damaged

this is 2nd hand information from a reputable first aid contractor (where changing out of date items like bandages makes him more money) and I believe him..
Good catch pheniox! Thanks for the heads up.

Other items such as bandages, ointments, creams, lances, scalpels, etc have expirations on their sterility in addition to that irrigation tube.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
yea 90% of first aid gear has a date that's not necessarily correct...

you have to use some... dear I say it... common sense
creams, yep when out of date is a no brainer

bandages/dressing, they are nothing more than.cotton/plastic mix, would you put a use by date on a shirt?? or jeans, they rot but you can see that (and it takes years and storage of clothing is generally different to first aid)

so use your head... that's the best advice, and be super anal with eye wash/saline products...

·
Registered
988 Posts
For a bug out bag, I've answered this in another thread but I can paraphrase...

In a BOB, I would focus purely on trauma type first aid. Bandages, tourniquets, Quikclot gauze, splints, tape, naso tube with lube, forceps/hemostats (for removing bullets), one way pressure valve (for deflated lung), Antivenom for local critter stings/bites, A bottle of colloidal silver, and MAYBE IV stuff if you have anough room.

At your LOL (Live out Life) location...Have EVERYTHING you can get your hands on and a dedicated area/ward/room to store them with a table/bed for patient care. Peroxides, lactated ringers and other IV fluids, catheters, needles and syringes, medications, surgeon equipment, stethoscopes, gauze, pain meds, more gauze, hell...rip off a hospital if you can.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts