Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I agree. We often talk here about this piece of gear and that, and people think how they can't afford whatnot right now, but they can make a useful kit out of what's either lying around or can easily be scrounged. I myself, have simply put a lot of priority into my BOB and bugout gear, because that what my situation dictates when it gets too bad. I'd love to have a sweet 20 acres out in the woods, set up and secure, but I don't right now. I have BOL's, but that not where I live and so I have to get to them. If someone is pinching to put together a BOB, this is a good example of a direction they can go for now.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Nothing wrong with making do, that's what prepping is about I thought. Now is the time to buy the good stuff you can while you have some money but let's not forget that the money may not be there later and think twice about throwing some things away just because we don't need them right now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm a firm believer in packing a BOB with reliable and robust items, not things salved from a recycle center or garbage dump. In a survival situation, you can scrounge for those items and build what you need to. However, if you are truly prepared, you will have robust, quality items that will not break when you need them most.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a firm believer in packing a BOB with reliable and robust items, not things salved from a recycle center or garbage dump. In a survival situation, you can scrounge for those items and build what you need to. However, if you are truly prepared, you will have robust, quality items that will not break when you need them most.
Only the lousy mechanic blames his tools.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Particular things can't be scrounged of course that have a very high value. (Unless you happen to be lucky enough to scrounge from a outdoor store) An old tin can to boil water in, isn't a replacement for a good water filter. If you're on the move, boiling water takes time, and makes smoke too. A needle on a leaf in a pool of water, isn't as good as a good compass which you can navigate from, picking an azimuth to navigate by and continuing on it till you get where you want to go. An old box of matches and a couple Bic's don't replace a good fire steel and the huge amount of fires it can make regardless of whether you took a swim in a river to cross it just before. Hard to replace to a quality fixed blade with a steak knife to do bushcraft, making your shelters, tinder, traps and whittled tools. there is a lot that can be scrounged though if one needs too and that saved money can go to other less scroungable items.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I agree with ekim, nothing wrong with making do. The important thing is knowing what functions and abilities you need your items to perform, and the creativity to fill those needs in a crunch.

We have a few newer members in their teens who are still living at home, and do not have much in the way of disposable income. This type of information and way of thinking can go a long way towards helping them build functional supplies and equipment that is world's better than having nothing.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Learning how to do this now and kicking in the thought process will help some down the road when they have to get creative.
Improvise, adapt, and overcome. We possibly may not know where we will be when the SHTF and we may have left at home our Bear Grillis super survival knife, fire starter, compass with bear's picture on the inside and our pistol with the built in knife that everyone says on the internet that you can't survive without. These are skills like inceptor said could work well down the road if you are left without supplies. Another thing is they look like trash and may be overlooked unlike the flashy orange Bear Grillis stuff that TV survivalists will want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.