Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put some canned goods into my BOB such as soup, fruit, vegetables, etc. All canned goods have an expiration date. How long are canned goods good past the expiration date? Has anyone found some good deals on frozen meals at bass pro?

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Lots and lots of debate over canned foods actual expiration date, some questions are is the expiration date an actual do not eat date, how much does temp effect the expiration date, so many questions..Me personally, I haven't worried about canned food for my bug in or bug out situation, i try to rotate my pantry goods at home, and try new products at work.
I would carefully try any canned food that was questionable, especially anything with meat in it, like a mouse does. Try one bite, if you dont get upset stomache in 2 hours, prob ok. but, then again, I would eat a bug without any hesitation, so i might not be a good reference..
Research, ask questions, and welcome to the group.

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
Most dates on foods are "Best used by" date, not expiration dates. When I was in service, I was eating C-rations somewhere around 8-9 years old. They were fine. We had another thread that commented on this same question. Basically, if the can is intact, non leaking, has no bulges, etc., it should be fine. I have no qualms pushing food a year past date. But on a yearly basis, I rotate my foods into my pantry to use and replace them for my BOB. I as well as others here go with the adage of prep what you eat and eat what you prep. Eating the usual foods you normally eat will help keep a little normalcy in an un-normal situation, especially for kids.

Try searching for the thread: FIFO, eat what you store...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Oh and BTW for bug-ins, I am currently putting Soy Milk (non refrigerated that I purchased 2x$1 from a Amish store locally) on my granola and raisin bran that has an expiration date of 8/2012.

Expiration dates are for pussies, if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The checks I use are as follows.

Can bulged?
Can leaking?
Can has on surface rust that you can scrape back to clean metal without a leak?

If all three answers are no then the contents should be good to eat.

The thing to think about is that in an environment with plenty of water then freeze-dried would be good to use and save weight BUT in an arid environment then canned food like stews, chilli, chunky soups and canned fruit in syrup would be handy as they have a notable water content.

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
I agree with SuburbanSurvival & MontanaRancher! For my 3 day bag, I have only dehydrated camping food. Very light weight, but you need extra water for it. In my area, I don't feel find water is a big problem for the first 3 days.

·
Registered
425 Posts
For BOB just carry high calorie energy bars. Save real food for BOL. For a week one can live on most anything that supplies calorie energy to the body. BO won't be a nice camping trip into the birdsong forest... It will be s##t and gjt!

·
Registered
72 Posts
@ paraquack

I get where you are coming from and in my area of the UK if I had to GTFO to start with I would have no problem finding water but in the later stage of the BO I would, so cans with a water content are gonna help thats why I have some in my GTFO bag. Thats just a peculiarity of my route and BOL1.

The main reason I mentioned the water content of some canned goods is for those who live in arid areas like Arizona and the rest of the South Western US or areas like it. I think living in that sort of area having a few cans perhaps not a a primary food in the BOB but as a just in case you run short of water could be worth considering.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I pack canned tuna and sardines (both in oil) in my BOB. It does not weigh that much (hit the gym), and requires no water to have some protein to eat. I also carry small cans of wet food for my dog. I also pack beef jerky, and canned chili (no beans). Hard salami. Trail mix. Hard candy. And coffee.... And a box of Pepto-Bismol tablets. And NSAIDs and aspirin for pain relief.

My rule on canned foods is the same as all food - if in doubt, throw it out. Food poisoning blows - literally. You get a bad case of vomiting and the runs, and you can get very sick very fast....

If I was truly starving, and had no other choice, I would heat it over a fire in the can, or boil the can/contents, then eat it. Beats dying of hunger, but otherwise, if in doubt, throw it out....

·
Registered
966 Posts
My goal is about 100 calories/ounce for my pack food. Canned goods will never make it. If I had to choose just one food it would probably be peanut butter, high in calories and protein, no need to cook, cheap, long lasting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts