Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to prepping, looking at buidling a BOB. Here's my problem, there are a lot of different bags to choice from. I'm looking for a good quality Med. to high end ben looking at Maxpedition, 5.11 Tactical and Blackhawk. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Best advice any one ever gave me was this - you want a TWO BAG system. Your main BOB is one bag and then attached to it is a HAR Bag - Haul Ass and Run

Example:
Your BOB may have 3 days of food - HAR has 1 day.
Your BOB may have a walkie talkie - HAR has a signal mirror.
Your BOB has a trauma kit - your HAR has a few bandaids.

Got it?

Now take all of the things you want to put in these bags and start saving them some where. You can put it in a tub from Walmart or just use the guest bedroom - but start your stockpile where other family members wont be filching crap out of your bag stash. It drives me crazy when people violate the bag with out so much as a word that I need to replace something.

When you think you have the items you need to put in your BOB/HAR then look to see how much size you need. Only then will you buy the right bag.

If you buy before you have a stash, then you will either get one too small and not have enough, or you will get one that is too big and that space will get filled with more BOB stuff - but usually unnecessary stuff.

All of the manufacturers you have mentioned are great. So is VooDoo Tactical. Right now the DOD is de-issuing a lot of the gear troops have been carrying and they are getting a new backpack style. That means gently used backpacks will be hitting markets soon. I'm holding out for battle tested at a discount.

If you want your HAR bag can fit INSIDE the BOB. Or... If you get a M.O.L.L.E./P.A.L.S. bag, it can strap on the outside for reasonably quick detatchment.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you are like me, you started a list of the stuff people have suggested and then got overwhelmed by advice on gear.

I had a moment where I realized that I actually already had a lot of the material, just no place to put it.

Anything you have that you can carry is a good start. You can always upgrade once you have all of the basics in one container.

GTGallop suggestions are great. I also plan for 3 distinct scenarios that call for sligthly different gear:
1) "Get Home" - I have a pack in my car with the equipment I need make the 26 mile hike home from work. I am not going anywhere without my family...period.
2) "Stay Put" - Bulk containers and alot of less portable food stuffs and material at the house
3) "SHTF" - Much of the same material as in the "Stay Put" scenario except more portable and more spread across the backs of my family members.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
31 Posts
My wife and I have Kelty Redwing bags (mine the 50L hers is the 40L)...they are backpacking style (we do a lot of backpacking), now you dont get to attach 30,000 Molle pouches to it but at $75 on Amazon best bang for your buck hands down.

·
Registered
240 Posts
MOLLE-Assault-Pack.jpg If you are still looking for a pack, you may want to check to see if there are any military surplus stores near you. I found 1 and have bought several things at mine. The packs I bought for my wife and I are backpack style. They were 35 dollars and had a hard plastic liner.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mission drives the gear. A better question to asking 'Do I need a BOB?" is "Do I have a plan in place before I need to leave?" or "What can I do to prepare my current place so I don't need leave at all?". Once these questions can be answered, the logistics planning becomes more focused.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The idea I am going to be using to build my first dedicated BOB is this.

Modular bag/webbing set.

Main bag - General BOB supplies
Minor bag 1 - HAR bag
Minor bag 2 - There will be multiple SHTF situation specific BOB add-on bags

I figure this way as long as I keep each SHTF specific bag clearly marked if something should happen I can just grab the correct add-on and go without having to hump a huge amount of extra weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts