Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Yes, liquid bleach from the store that is unscented is an excellent method to kill bacteria in water. It only takes 8 to 12 drops per gallon of water so you only need a small bottle with a "dropper" spout built in. I use an eye drop bottle like for "Visine" or other over-the-counter eye medication. Flush it with water and then dry it before filling with liquid bleach. You can also use the dry chlorine products from pool supply houses but the dosages are different - they are cheaper on a per use basis but for me they are less convenient.

Reactions: DKYACHT

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
A Gatorade type bottle is fine but how are you going to measure out twelve drops to a gallon or three drops to a quart?
I guess you cold use a plastic stick of some kind but a straw is too big to get a single drop at a time.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
A Visine bottle will hold an ounce or more of bleach which is enough to easily last the 3 days that a BOB is planned to support. Even in a desert region when two gallons a day is good hydration that only amounts to a maximum of 72 drops which is about a tablespoon of bleach. A twelve once drink bottle would last a year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts