Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
In WA state, they are an invasive species...I do my best to cut back the billions of plants we have ;)

We still gather large crops and have yet to taste my wife's homemade blackberry brandy from last year.

We also have late July/early August picking parties where co-workers/friends come and pick as much as they want. Doesn't make much of a dent!

We've made jam, syrup,...they are truly annoying here as they will take over any space!! It's one of my ongoing projects to keep space clear.

You can look up the guy who created the invasive species in WA state. https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/29/491797791/the-strange-twisted-story-behind-seattles-blackberries

peace,
Michael J.

·
Administrator
14,702 Posts
Around Answered Prayers Farm they are both a curse and a blessing.
A curse because they spread from underground runners like a noxious weed.
A blessing because I leave them alone along our fence that runs along the public road. This will have a tendency to prohibit bad actors climbing the fence and channeling them to either of the two gates.
Military Tactics 101.

·
Super Moderator
3,048 Posts
My all time favorite is blackberry jam. I planted a new patch of blackberries last year so it will be another year or two before i get a decent harvest. My old patch stopped producing berries. The local ag extension guy told me sometimes they get a virus and stop production. I ripped em out and planted the new patch far away from the old spot. I do have mature blueberries and red raspberries.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In WA state, they are an invasive species...I do my best to cut back the billions of plants we have ;)
Yes, wild blackberries grow everywhere around here... as do muscadines. However the wild ones are nowhere near as sweet or as large as the cultivated varieties. Wild blackberries also have a fraction of the berries per plant. Plus the wild blackberries have thorns.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My all time favorite is blackberry jam. I planted a new patch of blackberries last year so it will be another year or two before i get a decent harvest. My old patch stopped producing berries. The local ag extension guy told me sometimes they get a virus and stop production. I ripped em out and planted the new patch far away from the old spot. I do have mature blueberries and red raspberries.
My wife does a B&B jam. Half blueberry and half blackberry. My favorite however is peach jam.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Oh, and by the way... these are thornless!
Arkansas variety?
That's an amazing bounty y'all have there! I may plant some along a perimeter fence next season. I put a single bush inside the yard and it never really grew or produced. The few berries that did fill out got poached before they darkened. I dug it up and tossed it.

In better news, my overplanted humble little 4X8 is doing nicely so far. In my mind I've settled on securing a 30x50 area with an 8' fence to keep Bambi and his buddies out. Maybe in time for this Fall but most likely over Winter to get it all 'just so' for 2021! I recently watched the Back to Eden documentary and I'm intrigued and inspired.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Arkansas variety?
That's an amazing bounty y'all have there! I may plant some along a perimeter fence next season. I put a single bush inside the yard and it never really grew or produced. The few berries that did fill out got poached before they darkened. I dug it up and tossed it.

In better news, my overplanted humble little 4X8 is doing nicely so far. In my mind I've settled on securing a 30x50 area with an 8' fence to keep Bambi and his buddies out. Maybe in time for this Fall but most likely over Winter to get it all 'just so' for 2021! I recently watched the Back to Eden documentary and I'm intrigued and inspired.
Yep, ones developed by the Univ. Arkansas... Apache & Ouachita. These are in my garden and are well taken care of. They are on drip irrigation and I fertilize regularly. There are 4 trellis wires providing support. But it shows how much you can get when they are properly cared for. Years ago, I had these down in the orchard, where my muscadines are now. They also were on drip irrigation but I didn't care for them as often and they did much worse with all sorts of weeds in amongst the plants. As thick as they are now, weeds don't stand a chance.

Good luck on your garden!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, these varieties are supposed to be self-erect... not needing support. That was one of my problems when I grew them in the orchard. I didn't have a trellis for them and they would fall over requiring me to top them. When cared for properly, each plant can put out canes that can get 8-12' long. So a trellis is really necessary unless you would rather cut them back.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts

We still gather large crops and have yet to taste my wife's homemade blackberry brandy from last year.

We also have late July/early August picking parties where co-workers/friends come and pick as much as they want. Doesn't make much of a dent!

We've made jam, syrup,...they are truly annoying here as they will take over any space!! It's one of my ongoing projects to keep space clear.

You can look up the guy who created the invasive species in WA state. https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/29/491797791/the-strange-twisted-story-behind-seattles-blackberries

peace,
Michael J.
Please send any unwanted brandy to SteveKozak C/O Deep Hidden Bunker, SE of You, USA......

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You going to make some wine? That is a good wine-crop right there!!
Nah. We make jams & jellies plus freeze them for cobbler throughout the year. Matter of fact, last night my wife made a peach cobbler.

I have much more of an apple crop... about 150 trees. I have the equipment to grind, press & ferment to make apple cider. Just holding off till I retire to have time to do it.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
There is a story for you, Denton!! :vs_shocked::vs_lol:
I would man we would be picking baskets of them and eating them all day, you fill your gut with those you'll need a mudflap in the mornin

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
When we lived in western Washington state they grew everywhere.very invasive,we liked to pick and eat them and also liked them growing all over our back fence to keep the aholes out.

I knew several police officers and they would chase the bad ones down to a dead end and let them bail to the blackberries.

We are growing some now to overtake some weeds in our backyard and some wild elderberry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts