Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking into purchasing a firearm for a while now and everyone keeps saying "start with a shotgun" after looking at all the possibiliteis one in particular has caught my eye, the Remington Versamax Sportsman. Some of the key features I really like about it is its able to shot all types of shells, and five chokes. I'd primarily be using this for hunting so please keep that in mind! I've gone to academy and the had it priced at $850.

So to keep things short my question is, Is there any other shotguns with similar features around that price point, and what are they?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The 870 and Mossberg 500 series all have barrels that use screw-in chokes and are chambered for the 3-1/2" shells. They sell for about 75% of that price new and are available used for considerably less. Both can be fine hunting guns and both have shorter barrels available for "defense" uses. Pump shotguns with rare exceptions are all good choices and the difference in price is usually cosmetic difference and not functionality.

Handle a few different makes and see what feels good. If you can fire a few to see how they fit you and what you might have to do to the gun to "make it fit".

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Remington 870. theres lots of them everywhere and hell if you needed to in a pinch parts are plentiful. I have a little 410 so that all I can offer up about shotguns.

im a handgun kinda gal. for your 1st gun you should get a ruger 10/22 they are so freaking practical or go 9mm or 40 cal m&p.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Ive been looking into purchasing a firearm for a while now and everyone keeps saying "start with a shotgun" after looking at all the possibiliteis one in particular has caught my eye, the Remington Versamax Sportsman. Some of the key features I really like about it is its able to shot all types of shells, and five chokes. I'd primarily be using this for hunting so please keep that in mind! I've gone to academy and the had it priced at $850.

So to keep things short my question is, Is there any other shotguns with similar features around that price point, and what are they?
I am confused, I just purchased a Remington 870 Tactical shotgun for $389 (November 5th) I don't know where or how yours would go above $400?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
A few days ago I purchased a used Remington 870 for $200. I'll likely pick up an 18" barrel for it someday, but I have a Mossy 500 for home defense.

As for now, the Infidel Ducks must die!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The Versamax is an autoloader, which automatically puts it at a higher price point than most pump action shotguns. There are quite a few features on it, and by features I don't mean knick knacks, I mean build quality etc that are worth the money, especially for a dedicated hunting gun.

If you're open to a pump action, the 870 Wingmaster will still run a cheaper tab, leaving you lots of money left over to buy ammo or accessories such as a case, cleaning kit, etc. If you get any model 870 you know you're always going to have a gun you can rely on and one you can easily modify to suit your tastes.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Although it's a rattle trap , the Mossberg Ulti-Mag 835 will do the job without breaking the bank.Your shoulder maybe.

The 3 1/2 " chambers are great for waterfowl,but they get real heavy after carrying them around bird hunting. For deer hunting all you need is a 2/3/4" chamber to shoot the Hornady SST sabot slugs.

For waterfowl hunting you do not want a nice shiny gun, you need a dull finish so the ducky's can't spot it as well,and you want something fairly cheap so you don't cry so hard when it gets banged against the boat,rocks,blind,dropped in the water,mud,manure.......

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Buy the 870 new for $400 or less and save the extra money for shells etc. It will reliably shoot the shells you want.

For the $850 you could buy a used 870 for $300 bucks AND pick up a low end AR-15 for $650 or less, DPMS Oracle. AR will be a better first weapon over the shotgun, IMO. Wouldn't want to be limited in range with the shotgun if I had only one weapon.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'd say get a pump an example of which would be a Mossberg 500 with two barrels 18" and 26" approx $300 you could then also get a used scoped rifle and plenty of ammo for both. This would cover a wide range of applications.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Buy the 870 new for $400 or less and save the extra money for shells etc. It will reliably shoot the shells you want.

For the $850 you could buy a used 870 for $300 bucks AND pick up a low end AR-15 for $650 or less, DPMS Oracle. AR will be a better first weapon over the shotgun, IMO. Wouldn't want to be limited in range with the shotgun if I had only one weapon.
Alright. That does it, I can't take it any more. I'm saying it.

It's been days, and on numerous occasions people have made very reasonable suggestions to purchase or otherwise use an AR for a variety of functional purposes.

I think something horribly bad has happened to BigCheeseStick. He hasn't piped up once. Does anyone know if he's okay? I'm being serious. He's either in the hospital or a monastery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Versamax is an autoloader, which automatically puts it at a higher price point than most pump action shotguns. There are quite a few features on it, and by features I don't mean knick knacks, I mean build quality etc that are worth the money, especially for a dedicated hunting gun.
This would definitely be a dedicated hunting gun and after reading reviews on the gun I would have to say the price seems it would be well worth it, everyone seems to be very satisfied with it. I've only ever shot one other autoloader and it is a very nice feature. I'm still in my researching phase however and still open to suggestions although one thing the associate at academy mentioned was that I would definitely want a 28" barrel for hunting, could someone explain why that is?

I'm still new to hunting, I've been a few times but I've been trying to get out there as often as I can while the season is still open! (those who can't tell my knowledge is slim to none, just trying to learn as much as I can before I "pull the trigger" so to speak ;-))

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I love my Mossberg 500. I looked at several lower priced alternatives from Stevens, Tri Star, Stoeger etc. Glad I spent the extra 100.00. Now I need to buy the vent rib barrel with accu chokes. Come hell or high water I'm blasting some birds this spring.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
And Bio, good luck this year. There are plenty of experienced big game hunters here including me. If there is anyway I can help don't hesitate to ask. :)

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
If someone had no weapons at all I'd recommend (in this order)

($400 used with accessories and ammo) 1. 10-22
($600 new with accessories and ammo) 2. 870/500/590 (Remington or Mossy) 12 gauge
($750 new with mas, ammo, cleaning) 3. RIA 1911 45 tactical model - about $525 in most free states
($1,000 low end model + mags, ammo parts) 4. AR15 M4
($750 with decent scope, bipod ammo) 5. bolt action 223/5.56mm preferrably that uses AR magazines
($325 with extra mag) 6. 22 Conv kit (Kimber) for the 1911
)$250 with extra mag) 7. 22 Conv kit for the AR
($1000 with quality scope, bipod, ammo) 8. bolt action .308 7.62x51mm

$5,075 and your' good

In that order.

Remington 870. theres lots of them everywhere and hell if you needed to in a pinch parts are plentiful. I have a little 410 so that all I can offer up about shotguns.

im a handgun kinda gal. for your 1st gun you should get a ruger 10/22 they are so freaking practical or go 9mm or 40 cal m&p.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
What are you going to hunt in your area? What is the area like at home you're going to defend? What's your future purchasing power to buy more firearms and spread out your capability like a semi auto rifle with good magazine capacity and some sidearms?

A shotgun is a good first gun for someone, and even more for someone on a budget, but 800 and change is a high budget for a shotgun. A semi auto shotgun can be a finicky gun too that will not be as deverse as you think in shooting particular shells. Most need full power loads or they won't cycle properly. That doesn't really make it a great shtf shotgun. And the o rings around the magazine tube are notorious for going when you least expect them too and the worst possible time. An 870 is a good solid shotgun. I've had a few and just bought a new one myself deciding it was time to get another shotgun and keep that round in my arsenal. The 870 is very versatile with parts and barrels. The most popular pump around really and has been for some time. Certainly nothing wrong with starting with one. It should leave you some money to get one of the most useful rifles around too. A .22lr.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What are you going to hunt in your area? What is the area like at home you're going to defend? What's your future purchasing power to buy more firearms and spread out your capability like a semi auto rifle with good magazine capacity and some sidearms?
Great questions to consider, but Im just focused on getting my first gun purchase out of the way lmao!

Ducks and Dove mostly. Most of the hunting we do is in Louisiana in the marsh and bayou. This is my first gun I'll be purchasing and I'm pretty set on a shotgun. I am however definitely looking for something more for hunting, not particularly home defense. A lot of people are saying go with the 870 or 500, which is about half the price of the Versamax Sportsman which is what I was originally looking at and gets more and more appealing reading through reviews and reading what people are saying about them both.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
A shotgun is arguably the most versatile hunting arm to exist. You can hunt any bird, small game and pests, medium to large game and even dangerous game at appropriate ranges. You may find a weapon that will do a single job better but none will do the diversity of jobs as well.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
If someone had no weapons at all I'd recommend (in this order)

($400 used with accessories and ammo) 1. 10-22
($600 new with accessories and ammo) 2. 870/500/590 (Remington or Mossy) 12 gauge
($750 new with mas, ammo, cleaning) 3. RIA 1911 45 tactical model - about $525 in most free states
($1,000 low end model + mags, ammo parts) 4. AR15 M4
($750 with decent scope, bipod ammo) 5. bolt action 223/5.56mm preferrably that uses AR magazines
($325 with extra mag) 6. 22 Conv kit (Kimber) for the 1911
)$250 with extra mag) 7. 22 Conv kit for the AR
($1000 with quality scope, bipod, ammo) 8. bolt action .308 7.62x51mm

$5,075 and your' good

In that order.
Can't argue with that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts