Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All day today I have been hearing about the North East Blizzard. The media is showing images of barren shelves and predicting dire weather scenarios. Are you folks ready? :shock:

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
The bigger question is are the tax payers ready for what this snowstorm (that happens every year) will cost them. Nothing new here folks it's winter and there is snow, life goes on! I'm sure most won't prepare and then will need help!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I do find it funny in a way. While I wish hard times on no one. What we call winter is the end of the world every time it happens on the east coast.
Just another snow day for us when it happens

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
12 inches of dry, light, fluffy snow so far.
The heavy snow is supposed to start within the next few hours and is s'posed to bring an additional 14-26 inches with some significant winds.

Preparations:
1) Fresh batteries in the flashlights.
2) Plenty of gas for the snowthrower and the generator.
3) Roaring fire in the woodstove and plenty of fuel in da howas.
4) Comfy chairs, HD Projector, THX cert. sound, 8Tbytes of HD video.
5) Fresh half-keg of Trapp Dunkel in the Keg-O-Rator.
6) Chips, Dips, Chains and Whips.

Bring on the snow Nemo !!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
hell we had 5 inches down here a couple years back and there were 25 fatalities overnight. Mainly drivers.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Incidentally, WINDMAPPER.com is my favourite weather map at the moment because it's easier to read than many others and covers the USA/Europe, here's the current wind in the US northeast; blue arrows are a steady wind and red are gusty conditions. the bigger the arrow, the stronger the gusts.
If I read it correctly, the yellow area along the coast means wind speed there is currently averaging 20-25mph

And you can click the 'Temp' button to get a temperature display like this, anything blue is subzero, the deeper the blue, the colder it is-

·
Registered
640 Posts
This situation amazes me as well. A Hurricane hits New Orleans in LA... and everyone there cries for govt help... same Hurricane hits MS and AL and the people there shrug their shoulders and start the cleanup. Blizzard hits the NE and the crying starts there. Blizzard hits Colorado... we grab a beer and wait it out... then start digging out. NO whining for gov't help. I'm sure many of you fine folk have similar tales to tell in your areas. It seems to me that the more Liberal an area is, the more they need help when Mother Nature comes calling. The rest of us.... well... we just get going on the rebuilding. Of course... not everyone in every Liberal area is bad... and not everyone in every Conservative area is good. But the trends still stand out quite clear. Or maybe I'm wrong on this... I don't know... maybe I'm just too darn biased... but that's my view of the US right now.

Reactions: Meangreen and Mr Ed

·
Registered
938 Posts
If people have not prepared for a serious winter storm, which is a blizzard in areas, when they have had all week to get ready, then it is kind of hard to feel sorry for them when it comes in.

The funniest news report I saw said gasoline and booze were selling out fast. Imagine that. Newscaster on CNN said she bought the last apple in the store in New York City - classic.

I also saw where some state police were asking to borrow snowmobiles from citizens. You have got to be kidding me. Umm...buzz off...I only let family ride my toys, sorry, officers!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Definitely a significant storm... snow started falling about 28 hours ago and it looks like we've got close to 30 inches. My nearest neighbor is a couple hundred yards away and it appears that the snow drift against his house is up to the porch light at his back door... so about 7 feet. Wind is pretty constant at between 15 and 25 mph and every now and then it gusts high enough to shake the house.

Quite a contrast from last week when several days in the 50's left us with bare lawns :). It's probably been 30 years since I've seen one like this around here.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Nasty storm, high winds, blizzard in areas, now flooding and high tide combining to flood out coastal homes.

Best of luck to all who are being affected.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
This situation amazes me as well. A Hurricane hits New Orleans... and everyone there cries for govt help...
Yeah, watching Katrina on the TV news, we in Britain wondered what the hell was going on, riots, looting, bodies floating down the streets, 1800 dead...
They'd had plenty of advance warning of the approaching hurricane, and the mayor had even told people to get out of the city.
It seems most people decided to stay put even though much of the city was built on ground below sea level or a few inches above it, so Katrina rolled over the levees and swamped them.
I'm just guessing but maybe they thought they could climb on their roofs as the floods rose but probably died of hypothermia up there, assuming of course the water hadn't already washed away their house with them in it. Some of NO is (gulp) awful low-

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
well the storm has wound down... still some 20-30mph gusts of wind.
Somewhere in the neighorhood of 40 inches at my house... drifts of 6-7 feet.
It took me a couple of hours to shovel a 40 foot walkway through shoulder high snow to my driveway, where I had the snow thrower all gassed up and ready to go... and go it did, away with whoever stole it last night!

Whoppo is an angry old man today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts