Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
At work a few years back, they bought some industrial tricycles, heavy duty something like 550lbs carrying cap. Ok, a tricycle as opposed to a bike, would have the disadvantage of not being able to squeeze through some tight spots a bike would. but the sheer weight carrying ability and the stability of three wheels over two. I don't know, what do ya think?
View attachment 4779

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
At work a few years back, they bought some industrial tricycles, heavy duty something like 550lbs carrying cap. Ok, a tricycle as opposed to a bike, would have the disadvantage of not being able to squeeze through some tight spots a bike would. but the sheer weight carrying ability and the stability of three wheels over two. I don't know, what do ya think?
View attachment 4779
I like it Murph. The only drawback I see is the one you've already mentioned. And cornering. Wouldn't be able to take corners as fast I don't think. But the stability and load capacity are definite winners!

Reactions: Moonshinedave

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
View attachment 4779
The one I have very similar to this is made by Miami Sun. It has a metal bar welded onto the rear axle that you can use to attach a wagon using ubolts. Right now I use it to go to the grocery store and bring my groceries home (about 2 miles each way). My plan is to use it either to get water from the natural springs that are about 3/4 mile from me or if we have to move to another location, have my wife sit on it, and I will attach a rod to the handle bars so that it extends about 2 to 3 feet off to the side and I will push the bike. My wife came down rheumatoid arthritis when she was 25 and has artificial knees and hips so she wouldn't be able to walk long distances.

I am not concerned with speed nearly as much as being able to haul allot of food, water, equipment, firearms, and ammunition, so whether or not it can corner as well as a regular bicycle is not a problem IMO. It will enable me to take my AR, scoped 30-06, a .22, and my 870 shotgun with me in addition to a small tent and sleeping bags. I think that it is a very good "just in case" system.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I believe there is no "one size fits all" and everything has it's advantages and disadvantages. For example if you lived in a congested area, where you believe you may have to squeeze between stalled cars the the width of trike could be a problem, or even perhaps getting through trees? The advantages of course is stability and it's hauling ability. I guess it's like everything else, you gotta weight the goods vs bads, then give it your best shot.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I explored the same concept on another forum some time ago. We came up with a position that they are great when you are operating in areas that are under your domain or you feel relatively safe. If you disagree, go take a bike and ride through the shittiest part of your town at about 11:00 with a hula skirt made out of $20 bills - every night for a week. You might not get jumped the first night, but you will by Night #3.

If you were to do something like a tactical bike for areas you have domain over i.e. sniper coverage, radio coverage, traveling in groups, back up near by, I think you would want something like this.

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset

Tire Wheel Bicycle hub Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

Benefit to the two man rig is low profile and you have extra power and speed when you need it or you could have the guy up front as the gunner.

I do believe there is a need for a two man powered bike with mountain bike like low gear ratios up to high speed ratios for the road. Something with meaty run flat tires and a cargo basket and shocks to absorb some trail use. Can be three or four wheeled.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I am not sure about whether of not you have control over the area you are in is the primary concern. I think what is more important is simply if you are more concerned with speed or carrying capacity. The analogy of riding a bike through a very bad part of town with $20 bills hanging off the side would be the same if you were driving a car. It's a bad idea no matter what you are driving unless it's a tank. It would be a much better idea NOT TO GO THERE. Let's not forget though, especially at night, a car can easily be heard a mile away before it arrives, while on the other hand it would be much easier to sneak through an area pushing or riding a bicycle. Also it is much easier to see some people setting up an ambush ahead of you if you are on foot or traveling slowly then from a car. It might also take them longer to notice your presence, which gives you more time to react. The only advantage that I can see that a car gives you tactically is speed. Once your vehicle is stopped, you are at a disadvantage. It is hard to fight from, gives you very little protection from any other direction besides the front (engine block), is very noticeable, and you are sitting on a tank of an explosive liquid. Don't get me wrong, I am not a Luddite and would in most cases take a 4 wheel drive over a bicycle, but there are serious disadvantages to it that you should be aware of. Simply put, you are a bigger target in a car, and more people will be aware of you and want what you have.

If vehicles are operating and gas is available, I will take my 4 wheel drive with a trike strapped down on top of it if I have to travel very far. But in the event that it is not possible to use a gas combustion engine, or gas becomes very scarce, I will use a the system I have devised for either hauling water/supplies for relatively short distances or if my family and I have to relocate. We will primarily be walking and using the trike and wagon combination for freight transportation. If we hit an area where for example the cars are packed too tightly together to get the trike/wagon through, we will simply unload it, carry the items through the obstruction, come back for the vehicles, and carry them past. If that doesn't work, we will find another road around, or walk parallel to the road in open fields. It beats carrying a heavy load on your back although that too is always an option. It did it more then a few times in the Infantry so I wouldn't be unfamiliar with the concept, I just realize that it would be allot easier on my back and feet if I didn't have to carry allot of weight and it solves the problem of my wife who has arthritis.

One last point, I noticed that when mentioning nations whose Army has depended on the use of a bicycle in the past the nation of Switzerland wasn't mentioned in many posts. The Swiss Army STILL issues a bicycle to many of it's troops. One that was specifically manufactured for that purpose. Their doctrine calls for them to push the loaded bicycle when going up an incline and when on an even plane, but to ride it when coasting downhill. They can cover an amazing distance for non-motorized troops while hauling allot of weight.

G

·

·
Registered
3 Posts
BOB Mine

Its Call Bug out bicycle I had mine for about 8 years Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel
this is the one I have and I build with 3/4 inch EMT pipe and it will hold 250+lbs I know I have set in it
But here a real camper bicycle Wheel Tire Plant Sky Vehicle
fun make very good BOB...As for gas motor for BOB go with 4 cycle as you can also run a 4 cycle motor on wood gas... I have 3 booklet in PDF file
on bicycle trailer if anyone wood like a copy pm me and can sent to you i try to upload one here to big of a file

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Its Call Bug out bicycle I had mine for about 8 years View attachment 102283 this is the one I have and I build with 3/4 inch EMT pipe and it will hold 250+lbs I know I have set in it
But here a real camper bicycle View attachment 102285 fun make very good BOB...As for gas motor for BOB go with 4 cycle as you can also run a 4 cycle motor on wood gas... I have 3 booklet in PDF file
on bicycle trailer if anyone wood like a copy pm me and can sent to you i try to upload one here to big of a file
Step out in one of these pulling your supplies, and you will become fodder for target pratice.

·
Registered
701 Posts
We have 7 bikes among the 2 of us. We did a 117 mile ride carrying all our gear and water. The bikes weighed a ton but it was great exercise. I like the bike idea because I know every bike path within a 100 miles from here and I think it will be great for getting around. I also have a fold up giant I keep in the truck of my car for emergencies, that is one peppy little bike. One thing to think about. Ride off trail and through country. Get used to it because it used completely different muscles then on trails. It doesn't take long to build up bike muscles but you lose them fast so ride a lot and keep those muscles active. I love the bikes posted. I want to use my 2 wheel because if I go off trail and lifting it over a tree the weight would be a problem, We had to do that with both our bikes and it took both of us to lift each bike. But we have everything packed on them and not in a trailer.

·
Administrator
15,594 Posts
Wow!
The vast majority of posters on this thread have not been active in years.
Some of them I remember well, some not so well.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Ah, yes! The thread about buggin' out with a bicycle! The thread Lonnie banned me for 3 days just because I merely stated bicycles are man-made / mechanical devices and subject to breaking down.

Oh, how I pine for the good ol' days when speaking the truth got you banned here....:armata_PDT_29:

·
Registered
340 Posts
On bicycles... I know a little bit.

I have 12 (or maybe now 13) bikes in my garage right now... From cheap $500 bikes to a few that are well over 10x that cost. Not only have I raced just about every scenario (from triathlons to adventure races like the eco-challenge), for the past 10 years I've taught several week-long mountain biking courses each year, that span every topic from maintenance, equipment, to urban obstacle riding. With the industry switching to 90% electric bike focus, I've even worked with a major industry bike manufacturer (Trek) to help design a specific electric mountain bike, and as such have traveled around the country to host several e-bike specific training workshops (at various bike industry conferences). In the past, I've even taught workshops on self defense on bicycles (weird, I know).. Oddly enough, I don't work in the bike industry, ha!

As to bikes for bug-out... I don't like it, unless it fits into your very narrow and specific plan. In general, bugging out isn't ideal, and the thought of riding off into the sunset or the wilderness (to some unknown location) is a short path to a sad end... If you lived in a suburban area, and had a stocked BOL cabin 30-50 miles away and you used a bike to BO (and had planed for this), then cool... It might make sense? Again, you can't carry a lot on a bike, and it is just one level up from bugging out on foot, and only designed to get you to a very nearby BOL. Me personally, my prep plan involves bugging in, as I think it's the most solid plan of action. I do have a BOL but it's hours away by car, and not biking distances (even for me). Ideally I want to bug out well before it gets to the point of my bugging in location being overrun. I also have family, and a network of neighborhood preppers in my group that all can't ride away on bikes...

Now, bikes for SHTF in general? I do like it. Whether it's using bikes for neighborhood transportation or making runs for supplies (when gas runs out), I think bikes make a ton of sense (for a whole bunch of reasons). Bikes are also great for reconnaissance.

Bikes can be tactical at night, they're relatively silent, and you can get to places cars cant. But bikes in tactical situations have disadvantages. For instance, never engage in a gunfight on a bike. If you're attacked, GTFO (your bike)! Bikes want to travel in straight lines, which makes it easier for someone to get a bead on you. And you're higher up (easier target). Dismount ASAP and evade or engage on foot.

Another consideration is the aforementioned ebikes.. These offer relative silence compared to combustion motor bikes, and allow you to maintain good speed (even while carrying a lot of gear). Good ebikes can go as far as 50+ miles on a single charge, and if you have solar generators, this provides endless powered riding. Again, these are a fantastic tool for recon, as they're fast and mobile, and can often go off road and outrun anyone on foot. The ebike I own goes nearly 30mph, and is off road capable.

Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
I keep a folded mountain bike, CERT backpack (filled) & helmet, a life vest, and a container with a change of clothes and extra ammo in the roof top carrier on my car ;)

You can't go anywhere in the PNW without crossing water...

Peace,
Michael J.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,613 Posts
Lonewolf147,
Three posts in 2 years? Come on man, did you fall into a hole or something? You could have done better than that.

Reactions: Michael_Js
41 - 60 of 67 Posts