Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that I will see some creative (i.e. beyond pungee sticks) perimeter defense. And I want to hear about how someone plans to defend a farm-size area. Yes, that may mean no close neighbors. There's your scenario: not more than 3 people with guns, farm acres, defend the perimeter. If we are all lucky, we may need to cover this as we try to keep the food production secure.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Provide me with adequate pictures of said farm, and I will tell you what plans I've devised. This may be why a lot of these conversations, much to your chagrin, rotate back around to the tools employed to defend a position rather than the tactical plan itself; because depending on your environment that plan could dramatically change. If I have a reason to defend an area, I'll walk around it until I know it extremely well before I even start thinking of things like defensive positions or tactics. Perhaps I don't have enough imagination to just create an area in my head and tell you how I would defend it, I apologize if that's the case; perhaps you could start us off with some example of the ideas you're looking for?

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
An idea just came to me. If its fenced in you could put a thin low voltage wire on with the fence. Run electricity through it and then to a lightbulb wherever you are. The wire gets cut or breaks. The bulb goes out. Use multiple bulbs for different areas of fence so you know the general direction.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Like I already said elsewhere -- with that big a place and that few people - the very FIRST things you need to invest in are several fast and rugged ATVs and some damn good walkie-talkies. Buy the ones with the maximum range you can get, because you'll only realize about 1/10 of what they claim on the box (which is good for mountain top to mountain top).

Hmm -- some real good guard dogs would also be useful. And I would invest in some good perimeter early warning alarm systems. You don't need a lot, just have a few that are strategically positioned.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is partially theoretical, so let's say that the farm is small (10-15 acres) and rolling hills. Fencing may work, but may be too expensive. I think tinkerhell and I have the perimeter alarm system worked out in theory. I'm wondering if a high voltage fence might work. Of course that would kinda keep any local game out. That might be even better. Vegetarians would celebrate.

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Its easy and cheap to buy triggers to detonate 12 gauge shells with a trip wire. If your certain live stock will not go into an area that is. Punji sticks work well with the same limitations.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Claymores will act as a good alarm. Unless you're a sound sleeper.
Just for the record, if this was my place we were discussing, that might happen. This house has thick double-pane windows and 2 x 6 studded walls. Very little noise gets through loud enough towake anyone.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
To begin with, depending on how much area you are talking about and the terrain, your parameter may be too much for the small number of people that you have. You might have to tighten it up. What are you guarding? If it is livestock, you might have to move them closer to the house at night. You may have to designate someone to pull night guard duty who can wake everyone else up if things go wrong. Buy some dogs. Don't be too quick to disregard traps. Depending on the size of your operation you might want to consider acquiring more manpower.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I am hoping that I will see some creative (i.e. beyond pungee sticks) perimeter defense. And I want to hear about how someone plans to defend a farm-size area. Yes, that may mean no close neighbors. There's your scenario: not more than 3 people with guns, farm acres, defend the perimeter. If we are all lucky, we may need to cover this as we try to keep the food production secure.
Sorry, peartree, . . . two words come to mind on how you would accomplish your goal: you won't.

Only 3 people means that in order to have 24/7 capability, . . . two are up while one is asleep, . . . that means 16 hours on and 8 off, . . . and gets really old, . . . really quick.

Any other option makes you late to the party.

The best you could hope for is to defend the "important" part of said perimeter, . . . or draw the new perimeter in close enough that you can have a better chance of quickly reacting to incursions.

4 wheelers are a waste of time and energy IMHO, . . . because if I'm the crook, . . . I'll hear you coming, . . . lay low till you pass, . . . then go about my nefarious business. The ********* have been doing this for centuries in the sand box, . . . and the Vietcong did it both before and after our stay in Vietnam.

Defence is a squirrely game, . . . fraught with pitfalls, unexpected consequences, . . . witness the German defenses against the West in WW2. The best you can really hope for is to be alive each morning you wake up (waking up dead can ruin your whole day), . . . and maintain a small area of operation that you CAN control with your few troops. A farm with 3 is beyond the reach.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
570 Posts
Depending on the terrain, a deep ditch with a sharp incline out can do a lot of good. Basically, you'd need to make a poor man's tank ditch. At the very least, it could keep out most wheeled vehicles, and that's mostly what you'd have to worry about. You could also reenforce this with any extra fence/barb wire you have around the farm. It would be a very, very labor intensive job, especially with three people, but the benefits of restricting movement into your farm could be huge. If the terrain isn't conducive to doing this around the entire perimeter, you could always dig the ditches around any roads/trails leading in, and use them to deny access through these roads.

Also, is there anywhere on the property that allows line of sight across the rest of the property? If not, a simple watchtower/observation post would be a good step. Could be as simple as a tree stand for hunting on a pole coming off the roof of the house/barn, or more complicated, with sandbags filling the "tower", and offering the people inside some protection.

You wanted creative, hope this helps.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Depending on the outer terrain (beyond the farm), maybe you can funnel all traffic into a preferred direction (knock out a couple bridges to force vehicles to approach only one direction?)

I agree that you need more folks to defend a perimeter (of any size) for more than a few days.

What about animals that might help give you warning? Dogs, geese, peacocks ... depending on local circumstances?

AJ

·
Registered
513 Posts
One additional thought. Do you have any irrigation on the farm? if you can keep one side of the perimeter wet enough to discourage that direction of ingress, it might simplify your problem.

AJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Love the thread topic, so I don't mind attempting a resurrection here.
As an aspiring homesteader, I consider security to be crucial to the whole purpose. I agree that:
-one must know one's surroundings; and keep the high ground, whenever possible
-control of foot & vehicular traffic is vital
-one's abilities to effect any security measures depends on manpower
I think with such a small number of people, you'd be limited to defending your shelter and the line of sight surrounding it. I suggest directing traffic about the property with natural barriers and maintained trails. Keep a "dead zone" around your shelter so there is no source of cover for an intruder. Keep the landscaping around the house short, disallowing intruders from hiding in your bushes.
As for me, I plan on investing in an observation tower (this will likely double as a communications mast) and plenty of sandbags to shore up residential windows.
Related thought: a civilian pickup truck with a sandbag-lined bed (and cab?) and some shade would make a decent slightly elevated position for a perimeter defense.

·
Registered
31 Posts
10-15 acres with 3 people is very challenging, I would recommend shrinking your perimeter to a manageable size. If that is not feasible for whatever reason I would look into some motion sensor...not premade over priced ones buy your own and make your own that fit your needs. There are lethality ways with previously spoken like a mousetrap and a shotgun round. Great topic though got me thinking about my own security thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
this is my exact scenario.. no neighbors for 3 miles in any direction.... but 3 people?? I would consider it impossible, true defense would require 24-7-365 overwatch.. and sleep deprivation alone will do you in! I would recruit my neighbors, arm them. and various trip wire/solar lights and even thermals.. key is to see anyone coming from all directions.. is possible here, just not with 3 people..

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have 30 acres that slopes so a lot of it is visible from the house. But not all so I do have to take a short walk to be able to view the portion I cannot see from a porch . One of the things I am thinking about getting is a drone with camera so I can monitor all fo it or fly out over to neighbors farms to monitor what was going on.

I have barbed wire fences with a hot wire and Dogs that let me know when something is up . Most of my neighbors have livestock guard dogs .

I have a road that runs east west that is very easy to monitor as it is down hill in both directions. Road is very narrow with a creek at the bottom of the hill so from the top you can see well and only have to cover the road itself . Crossing the creek, climbing the steep banks and crossing several fences is going to slow folks down. To approach other wise would be to do so on foot or four wheel vehicle moving a mile or more across open pasture that has several fences to go thru or climb.

If a large group attacked to try and steal cattle or produce from the garden/orchard I think three or four could have a chance to disrupt and drive them off at least once after that I would think they would be back with the intent to kill us so they could take over the place , livestock, supplies and crops.

Booby traps are not practical with live stock and guard dogs in my opinion .

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
Command detonated weapons make lousy alarms.
You can set up a detonator, either trip wire or pressure to set off a Claymore.

All depends on what you put in one of the fuse wells, put the clacker initiated in the second.

You can stuff a M215 fuse in it and set a trip wire on the safety pin which is partially withdrawn.

Most intruders will not be expecting such, even an impro bursting charge, or trained to be aware.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts