Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a solar panel to have in my BOB, and see a lot of choices. GoalZero looks good, but expensive.
I am very new to prepping so I thought it best to listen to the advice of you more experienced preppers.

Thank you,
Pete

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
For light weight power and portability I chose a Burton Solaris 52 (52 watt solar panel that fold up), A Burton Impel (145 wh rechargeable Lithium Battery only weighs 2 lbs) and a battery charger for AA and AAA batteries.
I did some research and this is the closest setup that I could find that is like the system the army uses.
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc429/Rickinky/portablecharging.jpg

The roll up solar panel and the upper solo-15 lithium battery was updated with the panel and battery in the bottom of the picture.

·
Registered
693 Posts
For light weight power and portability I chose a Burton Solaris 52 (52 watt solar panel that fold up), A Burton Impel (145 wh rechargeable Lithium Battery only weighs 2 lbs) and a battery charger for AA and AAA batteries.
I did some research and this is the closest setup that I could find that is like the system the army uses.
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc429/Rickinky/portablecharging.jpg

The roll up solar panel and the upper solo-15 lithium battery was updated with the panel and battery in the bottom of the picture.
How much did that one cost ya??

·
Registered
693 Posts

A little looksie at the Goal Zero Nomad 7

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
How much did that one cost ya??
The Solaris CIGS 62 (62-Watt 3.4LB ) folding panel sells around $1200.
The Impel2 is a 145 watt hour 2LBs Lithium Ion storage battery and sells for around $300

The Solaris ( Copper indium gallium selenide) is the most efficient solar panel
The Impel may seem expensive but look at it this way, to equal the output you would need 12 6v Alkaline lantern batteries (528's) batteries weighing 23LBs vs The Impels 2LBs, Plus the Impel will work in much colder temperatures and can be recharged 500-1000 times.

So for a weight of 5.5LBs you have a total 145w portable power station that can be carried anywhere.
If anyone knows of a more efficient power/weight system I would like to know about it as things are always being up dated.
There are smaller models of both panels and battery that would cost as much and could meet your needs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ricky, thanks for the tip on the Burton. Have you ever run a test under full sunlight to see how many watts that thing is actually throwing by chance? Just wondering because if it is throwing anywhere near what it is rated for then I may have to look more closely at that option.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Ricky, thanks for the tip on the Burton. Have you ever run a test under full sunlight to see how many watts that thing is actually throwing by chance? Just wondering because if it is throwing anywhere near what it is rated for then I may have to look more closely at that option.
No I never did and actual watt test, I may do that in the future but I did make sure it would charge my impel or solo 15 storage device in half a day or so. When talking about solar panel I always think of the rating as a max figure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
depending on the size of your BOB, can you roof mount it or are looking for more portability? Roof mounting is easy, panels can be larger, and they are cheaper.....130W panel can be had for $500+/-. I had four on my sailboat. They could make 30+ amps.

·
Registered
280 Posts
What you will use it for will determine what you need.

If you have a car, and gasoline, and cell phone towers,
and running water,......

If the grid is gone......
If you will use it for lighting, battery paks,....
Charging two-way radios....

You may not want lights and draw attention
to your location.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts