Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
It's a great rifle. I almost bought one in 45-70 since I am a habitual re-loader. Heck, I just like to cast the bullets...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I must say that I do want one and have considered purchasing one in the not so distant past. It would certainly be in 45/70. I would probably put a small red dot optic on it.

·
Administrator
15,414 Posts
My 45-70 is a single shot.
The best rifle ever?
US Rifle Caliber 30 M1.
Commonly called the Garand.

Reactions: Box of frogs

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
45/70 vs 12ga with a sabot slug, check the ballistics. To save you some time they are about the same. I suppose you could use the 45/70 duck hunting.

2nd for the Garand.

·
Super Moderator
9,182 Posts
Every job as a right tool, and every tool has right job.

·
Registered
944 Posts
A friend who is a former SEAL said his SHFT rifle would be a Ruger 10/22 with a bull barrel. That's good enough for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Then you realize Marlin had continuous issues with production, and the 45-70 is pretty anemic for what it could be if rifles were built to handle what it could be. It's a nice looking rifle but that's about all I'll give it. I'll take my 444 over it in any situation presented to me on this Earth, or even my 450 which is basically what the 45-70 could have been.

End all be all rifle can't beat a Scar 17 for shtf.

·
Registered
701 Posts
What are you opinions on Henry rifles? Or shotguns?

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
As a reloader I tend to give the 45-70 a real break. Most of the rounds sold at the sporting goods store are probably not fully loaded. Their reasoning is simple. There are lots of 45-70 rifles still loose in the world that do not have receivers that us "modern boys" have.

Heck, I've seen barrels that were made by wrapping the steel around a big, solid bolt.

Then again, shooting is fun. And if I have to put fewer grains into the brass it's still a nice day out in the sun with a buddy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts