Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older PUR hiker with an extra cartridge...I've had it for a while now and really like it. It's compact and fits into a bag nicely. I've been thinking about getting another one and see that Pur has been bought out...any suggestions...Is there something newer, better etc. that is still compack and durable?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I like the Steripen it is the quickest, lightest, and kills the most, bacteria, virus and protozoa.

I have had more problems with seals and clogged filters then I had electrical problems with this UV device.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much Thanks!
Appreciate the videos...
I'm setting up another BOB and want to use a system where a mylar bladder/filter/nylon bag stuff sack stows compactly until needed. The stuff sack will serve to keep the kit together and as the outside skin for the mylar bladder when in use....

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bought a Katadyn water filter from Bass Pro a couple weeks ago, so far I'm impressed. Not too expensive (I paid $75), pretty small and compact, and it's easy to use. Has a high enough output for me, if you pump fairly quickly, you'll get a steady stream coming out of it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I love my msr filter but found out that ceramic filters arent the best in the field...though easily serviced,they break easy and are $$ to replace

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cartridge in the Pur hiker that I currently have has a an iodine element in the filter and a charcoal after filter in the outflow cap. Works good. Haven't been able to find a replacement for it...The spare I do have for it does not have the iodine element nor is there a packet of replacement charcoal.

I have straight iodine in my small last ditch bad (ten essential+) but thats pretty hardcore...it's for when or if I get seperated from my main bag. Anyway thats another topic...thanks for the replies and stay safe!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was given the Katadyn pocket model as a xmas present but have not yet had the chance/need to test it out yet, I bought the steripen UV last year. I like it and have had no problems with it thus far through 3 multi-day camping trips (test runs on equipment)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I asked for, and received a Katadyn Hiker Pro for Christmas. I did quite a bit of research and decided that it was the one I wanted for carrying. Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but will check it out later in the spring when the weather gets a bit better out. I have a 2 1/2 gallon Big Berkey type water filter system in the kitchen at home that I use for all my drinking water. I do want to get a couple of storage barrels to keep some water stored, as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts