Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on the best places to survival and live in America?

Mine are away from nuclear reactors, earthquake zones, hurricaine zones and large cities.

I'm thinking Iowa! Hey acidlittle, can I come and stay with ya?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Absolutely, I'll check with my roommates (parents), I think Iowa is great for that because it is away from everywhere and is fairly secluded, winters can suck and summers be hot, but it's manageable! Plus LOTS of farmland!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Iowa has its share of tornadoes and floods. No place is perfect. Locations with available water and fuel should be fairly common. Good choice.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Put a shipping container in the ground and no more worries about tornado :) Flooding is easy too, just stay away from the major rivers.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also live in Iowa on the eastern side of the state. There is a nuclear plant right outside the town I live in so dont come here. Plus we got major flooding in '08. I'm screwed!!! Trying to buy land to the south and west of current location.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Alaska, and if the cold bothers ya then Southeast Alaska. We are headed to Alaska once the wife retires in 2 more years. Already looking to buy up there.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Middle and south Georgia are full of hogs, wild edibles of all kinds, mild winters, small and large game, the forests are thick and the people are actually fairly nice when you get outside Atlanta.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think Eastern Ky is 2 doors down from heaven. Survival, if your going to acid little's, let me know if you need some one to keep an eye on your place.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well there are many differing opinions on "survival".
First of all we need a job. So a good economic plan would be my first on the list.
Next would be the local folks and their ethics and their values. Christain and family values prefered.
Then would be distance from cities. I am no city person.
Mid size town are just dandy for me.
Nuke poser houses. i love them. cheap power and plenty of local work. Plus low property tax. We are in no danger of a USSR attack anymore. China is attacking daily through Walmart end we are on the economic front.
The weather and roads are a concern for me being in the north. So I stay away from Lake Michigan. Too much snow there for me.
I ended up in mid Wisconsin in 1976 while traveling from VA to CA I never got there since I fell in love with the Cheese Heads, deer hunting and being able to shoot a 300 mag. in my back yard.
All my other wish list have been granted also.
I may have travel six hours for work but not often.
Then there is the real local bait, POINT SPECIAL BEER , Cheese and Brautworst with Kraut.
I need no more.
Now if we can oust our present govenor Scott Walker I will be happier.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Colorado Rockies!! High Elevation, super clean air, no Nuc plants lots of deer, elk, rams, moose, mountain goats, fish, bears etc. etc. Not to many Natural Disasters up there the occasional land slide but all scouted locations are in more rocky areas. Winters suck but I go camping at above 8000 feet at least 4 times every winter (GI sleeping bag rated -30 to -60 F)

I also feel most people wont mess with me up there due to the cold winters and my locations are not easily reached easiest way without a highly modified rig would be horseback or walk. plus lots of elevated sniper locations if you will and easily enough lumber/natural fun stuff to booby trap routes I.E. Deadfalls and other fun stuff. I also would add that I have different locations and plan to move during spring/summer to Higher elevations and go lower for winter (Mainly following the elk and deer)

Here is a pic of one of my lower elevation locations view. . . 8300 feet above sea level

This is one of my Higher Elevations destinations Holy Cross City Ghost Mining town still has standing cabins with dishes and small wood burning stoves Plus all sorts of equipment/supplies form the abandoned mines.

Why its called Holy Cross City

Unfortunately The notches that made the cross dont quite make the cross anymore because of avalanches
This is a taste of the terrain to get to the City.

its 9.85 Miles of terrain mostly like this to get to the city and the start of the trail is at least 20 miles from the closest real town
There is a sign at the entrance of trail compliments of the state ;) I love seeing this sign gets me excited lol
But it sates "Lifted,Modified 4x4 vehicles only. KNOW YOUR LIMITS!! Expect body damage and Expect mechanical damage

·
Registered
481 Posts
Northern Maine. There are still large sections of the state where you can walk for a hundred miles and not bump into anyone.

The winters can be quite harsh, but if you're well prepared it's no big deal. Anything from mid-Maine up is out of reach from the nearest nuclear reactors. It's a great place to live if you like quiet solitude. It definitely not the best place to live if you need to find a job and earn a living.

allagash_river_web-2.jpg

·
Registered
264 Posts
I quite like Michigan myself. We are the only house in our mile on our side of the road and only 3- on the other side. We have 40 acres open that attaches up to 320 acres of woods. We have a creek within 1/2 mile, lots of wildlife.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've got to agree with Irish... Its the Rockies for me. Although we have a shorter growing season, the land is very lush and more importantly, I live here and have the option to prepare a place within a couple of hours of home... so it makes sense for me. It's true that most wannabe's will run for the mountains... thinking the same thing... but even in the summer, the mountains can easily nip down near freezing temps... so I expect most of them to freeze to death within the first few weeks. Moderate temperatures tend to do more harm to people because they don't really think it's that cold and don't adequately prepare themselves and die of exposure. Of course, very few are prepared for an extended stay here during the winter as well. The rest will probably run out of supplies rather quickly and will hopefully shoot each other trying to get more. I just plan on hunkering down and staying quiet until the shots quit ringing through the mountains and then go scavenge the left-overs. :)

Reactions: Irish
1 - 13 of 13 Posts