Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been going with the 20 and 30 round P-Mags. I like the 20 rounders for shooting off a bench because they don't interfere. They are getting reasonable in cost now. I've seen the plain 30 round models without the window for $12.00 on sale.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I would think Mags are like beer... no matter what your preference is... never turn down a free one.

Actually... i think it all depends on priority... i.e., where you put your money first. If you have plenty of money... buy the best of everything. Otherwise... figure out what you think is the most important item for you to survive and put your money there first. Over time, you'll get everything you need, but just in case time runs out... I'd hate to see someone die of exposure with a tricked out 15 in their hands.

Reactions: Irish

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I would think Mags are like beer... no matter what your preference is... never turn down a free one.

Actually... i think it all depends on priority... i.e., where you put your money first. If you have plenty of money... buy the best of everything. Otherwise... figure out what you think is the most important item for you to survive and put your money there first. Over time, you'll get everything you need, but just in case time runs out... I'd hate to see someone die of exposure with a tricked out 15 in their hands.
If your mag won't run in ya gun, your tricked out AR will be in your hands

There's a reason the US Military guys buy their own P-Mags instead of going with GI Issue.YMMV

·
Registered
640 Posts
AquaHull... I apologize if my post suggested "take any old garbage mag someone offers you." That was never my intent. I wholly agree that your mag has to work in your gun. What I was suggesting was that spending all of your money on the best mags money can buy, based on someone else's advice, isn't always the best solution for someone right off the bat. There are plenty of good mags that are less expensive and serve just as well... especially when your friends upgrade to P-Mags and are willing to sell you their older mags that are still in good condition. I also agree with you on the govt purchased mags. I've got a bucket of them that had continually jammed up in an M4... but i was firing blanks... and kept them thinking I would clean them up and try them with real rounds... hoping it was just a gas-related feed issue from using blanks.

Bottom line: Although everyone wants the best and most reliable weapon possible... most people on this forum will never use their weapons in a sustained fire-fight or are likely to run full-auto. And yes... I say most... not all. :)

Reactions: Irish

·
Registered
139 Posts
I like the Pmags. They aren't susceptible to damage from being dropped, won't rust and come with anti-tilt folowers! This makes it a no brainer for me!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I prefer PMAGs now, I just about popped wood the first time I used one a few months ago, lol, very much an improvement over the GI mags I've used for the past 10 years, lol. Some people complain about long term reliability, but last I checked, $10 isn't much to spend on something that'll likely last a few years.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have well over 300 GI grade 30rd mags if anyone in intrested in any. I'm selling them for 15 USD a piece plus shipping.

·
Registered
60 Posts
PMags!!!

Once you tried them you will never want anything else. Most places are selling for 10 bucks or less right now as Magpul came out with gen3 mags so gen1 and gen2 are cheap cheap. They are basically the same with slight mods to make it more military friendly.

Here is a places I have order mine it cheap and the service is fabulous.

MAGPUL : Lanbo's Armory, Firearm Accessories and Tactical Gear

·
Registered
23 Posts
another big supporter of Pmags here. I have stocked up with them ... usually in the $9 - $11 range. Very happy with them and no failures of any sort with them.

I hear that the Tango-down mags are decent as well, but some people don't like some of the features of the TD design that makes it fit strange in their mag pouches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought the majority of my mags during the Ban...USGI mags could go for a pretty penny back then. I bought all I could in the $9-13 range, replaced followers in the 30. washed them to get the sand out and they have all been good to go.....Not pretty by any means and some have zero finish left.

Recently I ordered 20 C-Products 20 round mags from R Guns for $7.00 each that run fine in my and a friends AR's. Ordered another 20 and they have been (or were Sold out)

RGUNS - Gun Parts - Magazines & Feeding Devices - Rifle Magazines & Feeding Devices.

I thinks I have around 30 USGI 20's, 30 or so USGI 30's and 20 additions C Product mags and they are all loaded.

Karsten

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Being in the people's republic of NY we cannot have post ban mags that hold more than 10 rounds because they might possess us like demons and cause us to want to have sodas larger than 16 ounces and eat large fries.

Reactions: JAGER

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm a huge fan of PMags (even if they aren't very SCAR-friendly), but I'll really use anything that works. I also have a great deal of USGI mags, most with either the new tan follower, or the after market MagPul version.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Another vote for P-MAGs. They're inexpensive, sturdy, reliable and (for now) readily available. I prefer the "windowed" version and don't mind spending a few extra bucks for 'em.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pmags work well until you get into a high round count with them then the start to go south as do many brands. Many people forget that magazine are perishable. They don't last forever but there are some that last longer than other.

I have a bunch of mags now and I usually order extras when I'm trying to get my internet orders up to a certain dollar amount for FREE shipping or other deal at the time.

Gen 3 magpuls work in my Hk as well as my Tango Down magazines work very well. The TD mags are quickly becoming my favorites.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts