Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A video of what I believe is the best option for a SHTF, the reason I choose this particular handgun go way beyond the some old 3 every reasons you see single forum out there light, reliable and round count. These are also valid reasons which I do agree with and were a factor which I made my pick but not the only ones, there is much more to think about then there are no gun shops, gunshows, online ammo dealers or even law enforcement. "Intelligence: the ability to use existing knowledge solve new problems"-Daniel Webster

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
In our nation of 300 million guns do you really think finding one post "SHTF" is going to be that hard?
Ammo maybe, but guns?

I've never owned a glock, I prefer the $350 Ruger P series 9mm. Big, bulky, ugly, a real tank and
always works.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well depending on the situation, there are many possiblities for a SHTF senario besides that out of the 300 million guns how many are bolt actions and single action or just 6 shot wheel guns that would not be ideal for WROL. another thing is how many people own those 300 million guns? most gun onwers I know own 10 or more. I wish it was 300 million guns in 300 million homes but thats not the case. its millions of guys like us and collectors yes guns and ammo maybe hard to find. I would rather not find out the hard way. BTW I love the Ruger P series as well as the SR series both are dam good guns i recommended them in a few other vids I did. I don't think there is a perfect gun for SHTF but in the vid I talked about several things I never see on forums or other youtube videos. there may be a some out there talking about the same reasons but not many

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will stay with old faithful my 1911-A 45.
man i'll tell you .45 is may favorite caliber by far. I just wish it was as stockpiled in homes like 9mm. later we may only be able to find what was hoarded by the majority. and they don't love the bad ass, power in your hand, what dreans are made of .45 as much as the 2 of us :(

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
My understanding is there are 80 million gun owners in 55 million homes across America. Those stats are estimates no doubt but I doubt they are off a big bunch. Yes I'm sure many are bolts, 10/22s, (sold 30 million of those) and such. However in just California in the last 5 years 3 million AR's have been sold - in a state of 38 million people - I would venture to guess that doubled the number of "AR's" as the media projects them. My thinking is once SHTF having one will be incredibly important, but a short time later getting one will be all too easy.

I am also a fan of 1911's. I'm not much of a fan of the 45 any more due to age and such but I've got a nice couple of them in 9mm so I feel good.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Yep, best pistol is a rifle or shotgun. If I was going to carry a pistol I would pick something I could get ammo for from the local military/constabulary, so something in 9mm or 40 S&W. I have Glocks in both calibers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The best pistol is the one you use to get to your shotgun, it is a the gun of last resource nothing more.
I agree thats why I called this the "best handgun" for a SHFT senario and not "best primary", you will need a secondary weapon and that is what this is about. there is much more about long guns as primary firearms than handguns as a backup

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A good pistol can be a great tool. But rifles and shotguns rule.
I agree thats why I called this the "best handgun" for a SHFT senario and not "best primary", you will need a secondary weapon and that is what this is about. there is much more about long guns as primary firearms than handguns as a backup

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, best pistol is a rifle or shotgun. If I was going to carry a pistol I would pick something I could get ammo for from the local military/constabulary, so something in 9mm or 40 S&W. I have Glocks in both calibers.
I agree thats why I called this the "best handgun" for a SHFT senario and not "best primary", you will need a secondary weapon and that is what this is about. there is much more about long guns as primary firearms than handguns as a backup. not having a backup is failing to plan of planning to fail depends on how you look at it, thats what this was about

·
Administrator
14,911 Posts
Do you really think they would share their ammo with you?

Reactions: Nathan Jefferson

·
Registered
966 Posts
No. And I hadn't planned on askin'. If I had to pick a pistol/revolver not planning on resupplying from the locals it would probably be the FN FiveSeven.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
No doubt the long guns rule, but lets remember there may be places and times you don't want to appear armed. Hand guns certainly have their place.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Best hand gun is the one in your hand that you know how to use. If it is the one that gets you to a long gun you win.
Glocks are over hyped,over priced, foreign company made guns nothing special about them.
Revolvers are all most flawless and last many life times. Just ask Colt,Ruger and S&W owners.
What ever you do get a few and learn to use them well don't worry to much about bragging rights.
Never for get a hand gun means you screwed up and let them get to near you.
It is about staying alive not being the start of the I got this one show.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I really like revolvers but if I knew I was gonna be in a gunfight with a handgun it would be something like a 1911 or Glock in 10mm or .40 S&W.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Best hand gun is the one in your hand that you know how to use. If it is the one that gets you to a long gun you win.
Glocks are over hyped,over priced, foreign company made guns nothing special about them.
Revolvers are all most flawless and last many life times. Just ask Colt,Ruger and S&W owners.
What ever you do get a few and learn to use them well don't worry to much about bragging rights.
Never for get a hand gun means you screwed up and let them get to near you.
It is about staying alive not being the start of the I got this one show.
there may be times when you don't want to appear to be armed and you sure as hell cannot do that with a rifle. I don't worry about bragging rights at all but you can't be that over confident either, you cannot assume they get near you because you screwed up. by that logic you would need to snip off anyone you see just to be on the safe side no matter what human transaction will be necessary and that means getting close and personal not so likely to happen with a rifle on your back. I had a Colt Single Action "Cowboy" not "Army" I sold it because believe it of not it would jam, they only made these for 3 years so the part needed to be custom made so I sold it, rare but it happens. its not just the one your good, even if you maintain it parts can still break there are many other factors I went over. In a perfect world thing would last for ever and personal preference would be all that mattered, that being said in a perfect world there would be no need to prep either.

P.S. if Glocks were so over hyped and overpriced they would have gone out of business not be possibly the largest guys on the market

1 - 20 of 55 Posts