Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between these 2 models, there's also the Corona RS. What's the best folding/hand saw for a BoB? There's already a leatherman and axe in the bag. Figure tools will be very important.

BACHO 396-LAP 9 Inch Laplander Folding Saw: BAHCO 396-LAP 9 Inch Laplander Folding Saw - Amazon.com

Coghlan's Sierra Saw: Amazon.com: Coghlan's Sierra Saw: Sports & Outdoors

From my understanding BACHO does not sell replacement blades, I've seen Sierra Saw replacement blades…

Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
If weight is a concern just pack a couple of blades from the local hardware store and a couple sets of nuts and bolts. You can use a limb with the ends split a couple of inches, insert the blade and one set of nuts and bolt through the end, bend the limb and slide the other end with nuts and bolts through it to hold the blade in place and you have a nice bow saw. For me weight wasn't an issue so I bought a medium sized bow saw and just placed it verticle against the inside back of my pack along with the grill before filling my pack with the rest of my gear. To my way of thinking either way you end up with a much more usable product and replacement blades are a non-issue. YMMV...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Also, a tip. Cut a length of garden hose to the same length as your blade, split one side of it, and you have a great blade guard, so your saw won't cut up anything else in your pack.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Not too many things I will admit. I also use my BOB when I go camping...and I can find quiet a few uses for a bow saw. Its a lot faster than my tomahawk cutting through 2-3 linch limbs for making a shelter or other camp needs not to mention cutting up fire wood.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I don't know which is the best folding saw, but when I tested several edged cutting devices that can be easily carried, knives, hatchet, tomahawk and a cheap Coleman folding saw. The Coleman saw easily out cut the rest especially on smaller limbs and brush that move when hitting with a knife or hatchet that absorbs most of the force.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have the Bahco 9 inch folding saw. It's a good folding saw. I thought the locking mechanism was a bit odd yet doable and over all quality was there. One could do worse. I also have a 3 foot pocket chainsaw that goes with it. These are also a good item to have. You will not build a cabin with one yet if you encounter a storm downed limb that is too large for the Bahco to handle the pocket chainsaw may save the day and get you on your way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For larger stuff I would use one of those hand held chainsaws, the coleman folding saw is a good one, I bought one from stanley tools (I think)thats three in one that has a standard, metal and plastic cutting blade that has adjustable angles

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The type of saw you get will depend on what you will be cutting. Those shown thus far are great for cross-cutting green wood but if you plan on cutting dry wood then you need a different kind of saw.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have one of these and have been pretty pleased with it so far.

Amazon.com: Sven Saw 21": Sports & Outdoors
I'll second the Sven saw, had one when I was a kid for camping and it was a great saw. For a smaller saw a buddy of mine has a Stihl PS30 folding saw that he swears by. I've used it a couple times setting up tree stands and cutting shooting lanes and it cut very well. Local store here sells them for around $40.

-Infidel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Brand new here. I usually don't say much but I do enjoy reading the posts.

I have a Wyoming Saw that I use quite a bit hunting and camping. It is a take down bow saw and they come in two different sizes. I think 12 and 18 inch, but I sure could be wrong in that. It breaks down into a handle, two or three "bow" pieces depending on size, and a blade. The case it comes in is about 3 inches wide, 8 inches long, and an inch or so wide when it's folded up. You can get wood and bone blades for it. The bone blade is fine enough to use in lieu of a hacksaw, giving it more purposes.

I have no affiliation to any product, other than my own ramblings. Thanks for letting me add my input.

Saws

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.