Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
That's like asking who you should date. It will depend on personal preference.

I personally prefer a 45acp. I have friends who prefer 9mm. Even with these popular types of ammo, there are a multitude of guns to choose from. There are many gun ranges that rent handguns so you can try them out and find out what you like. Just be careful not to go too cheap. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I find some Taurus models such as the PT 111 Pro, PT 92 larger harder to conceal excellent in 9mm and for a 45 ACP the PT 145 is also excellent. As for other I carry a RIA/Armscor 1911 however they also make a 9mm in the MAP line that I also own one of that has been a great gun. All of these are available for less than $500 and some under $400. There are some others however those I've familiar with from personal experience. 9mm ammo is cheap and 45 ACP is also reasonable however 40 S&W is sometimes a bit higher and 38 SPL is also pretty cheap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get a Springfield XD or Ruger P95. Both are pretty awesome handgun that are pretty cheap about 350 ish.

Get 9mm which will let you hold about 16 rounds. They shoot straight and it is a nice nice handguns.

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
The best fighting handgun ever made - the 1911A1. In 45 ACP, of course. Full size, original John Browning design. Don't mess with success.
For less than $500, get a Rock Island Armory Government Model. I have not checked prices in a few years, but just a little more than $500 ought to get you a Springfield Armory GI Model, or an Auto Ordnance (Khar Arms).
I have two Colts (one Government Model, one Commander), one RIA Government Model, and one Taurus PT1911. I don't really care for the Taurus.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I bought a ParaUSA GI Expert new a few years back for $500, and rotate it as a CCW. .45ACP is my preferred round, typically of the 230gr, +P variety. I also carry a Jericho 941 (Baby Eagle) in .40S&W that I picked up for a little more. There are plenty of options out there, you just need to find what suits you, and what you prefer to shoot.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
There are lots of good choices. It still depends on what's best for the user regardless of the price. Lots of people like Glock's for instance and you can get a nice used for under $500, but they feel like a plastic brick in my hands and I hate the trigger. They also don't fit may needs and taste for a manual safety as there are many times I'll stick my pistol directly in the pants I'm wearing, no holster. Not going to see me do that on none manual safetied pistols, especially a Glock. For under $500 I'd consider a used 92FS, new ruger SR9 or SR9C, but that's what's best to me. They may not be for your tastes, but it's worth giving them a look. Another is a Beretta PX4. You can get them new for less than $500 and there an excellent pistol.

CDNN if you click on their current PDF catalog has good prices on 92FS, PX4's, Springfield XD's and even those polymer bricks. Easy transfer away.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

9mm is the most common defensive round in the US right now and still the military standard which makes it a smart preppers choices. You'll get high capacity and there are lot of great performing HP rounds on the market.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
I did just buy a Sig SP2022. The only thing I don't like about 9mm is you have to learn double taps if you want to have the same stopping power as a 45.

I am considering a ruger LC9 with the laser for cc though. Strictly for the weight issue. Most likely will end up with something like an XD-S.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
The one that fits you well. Period. We will all spew out our personal favorites, and we all think our opinion is superior. Not, me. Other people have opinions that are as good as mine. Those other people are the ones who favor the 1911 .45ACP. See what I mean?

Go to the local gun store with a Reality friend who knows handguns. He'll help you sort of out the pros and cons of the several handguns choices.

I just helped a coworker buy her first ever firearm. It was a S&W SD .40cal ACP. I'm saving my pennies for one, too, and I will tell you why.
The weapon falls into place when you draw down on the target. I'd never held one before, and it felt that good. I can only imagine it getting better with practice.
The disassembly is very easy. That makes for more cleaning, which is good.

That's just my friend and me, though. You might like something better. All this unknown internet entity is going to tell you is to get a weapon that launches a bullet of significance. Something like a .357, .40cal or .45cal is good. A .380 is a good pocket pistol, but I prefer my Taurus MilPro .45 or the 1911 .45cal, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The only thing I don't like about 9mm is you have to learn double taps if you want to have the same stopping power as a 45.
Not quite true. Certainly the .45 ACP is a fine cartridge, and I have no doubt it works well for those who choose it. However, the 9mm works just as well, especially when modern HPs are used. Double taps are never a bad idea in a self-defense situation, especially when using a handgun, any handgun.

In any case, I'd say if you can find a used Glock for $350-ish...that would be a good choice. However, except for shops selling LEO trade-ins (and then you have to factor in taxes), you don't generally see such deals, at least not in my area. The few occasions where I've seen someone selling a Glock for $350. it's been snatched up very quickly.

My vote for "best bang for the buck" though would be something in the Makarov/CZ82/P64 line. These can be found for $200-$300. Next would be the Sig P6 which can be found for $300-$400 depending on condition and spare mags, etc. Other good deals would be police trade-in revolvers in .38/.357, available for $200-$350 depending on model, condition, and caliber.

Tim

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Originally Posted by inceptor

The only thing I don't like about 9mm is you have to learn double taps if you want to have the same stopping power as a 45.
Yeah, can't say I agree with that either seeing the performance of some of the modern hollow points on the market. FMJ to FMJ I'd agree, but not modern HP.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have 40+ years experience with all types of handguns. Personally, the fit of a gun is the most important feature. You must enjoy how it feels in your hand, and shoot it well. The only way to really know this, is to handle a lot of guns. My favorite is the S&W M&P 9mm. 9MM ammo is the real bang for the buck right now. 50 rounds of FMJ for $11 out the door, $18 for 50 rounds of JHP. The M&P 9mm holds 17 rounds in the Mag, so you have a ton of capacity. The ergonomics of the M&P are the best there is in my hand. After shooting for 40+ years , the first mag I shot out of the M&P was the best grouping I have ever had in a handgun. Go to a gun shop and hold one. The "Pro" model is a bit more expensive, but is well worth it. On the Pro, you also get a custom trigger job (lighter trigger pull), and tritium night sights (glow in the dark, forever), a real benefit for self-defense. Dont bother with laser sights. In a real situation, you wont have time to even use them. Also in a pinned down situation, lasers give away your position. Lasers are really just a toy to show off to your friends. I also dont agree with double tapping mentioned earlier. With any caliber, shot placement is paramount. Ammo choice is extremely variable. I like to browse the Midway website. For most ammo's they post the foot pounds of energy that an individual load produces. There is quite a spread in the actual knock down power from load to load. I feel quite comfortable packing either my 9mm or my .45. Either one will do the job with the right ammo and shot placement. In the summertime, I often carry a Ruger SR22 with Aguila Supermax loads. It is quite capable in a SD situation, but again shot placement is very important , especially in a .22LR. I wouldn't recommend .22LR for a newbie, but if you are very experienced and proficient, no problem. Again I strongly state that ammo choice is Very important.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Glock 17

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Personally, the fit of a gun is the most important feature. You must enjoy how it feels in your hand, and shoot it well. The only way to really know this, is to handle a lot of guns.
This is the reason why I suggest going to a range and renting a gun. Handling it in a gun store is fine but you won't know if you like the feel of shooting until you have burned a few rounds. Some look good, feel good in your and but the sights are hard to line up, feels different with rounds going through it, etc. Personal preference: I am a 1911 guy. I have shot a Glock and didn't like it. I do own several plastic guns now, my main one being the Springfield XD 45. It feels good and I really like the safety features. My 1911 is still my favorite handgun.

·
RIP Johnny
179 Posts
In my 26+ years of law enforcement I've carried .38 spec.,357mag,9mm,.40 S&W and .45ACP. As previously posted, it is matter of preference, but one thing I have learned,try different guns and calibers if possible before making your decision.Find a gun that fits your hand good that you can accurately shoot with a caliber that you can control.It's an old cliche but a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with anything else. I carry a Glock 23 on duty and I like my 1911 just as well, my wife however does not like the 1911. She says it doesn't feel right. Her gun of choice is a Taurus Millienum PT145 Pro in .45ACP. So what I'm saying if you feel comfortable with what you have and shoot it accurately I say stick with what you got. Good Luck and Be Safe!

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
The one that fits you well. Period. We will all spew out our personal favorites, and we all think our opinion is superior. Not, me. Other people have opinions that are as good as mine. Those other people are the ones who favor the 1911 .45ACP. See what I mean?
Yeah, but sometimes it's fun to stir the pot, so to speak.:mrgreen:
I actually prefer revolvers, 357's, 44's and 45's. My daily carries are a 357 snub in a belt holster and a 44 special snub in my front pocket.
My barnyard carry is a Pietta SAA clone, 7 1/2" barrel, in 45 Colt.:shock:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts