Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For many years now I have confined my purchases to US products made by US owned companies as much as possible.
Some years ago I passed my Beretta 92 off to a family member and never looked back.
Awhile back I found I had a large number of Beretta 92 15 round mags and some other accessories for one in a box.
More than the cost of the weapon.
I have pretty much regarded the 92 as a good full size 9mm a work horse not a light weight CC. I also felt they were over priced both new and used.
Today I gave in LG supplier had a New Beretta 92 FS at a fair price . Just what I needed another full size 9mm.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I LOVE my Beretta 92 FS. Although I do not use it for CC. It is still my favorite pistol to shoot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the Beretta 92 is a fine pistol. I own a 96fs, and a 96d, and manage to cc them (one at a time) in a fanny pack style set up, together with 2 spare magazines. I also carry my wallet, cell phone, flashlight, spare pocket knife, lighter, and extra cash in the same pack. Some say that a fanny pack is like advertising that I have a cc weapon, but I find most people go about their own business and don't notice or even care. I like the idea of having a full sized weapon for use at a moment's notice, and the weight is pretty evenly distributed on my body, so it is not onerous or overly burdensome. Just a thought if you might like to try it out, and don't mind the feel of a fanny pack.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It's a fine side arm, but I have a long standing love affair with the Hi-Power for a 9mm.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The Fed Agency I worked for issued them to us and then balked 6 months later and opened the door to Sigs, S&W and HKs. I didn't dislike them at all, but for the price diff I bought P89s and 95s. The Rugers are just fun uglies to me that always work.

....and if I a run empty and have to throw it I don't mind with the Rugers...it just adds character to em

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I love them and find them a top quality pistol. People are funny about what they like so I don't put any stock in someone's opinion of not liking them. I know for myself what they are. I've heard many guys simply not like them for the safety. I've heard many not like them simply because of the M9 they got issued in the military. Military weapons aren't the way to set an opinion in my experience since most are so beat up and it can take way too long for an armorer to get around to changing parts out on one that needs it. I've carried my 92FS for a long time now as a CCW and while it is heavy and a fullsize, I conceal it just fine with the right holster and the right clothes. I prefer to carry it because it's the best shooting pistols for me and I favor the safety and quality. I do change parts out on mine though. I use Wolff trigger return springs and slide stop springs. Wolff reduced power hammer springs and ISMI chrome silicon extra power recoil springs. I wish ISMI would make hammer springs out of chrome silicon but they don't. The Wolff's are good though and a reduced power hammer spring reduces the trigger pull weight. I'm using 17'lbers in all of mine right now.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i absolutely love my beretta. I got my sons the INOX model. they love their berettas too. when ants went to OCS the first hing he asked for was to go shoot his beretta. and was specific about really missing this pistol :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I looked at one at the LGS ease of disassembly was impressive I was never issued one my son was he's sticking with Sig I'm sticking with revolvers and Glock.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I carried one in the early 80's that I was issued. It was a very good gun however I decided to buy myself one about 3 years ago but was put off by the prices so looked at the alternatives discovering the Taurus 92 AF. Now I have one and find it as good if not better gun than the original Beretta with a number of improvements such as safety in a location it belongs instead of on top of the slide. So all things considered they are the same guns with many parts such as locking block, springs, barrels etc are interchangeable and at a cheaper price invested. Finish is equally as good though different they both hold up well to abuse. Magazines can be used but Beretta has a smaller magazine lock which require it to be opened a bit to work in a Taurus 92.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
The Berretta 92 FS is listing locally for 619 for the standard and 629-649 respectively for the civilian version M9 and M9A1. I have been thinking about getting one. Seeing as how I don't have a 9mm.

Though I have to say it would be a toss up between the Berretta 92FS and the CZ75B, the finish on the Berretta is nicer but for a couple of hundred bucks more I'd expect it to be. I have had the opportunity to shoot both the Berretta 92FS and the CZ75B and liked them both.

I'd really like to have a Berretta model 84 (.380) Cheetah but it's more expensive than the 92FS and I might add a lot harder to find.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paid 580 with box of ammo.
I carried a 92 in the Army when we switched from the 45

Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The price really hasn't changed much for new ones. I paid $578 out the door for my 92FS and M9 about a decade ago. That a dealer wants to charge more for a commercial M9 is simple greedy markup as the cost and list price of a 92FS and M9 are the same. There exactly the same pistol in parts. The only differences are the markings, the machining of the frame slightly different and the sight painting. The M9's dustcover (frame area underneath the guide rod and barrel)is straighter. The 92FS has more of an angler dustcover machining. The backstrap (area of the frame the meat between your thumbs and index finger rests on the back of the grip) of the 92FS is relieved (radiused)(grooved in) where the M9's is not. If you want an M9 commercial, than I suggest you keep looking for a dealer not so greedy.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
There are a few reasons I don't think much of the 9mm cartridge. The first is that it has the same power as the 38 special +P round and the police dropped that round for the 357 a long time ago because of a lack of penetration. Then they go back to the same power level simply because they can carry more rounds. I don't think more, ineffective rounds, is any better than fewer ineffective rounds. The FBI changed to 9mm and then abruptly went to the 10mm. They thought it was too difficult to control so they opted for the 40 caliber which has similar ballistics to the 45 ACP that they also dropped for the 357. Granted the 40, with similar ballistics to the 45 and carries more rounds is a decent choice, at least better than the 9mm but neither has the penetration or ballistics of the 10mm or the 357 which share similar ballistics.

It is almost like the law enforcement folks want to be out-gunned by the bad guys.

For the pistols/handguns I can see the more rounds before reloading the weapon and I will even say that a mag change is quicker than a speed loader but how many rounds from a 357 Magnum does it take to stop someone? One round in the head following a heart shot will stop anyone (and yes I train to make those two shots instinctively). How long are you going to involve yourself in a firefight with a handgun?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I went back and did some online comparison shopping and found the online prices more in line with what you've mentioned...thanks
Still on the bubble over whether or not to get myself one.
I kind of want one yet I really don't need one.
Right now I'm up to my arse in and spending my spare cash on summer projects around the house.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
The Beretta 92 was my first issued duty weapon. The reliability was exceptional and it ran smooth as butter. When I went to the academy I watched as several Taurus PT Beretta clones failed. It had me worried for a minute. That gun fired more rounds than I will ever know without a single glitch. It was as big as a house though and weighed alot. The Beretta 92 will always be on my short list of go-to weapons.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Beretta 92 was my first issued duty weapon. The reliability was exceptional and it ran smooth as butter. When I went to the academy I watched as several Taurus PT Beretta clones failed. It had me worried for a minute. That gun fired more rounds than I will ever know without a single glitch. It was as big as a house though and weighed alot. The Beretta 92 will always be on my short list of go-to weapons.
Actually Taurus wasn't nor is it a clone. The bought the Beretta plant in Brazil from Beretta including all the machines, steel formulas, blue prints and rights to build the 92 series guns for the Brazilian law enforcement/military which they still do. Now I've owned both and both have held up equally well though in my mind Taurus has actually improved on it with some feature that Beretta has also added to their new lines. The only advantage to the Beretta over the Taurus is the locking block which can be changed easily to the Beretta version now in use though the Taurus one will last well over 20K rounds and often 30K.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Just because a firearm is made on the same equipment doesn't means it's the same as the original firearm that equipment used to make. The Taurus's are a 92 clone in common gun enthusiast and dealer fields. I've shot them and sold them and there not the same as a 92FS or M9. The quality just isn't the same and there's often a lot more slack machining with the Taurus's and the parts fit. I particularly don't care for the safety on them compared to the Beretta's but that's simply a personal preference as is the opposite. It's basically a 1911 ripoff with the Taurus safety and it is nice that you can cock the hammer back and put the safety on. If that floats your boat anyways. Overall I find the PT92's a good gun for the money, but there still not a 92FS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just because a firearm is made on the same equipment doesn't means it's the same as the original firearm that equipment used to make. The Taurus's are a 92 clone in common gun enthusiast and dealer fields. I've shot them and sold them and there not the same as a 92FS or M9. The quality just isn't the same and there's often a lot more slack machining with the Taurus's and the parts fit. I particularly don't care for the safety on them compared to the Beretta's but that's simply a personal preference as is the opposite. It's basically a 1911 ripoff with the Taurus safety and it is nice that you can cock the hammer back and put the safety on. If that floats your boat anyways. Overall I find the PT92's a good gun for the money, but there still not a 92FS.
The original Beretta 92, which came out in 1977 or 78, had the frame mounted safety and a magazine release on the lower grip, but Beretta changed to a slide mounted safety and higher magazine release to compete in the US military trials in the early 80's, and began manufacturing commercial pistols with the same set up. Taurus simply retained the original safety location on their Beretta clones. As far as quality, I suspect that you are spot on, as Taurus is generally a bit rougher than their first line competitors such as Beretta, Smith and Wesson . . . etc.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts