Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to a woman in Cape Coral,Fl being evicted because she doesn't have running water or power and wants to live off grid. She did a story about it and the next day was served with an eviction notice.. Her house is paid for and taxes are paid in full.. The government is becoming WAYY to big for their ****ing britches!!!

Widow Faces Eviction in Fla. City For ?Living Off the Grid? | TheBlaze.com

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They know you wont be paying taxes on those utilities and they wont stand for it!! This kind of shit just baffles my mind. Apparently they did a story on this woman and didn't tell her name or where she lived. The city actually went out of their way to find her and do this!! That is the scary part..

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would say unbelievable, but nothing is surprising me nowadays,.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Having served as a council member for city there are some things i can see as right and some i cant. i havent read the story yet, but i will comment that people want streets, but not to pay for them. People want a fire hydrant available, but I guess they expect the men who install it, build it, put in the water lines, and keep the water pressure on to go without pay or benefits? Some think they can installtheir own water welland not buy the governments water and dont care they just reduced the plume of water for their neighbors. Some think they can install a leach field where ever they want for its their land, and again with no consideration on how water travels under ground and what that might do to a neighbor. If you dont like City rules we are still a free nation....Move Out of the city!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Now that I have read the article its raises more questions then answers. If she lives in an incorporated area then she is responsible for city service connections even if she does not use them. If she uses only reclaimed or free gathered rain water she puts firemen at risk for protecting her property.

Dont get me wrong I know cities can abuse land owners. In my CA home i converted my garage into a rental apartment but if i want a separate utility hook up its $2700 so i dont. I have a large residential lot and enough room for a cottage in the back yard but the permit for that is $35,000 for a residence i can build for $12k. Crazy it seems, but imagine the roads, parking, intersections in the old neighborhood if everyone added a cottage.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
My bet is the home has water and electricity hooked up but she just isn't using it, I could see them charging her a small fee for sewage since it is calculated from water usage. But in this day and age a home can be completely off the grid and just as safe as one that is. I am almost surprised that there isn't a company that specializes in off the grid homes in the cities. With things like LED lighting and UV water treatment a solar system can easily supply the electricity needed, you still would probably need propane for heating and cooking.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I am pretty sure you can find contractors to make it happen, but probably not in a city. The cities in CA forbid wells so you would not have water pressure for fire fighting, the cities also forbid new septic systems to protect the underground water supplies that are provided to all. On utilities they require the connection, and while i can see the disagreement if the utility is required to make its power available there is a cost in doing so that someone must pay.

My bet is the home has water and electricity hooked up but she just isn't using it, I could see them charging her a small fee for sewage since it is calculated from water usage. But in this day and age a home can be completely off the grid and just as safe as one that is. I am almost surprised that there isn't a company that specializes in off the grid homes in the cities. With things like LED lighting and UV water treatment a solar system can easily supply the electricity needed, you still would probably need propane for heating and cooking.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Now that I have read the article its raises more questions then answers. If she lives in an incorporated area then she is responsible for city service connections even if she does not use them. If she uses only reclaimed or free gathered rain water she puts firemen at risk for protecting her property.

Dont get me wrong I know cities can abuse land owners. In my CA home i converted my garage into a rental apartment but if i want a separate utility hook up its $2700 so i dont. I have a large residential lot and enough room for a cottage in the back yard but the permit for that is $35,000 for a residence i can build for $12k. Crazy it seems, but imagine the roads, parking, intersections in the old neighborhood if everyone added a cottage.
How would using only reclaimed water put firemen at risk? They either bring their own or tap into the main through a hydrant. No electricity would make it safer, with battery/ solar power the risk of fire is many time less.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I don't like lawyers, but I hope hers is good at BS so she can win a law suit and get enough money from the city to live free for the rest of her life. Just because something is offered doesn't mean you have to use it or pay so someone else can use it. They don't evict poor people for using things they can't/don't pay for, they usually give them more free stuff. Pure bull shit IMO! If she lives in a community that has an HOA she's screwed, but that would be her problem for getting to an HOA to begin with.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It is best to remain quiet about most of this stuff. We can mostly assume that discussions online are ok but if your neighbors get info on your lifestyle, they can file all kinds of complaints and you can't do anything about it, even the false complaints. The cities are increasingly using complaint-driven rules to evict people for being "nuisances" and that includes being a victim of a complaint campaign. I haven't seen any lawyers decide to specialize in defending victims of this type of campaign unless they are in a politically-correct category of victimhood. Then the category and not the complaint-campaign becomes the issue.

Best thing for all of us to do is to maintain an appearance of being on-grid. There are actually prepaid electric companies now and so if you are off-grid you can just have a pre-pay account with a hundred dollars in it and let that appear to the bureaucracy as on-grid-ness. Water issues also are prone to nanny-goat complaints and so you have to maintain an appearance of official water access there, too, even if you are practicing off-grid water conservation.

I know of several people who have been evicted over this kind of issue. In one part of Texas, the Democrats are evicting people who have sunflowers and prickly-pear as well as other native food and bird-feeder plants because they are classified as weeds! In my own city we are facing a lot of stalking from yuppies who are trying to evict people from older homes so they can use them for real-estate speculation.

There are several self-protective tactics one can use. Actually, subscribing to something like "Investor's Daily" or getting on expensive catalog mailings is one of my favorites because it starts rumors among the stalking yuppies that you are an eccentric millionaire and you might could sue them if they go too far. I've had fun with that kind of tactic more than once.

Gotta keep your sense of humor in it, after all.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
This has been going on for a generation or more.
Some areas you can not build a house unless it is over 400 sq feet. My wifes Uncles, I did the contracting on the house and the city was forcing me to go at least 3500 sq feet of living place.
Saved by a loop hole that allowed replacing an old farm house with the same general size if it was a homestead.
The reason for the 3500 sq feet law was to "keep Trail park trash out"

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
OK so I build or convert a home that is self contained --solar for electric-- Filtered rain for water --wouldn't that be good for the environment?
Maybe even a septic system to return natural wast back to the earth?

Ok so if she has the water and electric turned on but pulls the main breaker for the electric and shuts off the main valve for the water
then she could stay? The city would get a few bucks from her every month and that would make it OK?

Stuff like this just boils my blood,,,,,,,,This story should go nation wide ,, Maybe wake up some sheep

looked like she had running water and electric just not from the grid.---must have came from god and that's unacceptable

most but not all of my electric is solar and I have a well,,,,,,,,Am I next?

I also am working on running water from a 12 volt pump (solar) with a propane water heater

What can we do to help this woman?

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Every county & cuty within each county has its own requirements for a liveable home. Electric, water, & sewer are normally the three required. My county adds a water heater requirement. Water can be public or your own well. Sewer can be public utility or septic tank with drain field. But public electricity connection is required. There is nothing that states the main breaker has to be turned on so if you wanted to completey run off solar you could but you would still have to pay the basic electricity hookup fee.
In Florida, all these things are also required for basic homstead exemption which is the first $25,000 value of your property is not taxable.

I don't know if the lady lives within the city limits or what county she lives in so can't comment on the requirements to be a habitable home.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I live in this county where cape coral AKA cape crap is located. They have a ton of stupid rules in that city, when I moved here in 1988 I was warned about living there, so we did not even look we bought on the far side of the county.

Some of their rules.
1. you have to get a permit to have a garage sale and signs must be city approved or bought from the city.
2. I f you drive a work truck you cannot park on your property or the street if it has a company name, pipe, ladder racks, Etc.
3. you cannot park a boat or camp trailer or any sort of trailer on your property or street at any time.
4. If you want dish tv, directv, or any tv that requires a satellite or antenna you must get a permit.
5. if your lawn is over 8 inches tall the city will mow it and bill you if not paid they lien the property.
6 they have a dual water system, one household use the other is reclaimed for lawn and yard watering.
They are expanding the water system and homeowners are being billed thousands of dollars for forced hook-up these charges are placed on your property tax bill. If you cannot afford to pay they will set up a convenient payment system with interest.

That is just some of their craziness.
And no this lady does not live in a HOA or gated community.
This is no small city it is between 150,000 and 200,000 residents.
Thank god I did not buy there .

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I live in this county where cape coral AKA cape crap is located. They have a ton of stupid rules in that city, when I moved here in 1988 I was warned about living there, so we did not even look we bought on the far side of the county.

Some of their rules.
1. you have to get a permit to have a garage sale and signs must be city approved or bought from the city.
2. I f you drive a work truck you cannot park on your property or the street if it has a company name, pipe, ladder racks, Etc.
3. you cannot park a boat or camp trailer or any sort of trailer on your property or street at any time.
4. If you want dish tv, directv, or any tv that requires a satellite or antenna you must get a permit.
5. if your lawn is over 8 inches tall the city will mow it and bill you if not paid they lien the property.
6 they have a dual water system, one household use the other is reclaimed for lawn and yard watering.
They are expanding the water system and homeowners are being billed thousands of dollars for forced hook-up these charges are placed on your property tax bill. If you cannot afford to pay they will set up a convenient payment system with interest.

That is just some of their craziness.
And no this lady does not live in a HOA or gated community.
This is no small city it is between 150,000 and 200,000 residents.
Thank god I did not buy there .
Permit for a garage sale?! How bout that!!! Mow my yard if it is over 8in tall. I would put some heavy poles in the ground about 9in above the ground and let their blades hit it. Not to mention a few pounds of roofing nails..

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
So then why shouldn't she pay for the emergency access to the water main?

How would using only reclaimed water put firemen at risk? They either bring their own or tap into the main through a hydrant. No electricity would make it safer, with battery/ solar power the risk of fire is many time less.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So then why shouldn't she pay for the emergency access to the water main?
Usually, emergency services are paid through your taxes.. She is paid up to date on her taxes. There shouldn't be a problem there..

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Her mistake was doing a story on it and letting herself get used as an experiment, example and public victim. Same thing happens to many green people who get articles done about them, a bit later the army shows up, dozes their gardens/water reclaimer/off grid system to non existence and runs home to create more laws that tighten control, increase dependence, child like ignorance and keep that money going where it is supposed to.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts