Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year, my family buys a cow to slaughter. We do everything from "Dispatching" it to Eating it (of course). Haven't bought beef from the market in I don't know how long. We usually split it up between 2-3 houses, and it lasts all year till its time to do it again, which it is nearing that time again. It used to cost about $700, now its about $1700-1800. Last year we got it free b/c my father in-law did some work on his uncle's tractor and thats the guy who we get it from. I realize that the price to feed these animals is not getting cheaper, but IMHO, I still think its the best way to go. There is nothing like having a chest freezer full of red meat to last all year long. The only thing I worry about is in the event of a power outage that would last more than a few days, we need to invest in a generator (preferably solar so gas can be used in other applications). I will search or start a new thread that focuses more on the generator as to not get topics mixed up. I was just curious to how many folks buy meat in bulk, whether it be beef, pork, poultry, etc.... and how much you're paying.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
We had 3 cows on our ranch a few years ago and around $600 was the price I remember. I don't know what the bulk price is right now, but I'm 110% with you on everything from taste to the health benefits of it. The drawback when we purchased the cows is that we purchased milk cows, which was a bad mistake on our part. One of the cows had some health issues on top of things, which made the medicine prices rocket our checkbook. I'm doing rabbits this year.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ive never bought a cow before so i have no idea, but this year was not a good year for livestock. The drought, made all the farmers sell there cattle early, there was talk of meat shortages because of it. Also the ethanol mandate just make feed skyrocket.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have a local sparten store near me i usually make offers at on sunday afternoons
just before butcher goes home
i get ground round, chuck, and serloin all at the same price as ground round
t bones,porterhouse,delmonicos for the price of strip steaks
i dont mind a little darkining of beef it is still good but a lot cheaper
surf and terf cheaper then any fast food lunck special
cut and canned in perfect porprotions no leftovers and no waste

·
Registered
481 Posts
Honestly, buying a whole cow would not be a good deal for our family. I buy markdown meat that's also on sale and get insane deals (Porterhouse/Rib eye for for $3.00 a pound, Hamburger for .99 cents a pound, etc, pork roasts for .99 cents a pound). I would see the main benefit as buying a grass fed cow would be the quality of the meat would be better. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of buying for quality. Too many mouths to feed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Alright, im going to have to stop watching this article, making me hungry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I honestly couldnt say if the ones we buy are grass fed or corn fed or whatever else. I do know the quality is good for the price and for how many mouths it feeds. I also couldnt tell you what our local market (ie: iga, savalot, walmart) is selling beef at per pound b/c it never occurs to me to look at it while I'm there. Next time I go I will try to get some prices to just compare. Just recently some pre made beef patties were brought home just for a quick fix and I could clearly tell as they just werent the same. I know walmart is claiming to have good stuff, but I'll let somebody else be the judge at that. I dont think a place where you can buy socks and a beanbag chair should be the same place where you get your steak. Nothing against wally world, as they have so many other things that are useful and its really the only place around here in Rural America that you can get many needs in one quick swoop. I say quick, who am I kidding, once we made a trip to McDonalds for the pregnant wife at 2 a.m. and it turned into a $150 walmart trip. I'm rambling, see ya.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive never bought a cow before so i have no idea, but this year was not a good year for livestock. The drought, made all the farmers sell there cattle early, there was talk of meat shortages because of it. Also the ethanol mandate just make feed skyrocket.
Agreed, it was very bad around here. Hell, there is still corn, if thats what you wanna call it, standing in a field down the road from here. Many farmers took a big hit this year.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm sell Rahman Sheep and Shami Goats from our farm for a living usually maintaining a herd of 250 or more. We also sell their by products i.e. the Sheepskins, skulls, and horns. We buy the lambs for $65 each and sell them for $379 or more. We buy at 3 months and sell them at about 10 months for ethnic slaughter. The cycle is repeated each year. For those who can afford it and have the means to do it it goes without saying that raising your own meat in MOST situations is cheaper IF you're using wholesome quality products and do not want to eat meat that is infested with growth hormones, antibiotics and harmful drugs and chemicals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I buy most of my meet locally from a small grocery store called John's Supermarket. It is owned by Greg Thompson our mayor here in Monroe, GA. Ground Chuck is $2.99 per pound. You can click on the link and see the current prices.
I like the idea of local ownership, especially markets and grocery, we just dont have that around here surprisingly, being a rural community. We have a local hardware and lumber store, thats about it, everything else is chain stores as far as household goods and food goes. We have our fair share of private autobody shops and some welding and mfg. shops. I never really got to experience the "Good Ole Days", but I miss them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.