Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why go out hunting in an Urban landscape , when you can Call Food right to your Back Yard ?
A small 2 foot diameter Bird Bath behind your apartment , condo or home, might bring enough
food to feed a small family, for a long time.
A BB gun is quiet and acurate for a distance of 15 feet, right out your back door or glass sliding door.
Learning to field clean a bird takes about 5 minutes or less , with practice.
A small solar oven like the copanhag oven can cook 3 or 4 bird breast in around 30 minutes to 2 hours,
depending on the brightness and intensity of the Sun .
This is just a simple idea , and not expensive to set up.
My recommendations would be the 10 pump type BB gun rifles , pumped to 4 or 5 pumps.
Try to buy these BB guns at garage sales or estate sales for under $ 20.oo .
There are solar ovens out there for $35.oo or less .
The bird bath can be bought at estate sales too.
If you have a simple idea to help survive alittle bit long , please list them . Thanks

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
That's thinking outside the box. We have a bird bath and feeders. Most of them are small finches and bluebirds. It would take a bunch if them to make any kind if a meal. We get the occasional mourning doves as well. We are rural though, maybe in the urban jungle you get the bigger birds like pigeons. Not sure if they are good to eat since they get into all kinds of nasty stuff like polluted water. Another thought is to catch some live and try breeding them like in the old days. In thinking for the city, cats might be plentiful and can be taken with a pellet rifle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In Cleveland there are resturants where you can get pigeon. It's called city chicken. I'm not kidding. It's not half bad I guess.
In my part of Ohio the rabbit and turkey population is up very high. And I think I'd rather eat a rabbit than a bird that eats trash.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
pellet gun instead of a BB gun - more versatile .... you need to think about multiplying your manhours and not expending more calories & resources than you gain .... there's alot of various netting techniques for small birds .... everything from just spreading a net across their usual flightpath to self tripping netting traps .... you're correct about small bird gaming - the old nursery rhyme "20 blackbirds baked into a pie" has a real life foundation to the verse .....

quiet .... it's going to be the key to urban hunting & foraging .... learn all you can about traps & snares .... gather the necessary supplies for any DIY devices .... establish or maintain your urban feeding & watering management plan - a good local population to begin is key ....

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
The edible portion of a dove, the breast, is smaller than an unshelled walnut. The species of back yard birds flocking to bird baths or feeders are much smaller than the average dove.
Humans do not require meat to thrive and survive.

Reactions: CWOLDOJAX

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
While fried grackle or European Starling would not be high on my list I'm sure it would be better than nothing. Dove is worth eating pretty much anytime.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We have a squirrel feeder on one side of the yard which has 5 squirrels that feed there everyday and a bird feeder on the other side. We attract a lot of doves every morning and early evening.
My Father use to have us kids go out and shoot black birds and he would take the breast meat and make spaghetti sauce with them.
My thought is sooner or later you are going to run out of food to feed the birds and squirrels and they will move on, considering of course you have not killed them all off or they have figured out that eating at your place is deadly.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Must be some frog eating Frenchies around here. They eat little birds..guts..feathers and all with a towel over their heads. Seen it on TV one time so its bound to be right.

[quote from the link]
Gastronomy

For centuries, a rite of passage for French gourmets was the eating of the Ortolan. These tiny birds-captured alive, force-fed, then drowned in Armagnac-were roasted whole and eaten that way, bones and all, while the diner draped his head with a linen napkin to preserve the precious aromas and, some believe, to hide from God.

The birds are caught in nets set during their migratory flight to Africa. They are then kept in covered cages or boxes. This apparent night-time causes the birds to gorge themselves on grain (usually millet seed) until they double their size. "Roman Emperors stabbed out ortolans' eyes in order to make the birds think it was night, making them eat

Ortolan bunting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Some critters are just not worth it, no matter how hungry you are. Either not worth the energy for the calories, or high probability of being infected with parasites that you probably won't kill when you cook it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts