Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been off and on with the notion of picking up a bayonette for the AR. I think bayonettes are neat yet question how useful (practical) they actually are.

Is it a must have to complete the rifle or a not necessary yet nice to have item? Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have a bit of a Curio and Relic problem in that I simply have a soft spot for old battle rifles. For those, I always try and fit the correct bayonette, but for modern rifles I haven't ever had the urge.

I don't think there is a wrong answer to your question. All a matter of what gives ya the warm fuzzies.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bayonettes are just like guns, knives, and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

Reactions: NordicWarrior94

·
Registered
938 Posts
I was watching a program on the Military Channel the other night and it was about the battle to rid the city of Fallujah of insurgents. The military told the populous they intended to attack and imposed a deadline for all non-combatants to leave, stating they would treat all people remaining after the deadline as enemy soldiers. They proceeded to clear every single building and house on every single street, in some of the worst close quarters combat since Stalingrad.

In one house an insurgent was holed up in a room with a sunken floor setup, so that shots at center mass were going over his head. So these Marines decide they had to enter the room to finish the fight, and one guy went in and tackled the shooter. His buddy came in to back him up, but could not risk taking a shot while the two men rolled around fighting on the floor. So, he affixed his bayonet onto his M16 and proceeded to stab the insurgent every time he got an opening to stick him. The other Marine took out his own knife and began stabbing the insurgent, and the guy finally succumbed to the multiple stab wounds.

So, I think a bayonet has definite value if the situation gets to the point where you need to stick someone.

And you know what they say: if you get a shot at sticking someone, you better stick them, because if they get a shot at sticking you, they will stick you....

·
Administrator
15,018 Posts
I was well trained by the Army in The Spirit Of The Bayonet, with both pugil sticks and the M14 rifle. The use of a bayonet mounted on a rifle is not limited to just straight thrusting; it is a system of moves, parrys, slashes, butt strokes, etc.
I have a small collection of military surplus rifles, and have the proper bayonet for most. Still need to find one for my Mauser K98k.
Even with an empty rifle, if there's a bayonet on the end I can still be deadly at close range.

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I put an M-9 bayonet on 2 of my AR''s. The M-9's are easy to pop on/off and gives you an option if you run out of ammo or get in a jam and you are up to your neck in a bad situation.
I have several SKS's and Mosin Nagant rifles with the factory bayonet and that is what gave me the idea for my AR's.

SDF880

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
My bayonet is to my rifle the same as a spare tire is to my jeep or fire extingusher is to my kitchen.

Kinda like the insurance guys say: "Don't leave home without it".

Still got my M1 Garand bayonet from 'Nam, . . . even still got the leather sheath I had a local make me for it.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you...all of you! for the great replies...I've been looking at a basic AR style batonettes, and noticed that there are a several bayonettes that start with the M designation. I assume any of thise would be fine.

Then there are others of different style made by S&W and Ontario etc, that look different and are considerably more expensive. Lastly there are the imports and historical (whatever that means? ) bayonettes.

I'm leaning towards the standard issue type bayonette...which (I'm guessing) for a colt LE6920, would be the M9?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have bayonets for both my Mosin and SKS and have one on order that should arrive with my Garand (provided CMP ever gets caught up with orders). I don't plan on letting anyone get close enough that I'll need a bayonet but as has already been said better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. My feeling is if you have a rifle that can be fitted with a bayonet then you should have one for it, think of it as an extra tool in your arsenal. As for which bayonet you should buy, I would go for the correct military issue bayonet for your rifle.

-Infidel

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have an M9 bayonet issued to me while I was in the service and allowed to keep. One of my AR's it fits (pre Brady bill) the other it does not fit the bayonet lug on the gas block. The bayonet lug on this rifle is just a few milometers to long and the bayonet will not lock on to it. If you can see if it fits before you buy.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe it's the M7 and not the M9 that is or was the original bayonette for the M16/AR15 pattern rifles. The M9 came along later in 1984. So it is actually an M7 that I'm looking at getting, or more specifically an M7-B. I have a line on a used one (military surplus?) supposedly in good condition (we'll see). I agree it's better to have it and never need it that to need it not have it.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I was somewhat supprised at the cost...I didn't think they'd cost as much as they do...especially the surplus ones. 50 bucks was the least I found one for (M7) and well over 200 buck the most expensive (M9). With the one offs (questionable origin) coming in around 20 bucks.

The LE 6920 is sometimes refered to as an Mforgery. It's Colts civilian version of the M4's that they produce for the military. Hence the derogatory term. That aside I believe a milspec or surplus bayonette stands the best chance of fitting. We'll see...

·
Administrator
15,018 Posts
Thank you...all of you! for the great replies...I've been looking at a basic AR style batonettes, and noticed that there are a several bayonettes that start with the M designation. I assume any of thise would be fine.

Then there are others of different style made by S&W and Ontario etc, that look different and are considerably more expensive. Lastly there are the imports and historical (whatever that means? ) bayonettes.

I'm leaning towards the standard issue type bayonette...which (I'm guessing) for a colt LE6920, would be the M9?
I can only bring you up to the 1970's.
M4 bayonet - M1 Carbine
M5 & M5A1 - M1 Garand
M6 - M14 rifle
M7 - M16, M16A1, M16A2
M8 is the designation for the metal/fiberglass scabbard for all the above bayonets
A more recent veteran would have to speak to the M9, that is after my time and I know nothing about it.
Imports are usually lower quality, historical would mean original issue equipment that appeals to collectors and is priced accordingly.
My advice for bayonets for American rifles would be to look for the designation USGI, which stands for US Government Issue. If you think you may ever use it for it's intended purpose, don't get an imported reproduction. A few years ago $39 would get you a USGI M7 with scabbard. Since the Obama administration has been printing money like there's no tomorrow I see they are running about $69 now just for the bayonet.
If you want sticker shock, try pricing an original issue WWII 10" bayonet for a Garand. They used to be well over $100 and that was 7 years ago.

People may think that bayonets don't have a place in modern warfare, but if you are being over run or otherwise caught with an empty magazine and not even a chance to change it, a bayonet could save your life. Or at least buy you a few more moments of life, depending on how deep the crapola is.

·
Administrator
15,018 Posts
Just remember having the bayonet on the rifle will change the POI.
On a Mosin Nagant, yes, most definately.
I don't remember it being an issue on the M14 or M16A1 though, and we shot the M14 out to 500 meters.
Not sure about anything else, but the bayonet fit on my Garand is sloppy enough I doubt it would matter. Never checked it.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just remember having the bayonet on the rifle will change the POI.
I agree, and thats something I'd expect to happen, yet if I'm fixing a bayonet to my rifle, I suspect that the situation would be such that a shift in POI would be the least of my worries...lol

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On a Mosin Nagant, yes, most definately.
I don't remember it being an issue on the M14 or M16A1 though, and we shot the M14 out to 500 meters.
Not sure about anything else, but the bayonet fit on my Garand is sloppy enough I doubt it would matter. Never checked it.
It would be interesting to see if it did, I think it would, maybe not by much...yet still some....I shoot the M1A out to 500 meters and it doesn't take much error for me to miss a 20" gong at that range. I'm a practiced shot but not an expert by any means...

·
Administrator
15,018 Posts
It would be interesting to see if it did, I think it would, maybe not by much...yet still some....I shoot the M1A out to 500 meters and it doesn't take much error for me to miss a 20" gong at that range. I'm a practiced shot but not an expert by any means...
Factory iron sights, right? :D

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Factory iron sights, right? :D
Yes...NM sights...and I can still use all the help I can get...thats a long ways off, well for me it is...I have no illusions about my sniping ability or lack therof...lol

I'm looking at getting an Ontario 6277 M7-B, I think thats the one for me. The M9 bayonettes from what I read are slightly longer and more knife like. I may eventually get an M9, at current prices they want an arm and a leg for one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts