Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Awhile back I was watching a winter storm roll on in, and saw the dreaded blue flash of light from a transformer giving up its electronic ghost.

Turns out a dead pine tree (from powder post beetle infestation) had cracked from the wind, took out a power line, and blew out the transformer.

I am always on the lookout for items that will aid in emergency preps, none more common than power outages. So, I was at Lowe's, and I always venture through Tool World whenever I go there, looking for good deals that the employees always try and squirrel away for themselves (yeah, it definitely happens, all the time). I come upon some DeWalt worklights, based off of their 18 volt nickel cadmium rechargeable batteries for their handheld power tools. DeWalt tools are incredibly high quality, but they are way too expensive to pay full retail on. So I always check on sales for these, and I found this work light, which normally retailed for $49.95 on clearance sale for $24.95. Now, that is what a decent Mag-Lite sells for, so it caught my eye. I ended up buying four of them, because I have two chargers and four batteries from other DeWalt tools on sale purchases in the past. These things are great - you can hang them off of the included metal shepherd's hook, and they really throw off some light. They can light an entire room up at night, and last quite awhile before they have to be recharged. Pop on a new battery, and you go again.

Here is what one looks like:

I really like these. They are very well built, and stand on their own without wobbling. They throw off a wide bright light, and you can direct the beam if you need to. They are great for working on equipment, and last about 45 minutes before needing a recharge. Word of warning though -- when they die, they just go off, no dimming or flickering. So you need to be ready to switch power sources. Great light if you have DeWalt equipment already. I love mine - great during blackouts!

I have some other backup lighting equipment that I plan to add to this thread, so if you want to post up some pictures of yours "Come into the light. All are welcome. Come into the light!"

Human body Rectangle Organism Art Wall

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what is your plan for recharging the batteries if the outage is more then 24 hours?
That is a good question.

I have a Honda EM2500 portable generator, gasoline powered. It will run any kind of 120 volt equipment, so if the power stays off for awhile, making it worth firing up the generator, then I just plug in the charger and recharge the batteries. It also recharges 12V batteries, separately. It can run two 120V outlets, or one 240 volt.

The DeWalt lights are for when you think they will be able to restore power in a reasonable period of time. Or if you just need a cordless work light (boat, etc.) handy.

I also have some Coleman battery powered lamps (which run on D cells or 6V dry cells) that I keep on hand for when the DeWalt kick off and I don't run the generator. I just prefer the DeWalt because they are rechargeable and you don't use up dry cells.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah, I really like them and don't plan to return them. I have several other options to use as well, if circumstances warrant. The DeWalts are just the easiest to get to when it goes dark fast.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
It only works in the day time, but in some circumstances it can be quite useful,
I'm speaking of that story I read about the guy who makes interior lighting for 3rd
world families using a 2ltr bottle and some chlorine - can't find the link right now
but my understanding is the bottle, some chlorine and water produce a nice interior
light source using the sun....under $2 and that's if you drink the soda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No doubt they are very well built, but don’t have much intensity to produce bright light. I have purchased one battery powered rechargeable light from emergencylight.com which has amazing luminous power and good battery capacity. Exit word is also mentioned on the top of it, so there is no need to put extra warning sign to that place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.