Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Filtration methods, storage tips, how to calculate the right amount of water to store and a complete glossary of water treatment terms.
Water Filtration, Purification and Storage - The Prepper Post
I am sorry your link didn't work so here is the skinny

You need a way to purify water from the start, storing water isn't a reliable prep unless you plan on only a 2-3 week problem which isn't realistic.

1. Get Berkey water filtration system (google it, not hard to find)

2. If you think $300 isn't worth your families life than buy several gallons of Bleach, and learn how to use it to disinfect water. It isn't hard and it isn't expensive but it will only endure until your bleach gives out.

3. Storing water is a pussies game as you will outlive your stocks in a few weeks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am sorry your link didn't work so here is the skinny

You need a way to purify water from the start, storing water isn't a reliable prep unless you plan on only a 2-3 week problem which isn't realistic.

1. Get Berkey water filtration system (google it, not hard to find)

2. If you think $300 isn't worth your families life than buy several gallons of Bleach, and learn how to use it to disinfect water. It isn't hard and it isn't expensive but it will only endure until your bleach gives out.

3. Storing water is a pussies game as you will outlive your stocks in a few weeks.
I agree that water storage alone won't do you much good for long term but it can be valuable for a short term weather event or in the early stages of a long term event.
I keep 30-40 gallons of well water in 5 gallon jugs to use for toilet flushing and other sanitary use. Also a bunch of spring water (in rotation) for drinking/cooking. That's enough to hold me through for short term or give me time to set up for long term with rain collection in food grade drums and IBC tote. I have everything here that I need to to put that system into action. For that water, rather than Berkley I have colloidal silver impregnated, activated charcoal filled ceramic filters for potable water. I got mine from Homespun Environmental. Much less expensive than Berkley and I believe every bit as effective. I just have to drill a couple holes in food grade buckets I already have to set them up.

I also have a 1600gal cistern I can put back into action within a day, complete with manual pitcher pump. It's currently full. That water will be treated for use in flushing, cleaning, washing, etc. I hear bleach doesn't have a great shelf life so I keep plenty of calcium hypochlotite on hand to kill any nasties.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree with MR on this one. Water storage is critical in short term emergencies. Life during a short-term grid down even is way, way easier when you don't have to deal with collecting and purifying water. I've been there and done that and it is nothing but work. I have a 2500 gallon storage tank and plan on building a steel water tower platform 20' in the air this summer to add another tank above my one that sits on the ground. I will then have gravity flow to all my household faucets. Filters are great and an important part of any long-term plan, but fresh water on demand with or without electricity saves a ton of human energy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts