Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I am rather new and I am somewhat overwhelmed. For right all I am focused on is starting some basic prep you know for a 2 weeks snow storm or whatever a SHTF moment (I guess thats the common phase to call it)

What I have now is 4 gallons of water storage (I really want to buy one of thoes life straws if not 2 or 3 of them!!!!!)
A solar/crank weather radio with flashlight
some basic food supply to keep my belly full for a week or so. could be eaten without power
and some stockpile of H&B items.

say I only 50 bucks to invest in a few more things what would you suggest I get 1st?

I was thinking of getting a few 5 gallon water jugs though are they freezer safe? It be great to store them outside in my garage other than that I'm not sure maybe a beginners book recommendation may be helpful idk just thought id ask thanks

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
1) I would say about $20 with research and a little driving will score you a 55 gallon barrel you can use for safe water storage; water is second only to air in terms of survival - you only get a few days without it.

2) The other $30 or what is left I'd stock up on bulk rice and beans for now; that dollar figure can get you enough of those to keep your belly full a long time. You'd be amazed at how far a can of soup would go when you have a solid rice supply.

WIth the budget you present don't feel bad - there were times I didn't have that to spend each month. I would not waste money on books right now; you can find what you need to learn online.

·
Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
It sounds like you're first priority is to prep for a short term natural disaster where you lose power for up to 2 weeks, which isn't a bad place to start. I am also assuming that you aren't planning to go anywhere.

Since you said you want to be able to hang in there for 2 weeks and only have 1 week of food, that's an obvious place to start.

Candles, a Coleman-type lantern, and some fuel for it would be worth considering, as would a small camp stove that runs on the same fuel. The lantern and stove are for outside use, of course. The stove would expand your food choices. A battery powered lantern or 2 would also be good to have.

A lifestraw is good if your bugging out, but probably not your highest priority in your situation. If water is coming out of your tap, you could probably drink it. If no water is coming out, you will be relying on stored water anyway. Consider putting a few 2 liter bottles of water in your freezer. Leave a little room for the ice to expand when it freezes. These will keep your freezer cold for days when the power goes out, and you can always drink the water too if needed. You can treat water with bleach, iodine, or by boiling, but this doesn't remove chemicals. This shouldn't be a problem with melted snow or rainwater you have collected.

A basic first aid kit is good to have. Include some sort of burn ointment, aspirin or ibuprofen, and triple antibiotic cream with a painkiller.

You might also consider getting a small solar charger for your phone. It's good to stay connected. And hey, if your phone service is out, you can always pass the time playing games.

Don't forget to stock up on toilet paper!

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I live in an apartment that is rather small so a 55 gallon drum of water won't work. Also I do live rather close to a good size river 1.6Miles to a public park easement. 4,500 ft in a rather direct distance. Also a few good sized ponds next to a rural park so there is water easily accessable during winter it's Minnesota so plenty of snow I think the main think I need to focus on is figuring out the best way to sanitize it so it's safe to drink. I do have a bike I and a few backpacks I could fit 2 gallons in them pretty easy I think. For me I drink TONS of water so a gallon drinking water a day is realistic if not more. I might try to store 14 gallons of water (2 gallons a day) and work on getting the best filters ect ect.

1st aid I will have to get a few things there I'm pretty tough I work outside a lot and tons of scrapes and bumps and I rarely use 1st aid but I guess it couldn't hurt. oh and toilet paper I do have a nice stock pile going not sure if I can expand on that and let it sit in my garage as there may be mice there but other than that... Whats the best way to cook rice without electricity? I not a fan of canned soup but I'm gonna try it with some rice I have a electric rice cooker and I love it also I have 10lbs of rice right now so it's more than 2 weeks worth!

I do have family in two different areas one about 30min drive the other 1-2hour drive if SHTF epic event does ever happen I could always stay there though they are not preppers they have some type of stock pile... maybe I could store an extra 20lb bag of rice in my car... idk I'm still kinda not stable enough to be a "real preper" but if I have enough to get me through a 2 week event I'm happy anything longer I guess I could stay with family but I would have a nice big bag of food (25lb bag of rice) to help carry my way... would that 25lbs last long for a family of 4?

·
Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
If you will be drinking from a river or pond, the LifeStraw is looking better. I would still store what I could in 2 liter bottles anyway.

You won't starve to death in 2 weeks. Food for that duration is more of a comfort item. Rice is pretty worthless unless you can cook it. A small camp stove or even a small charcoal grill and a bag or 2 of charcoal is really all you need. As I said, you won't starve in 2 weeks, but don't underestimate the moral boost of a good hot meal. By the way, white rice stores better than brown rice.

If you change your buying habits, you can actually spend less on food and still maintain adequate stocks. Buy bigger packages of the food you eat anyway. When something is on sale, buy enough to last you until it goes on sale again. This way, you can spend less and have more.

Prepping is a gradual thing. Pick up what you can when you can and just keep building your reserves.

If your family has room and you plan on bugging out to them, ask if you can store some stuff there. Maybe they will catch the prepper bug and start stockpiling too. :)

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
If your apartment has a bath tub, water storage there is an obvious start. Should let you store about 50 gallons of h20. Food is your next bet and while rice and beans are a great option they both take heat and h20 to prep. You didn't say how many were in your party. However a winter snow storm and a loss of power is going to bring staying warm right to the top of the list.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Well it's always easier to spend your money than mine :). Based on the new info

Month one $50
Emergency Water Kit
Plus you have money for 5 gallon buckets you need for this and to obtain water, and still money left over for 10-20 lbs of rice

Month two $50
Coleman One Burner Stove - Walmart.com
Plus you have money for beans and at least two extra fuel canisters for this.

Be sure to add some chlorine or bleach to your stores to treat water and not just filter it. You can spend under $5 on that,

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I agree with above, get your water figured out first, you cannot live without it. I was going to mention the bath tub, fill it up and that is easily 2 weeks of water.

For a 2 week plan food is optional, is you are 10-20 lbs overweight you can easily make it for 2 weeks without food, I would plan on being hungry and getting more water storage. If you are skinny as a rail, then rice and beans are good choices, you can soak either for a day and eat the, cold if you have to.

If you are thinking more than 2 weeks look into a fishing pole and a 12 ga shotgun both for defense and taking game.

So as for spending money I would suggest working on a bug out bag which give you the ability to get the hell out of dodge.

Reactions: Renec

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with above, get your water figured out first, you cannot live without it. I was going to mention the bath tub, fill it up and that is easily 2 weeks of water.

For a 2 week plan food is optional, is you are 10-20 lbs overweight you can easily make it for 2 weeks without food, I would plan on being hungry and getting more water storage. If you are skinny as a rail, then rice and beans are good choices, you can soak either for a day and eat the, cold if you have to.

If you are thinking more than 2 weeks look into a fishing pole and a 12 ga shotgun both for defense and taking game.

So as for spending money I would suggest working on a bug out bag which give you the ability to get the hell out of dodge.
ok thanks yea for now I'm a bit overweight but I still couldn't imagine going 2 weeks without food! haha so if you soak rice in water for a day it will be as if you "cook" it? I'm not a good hunter but I will look into more about fishing and how to clean a fish but for now I think I will stock up on a few soup cans and some more rawmen noodles plus my water and water filtration. I'm mostly concerned with being able to handel a power outage for up to a week anything longer than that I don't think I would stay here at my apartment complex not sure it would be the best place there is a grocery store near by (only 2 in town) and if there selfs ever went empty I don't think I would want to be in town still...

A bug out bag I will have to search youtube for some basics on what that is... I do have a fear of gas and I don't I want to use a gun for my personal reasons I don't believe in harming others but being able to find a secure spot and well hidden supplies is more my style ;) Thanks for the tips so far I have some work to do in the next few weeks.

Also in regards to keeping warm I do have some extra blankets and a lot of clothes that can be used to keep my warm I do have a small dog but she likes to hide under the covers to stay warm anyways plus I always have a few winter coats in my car and around my apartment too. Though some extra boots and warm socks might be a good idea! that and some extra hand warmers now that I think about it... Like I said Im not able to do a full end of the world prep but I think if I was able to do some basic 2 weeks prepping I would have a lot less nervious ness about being able to provide for myself. I been rather uneasy ever since I heard that most grocery stores have such a small inventory of food that such minor events could really bring chaos. I don't need 5 star foods just somthing basic like rice and soup mix to keep my belly full and happy enough to be OK.

Thanks for the advice everyone I got my work cut out now haha :)

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh and how is filling up a bathtub gonna work??? if the power does go out there is not really time to fill it up I know people in Hurcaine areas fill it up b4 the hurcaine hits but idk it dosent seem like a dependable option if the water is turned off before you can fill it up it's a good tip if you can fill it up before somthing happens but I won't put it into my plan because I can't rely on it as a dependable option.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Very Excellent questions, And you are already winning the battle, by just thinking ahead and being mentally consiuos of prepping. Sounds like the water issue is under control especially if you get a "water straw" or similar, but, also It is "almost free" right now, so having a small stash even in an apartment, with your intake you should be able to keep/rotate quite a bit. Me, I seldomly drink water, I know, Its bad that I dont..But..
Also, to point out, Like you stated about being nicked and cut, yes I too am nicked up and scratched up, but were living sanitary conditions, In a bad situation, a hot shower and soap are gonna be a luxury, so for sure, collect yourself a medicine kit. Doesnt have to be elaborate, You can always add to anything you have.
For food, I have stopped stocking ramen at this time, yes its cheap and filling, but for an immediate event, I would live of my peanut butter and jerky for awhile.
I have ordered some of the "C- bars" from quake care, and will documant the taste and content as soon as possible.
Good luck with everything, and always always always, feel free to ask questions.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
If you have a hot water heater in your apartment, which most do, unless you're on a main system like hotels, there's your water and probably a good 30 gallons or more. And it's clean. Just make sure you turn off the inlet valve as soon as you can to prevent any contaminants getting in, in case the water supply gets compromised. You just need a short length of hose (like a garden hose), maybe 3 or 4 feet to get the water out. There's a drain valve at the bottom.

As far as cooking rice, it's real easy;

1 pot
1 cup of water for each cup of rice (2 cups of rice makes a lot of rice for one person), maybe a pinch more than a cup on the water.
Put the rice in the pot, add the water. I don't rinse the rice because rinsing it washes away the nutrients/vitamins sprayed on it (fortified).
Bring it to a rolling boil. Once it has a sustained boil going, turn the heat down to a medium and continue to cook.
The rice is done when it's "fluffy" and the water is "gone".
It takes about 20 minutes to make a 4 cup pot of rice.
Be sure to leave the lid on except to check it.
Once you've turned the heat down, wait about 5 minutes and you can even crack the lid to help let the steam escape if you like a dryer rice. I like mine a little moist.

My wife is Pacific Islander so we eat a lot of rice. Got tired of buying those automated rice cookers - $$$$ - (which don't do any good if the electricity is out) so we went to the pot method. It works, it's easy. Just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
oh and how is filling up a bathtub gonna work??? if the power does go out there is not really time to fill it up I know people in Hurcaine areas fill it up b4 the hurcaine hits but idk it dosent seem like a dependable option if the water is turned off before you can fill it up it's a good tip if you can fill it up before somthing happens but I won't put it into my plan because I can't rely on it as a dependable option.
A LOT of public systems use a water tower which pumps the water above the homes with a low pressure pump and the gravity from the tower feeds the homes. 1 foot of water drop is almost 1/2 PSI so a 50 foot tower will give you 25PSI water at your tap.

If the SHTF the tower will still have water in it and you can draw from that until the power goes out. Unless a EMP hits the power shortly after the SHTF will still be on and you can fill you tub, better safe than sorry, when you hear of riots in the street, fill you tub.

Oh and yes you can eat beans and rice soaked for a day with little problem without cooking them. You can also soak wheat or any small kernel grain and eat them as well, often called wheat berries.

Corn is hard to do this with as it is so large and dense, but SHTF I would suggest corn alcohol, your won't regret it. hehe.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I broke it down to "3"..3 days,3 weeks,3 months.3 days is my GTFObag..it contains everything I need for that time duration.If i'm in the situation where i'm caught away from home..i'll need at least 3 days to carefully work my way back.3 weeks is the duration we'd say at our current location (natural disaster type situation)...3 weeks of water,food etc for the house. 3 months is If the SHTF bightime (government collapse,EMP,what-have-you)..then it's time to get outta Dodge and head for an out of the way location and hunker down,listen to the radio and see where this is gonna lead.I've got the first two covered..still working on part three!
As for fishing? I've been a freshwater fisherman my entire life..so I'll pass this along as my Pop passed it along to me... small shiney hooks go a long way to catching Sunfish and Bluegills..some braided line and a little time,you'll have plenty of fish..trot lines work nicely as well..but you'll need bait. The shiney hook trick got me plenty of small "sunnies" when I was a 5 yr old sitting next to my Pop as he fished for Largemouth Bass...I think he spent more time tossing back my sunnies than he did anything else!

Reactions: Montana Rancher

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts