Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently work in the medical field and I wonder what people are willing to barter for different procedures or checkups. Would a home operating room, ER room, and ICU make sense? Would this reduce the chance of being a target due to the knowledge I have / what I offer? If so could I somehow set up a mini-hospital of some sorts due to the lower likelihood of raids? Or would the medical supplies themselves make me a target over the ability to use them correctly? I could also travel to the client's location for treatment but that would expose me.

Ex. Yearly Checkups for milk (I don't plan on getting cows due to the limited space I have)

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Supplies= target.

My brother is an GPMD, wife an OR nurse, we have plenty of non perishable OR and general supplies stored.

Much is stored in freezers, injectables cooled down to 34 F.

Can set up a surplus military field surgical suite if needed.

Already have a lab to do assorted Hemo and Bio test.

There is no outside knowledge of what we have, things will be to cater to ourselves and our group.

·
Banned
Staying alive
515 Posts
Your best bet would be to join a group of "like minded" people. Most groups are hesitant to let people in unless they have something they can contribute to the community. A person with medical expertise is something every group should have and they are a lot more difficult to find than say something like a carpenter.

And yes to answer your question, on your own you would definitely be a target if people knew you had medical supplies. In a SHTF scenario there will be a lot of desperate people. And most of those people aren't as "prepared" as many around here. So they may not necessarily have anything to trade or may not want to give anything up.

Reactions: JebbyNuLL

·
Super Moderator
9,072 Posts
I am a retired paramedic and have a little knowledge I can share. I also have a fair amount of supplies.
Would I barter for my knowledge, probably not. But at the same token, I would only offere my services
to those I already know and trust. Having a stranger come to my BOL, I think not. Going to someone
elses location, I think not. Not for one hell of a long time, the time it takes the riff raff to disappear.
Too much of a chance of being taken captive or having all my supplies ripped off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, I'll probably still set up the mini-hospital with labs and supplies ... just not for strangers :tango_face_wink:.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
That is our approach, keep it in the family so to speak.

It took to long to accumulate everything just to blow it on strangers, plus loss of OPSEC.

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
Knowledge and expertise is power. You have to be careful though. Being I a group that this is what you offer is ideal. Otherwise it is very risky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts