Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the thread about precious metals people keep talking about bartering items. I know this has been discussed before, however we have new people.

What items do you currently have that you could use for bartering other than precious metals?
What items would you not consider using for bartering and why?

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,620 Posts
Pick a human vice. Acquire the thing that satiates it.
That will become more valuable than water to someone.

Alcohol
Coffee
Tobacco
Battery power banks
Toilet paper

A very strange feeling will arise in each person when they have to actually ask themselves, "Do I consume this to satisfy myself, or trade it for a necessity?"
Not really something we've had to think of when it comes to an actual currency. You can't eat your money. There's an abstraction we play with where we give money away in order to consume something in return. But in that case, the thing we trade doesn't go away. It just goes to someone else, who will turn around and trade it again.
But with alcohol, gulp gulp... and it's gone.

There are arguments against using ammunition as a trading medium. I do not hold this view. In a world in which we are bartering for survival, every single person will walk around armed. You won't be able to get away with loading up a round you received in trade, and then kill the person with whom you just traded. You'd be dead in 3 steps. The cartridge will become as easy to trade as coins are, assuming they can still be manufactured while being consumed. That's a whole different topic...
If trading full cartridges doesn't sit well with you, trade in components. Bullet tips and brass can work just as well. There will absolutely be folks out there willing to take it.

Skills will be another big trade commodity. Being service fulfilling value to your local community will ensure you always have folks to trade with.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know this has been discussed before, however we have new people.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to these questions.
We need a specification of what is planned.
  • What kind of threats or crises are we trying to survive?
  • Or is it an economic crisis, gangs of marauders, natural disasters, man-made disasters?
  • Are you supposed to be in a combat zone?
  • How long do we plan to barter?
  • What is the exact climate zone?
  • Is it a city, suburb, countryside or sparsely populated area?
  • Who is the local population?
There are many questions.
For example, the answers will be different for the Balkans, Russia and the post-Soviet space, the Caucasus, Central Africa, Latin America and so on...
Everywhere you can find something in common, but was there a question about that?

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I thought each person would answer for what they are prepping for, their location and the type of area they live in. For example I live in the mountains and winters get very cold. A few things I have for barter are coats, blankets and shoes.

We all prep for what we think is most likely to happen. So let us know what your situation is and what you would barter with. Maybe we can learn from each other.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
After paying attention to what our society is into today, I say in all seriousness....

Cookies, any kind.
Snacks, any kind.
Carbonated beverages, any kind.
Marijuana
Opioids

If any young survive, they wouldn't know what to do with any cooking ingredients or pots and pans....flour, yeast, etc, etc...

Barter for what will get you the most in return.
Trade a bag of Doritos for a gallon of gas.

Reactions: Histati and Auntie

·
Administrator
15,096 Posts
We live rurally. Off any main roads.
There will be no people wandering past. If there are, they will be encouraged to keep going.
With my neighbors I will "barter" knowledge, skills, and firepower if needed.

Even today, living on a dead end dirt road, our two gates fronting the road stay chained and locked shut 24/7/365 whether we are home or not.
I invite no one in for social purposes, in fact I am anti-social. So is my wife.

·
Administrator
15,096 Posts
Everyone in our immediate area, and that covers small parts of two states, are self sufficient types.
Especially the old timers, who were raised by those who experienced the Great Depression and then World War Two.

I first really began to notice this in the grocery stores during the Obama years. People "putting back for hard times."
Things like canning supplies. Staples like flour, sugar, salt. Canned goods by the case. Rice by the 25 pound and larger bags. My wife would make it a point to engage the women in conversation, to get an idea of the mood. Black or white, didn't make a difference about why they were buying.
I doubt if the Trump years changed anyone's habits.

As an example of our area, each of the small towns nearby only have one grocery store each - not counting Dollar Generals. That is how small the populations are, only enough to support one grocery store.
Our closest town has one stop light and two gas stations.

I fully expect my neighbors to be like us, food and supplies squared away.

Today, I do barter with several friends. When they help me, with electrical work or whatever, they always get farm fresh eggs. Most will not accept cash, but are glad for the eggs.

Reactions: Histati and Auntie

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well then here's the general picture with some problems (not all items in the order of importance).

In Russia and in the post-Soviet space, the danger represent economic crises, violation of logistics, coups and struggle for power, which develop into local wars.
In such a chaos, control of potentially dangerous objects weakens.
Therefore, special types of dangers and demand for special goods are possible.
The constant component of threats to life is a climate that does not allow to do without warm shoes and clothing.

Heated houses and shelters are needed.
It is necessary to know and understand how to handle underwear and clothing with a lack of detergents and warm water.
In places of cluster of people, camps temporarily displaced persons, the appearance of lice becomes the problem in the combat zone.
This requires special containers for heat treatment of underwear and outerwear.

Footwear is difficult to make and it is priceless.
High-quality and warm shoes and demi-season shoes of common sizes is always a good exchange fund.
Need shoes with lacing, high waterproof boots, footwraps (fabric strips from fleece, flannel, cotton) for high waterproof boots.
For shoes, footwraps, socks and underwear some are ready to sell the soul.

Tactical belts and unloading vests in the combat zone becomes currency on which you can exchange a lot of valuable.

We need fairly cheap water filtration, folding containers, buckets, hoses, manual pumps.

Cheap respiratory protection tools, disposable chemically resistant poncho hooded, safety glasses.

About ethanol 95% (food or medical) I have already spoke somewhere.
It is necessary as an antiseptic, for easy disinfection of suspicious water, as a fuel for an alcohol stove, as a light pain reliever with light surgical operations, well, for those who want to drink it to dilute water to taste.

The reserves of medicines that are in demand and is crammed for a long time.
Bandages, sterile gauze napkins, dressings (very much).
When a man carries a backpack and walks a lot in shoes, then skin blasting occur. Need baby powder or talc.

Razors, blades, scissors, tweezers, scalpels, syringes.

Sticky tape (very much), plastic bags of all sizes, rubber gloves (sterile and ordinary), ropes, fishing bags, construction bags, wire, plastic screeds of different sizes.

Lighters will be needed (disposable and reusable with accessories), matches and cigarettes.

Spare flasks for kerosene lamps.

Chargers, adapters, accumulators of popular sizes.

It will be necessary to high-calorie food that does not require cooking.

·
Super Moderator
9,490 Posts
I don't care who you are or where you live. It's not humanly possible to cover every need. There will be a need for barter.

One can barter skills for skills or items for items, or any combination there of. Bartering will become a way of life when things settle down. Just don't think you won't need it because you will. Something will break, you'll say damn, why didn't I remember that or why didn't I think of that. Something will come up that you never would have considered before.

As to human addiction items like alcohol, you'll only be inviting trouble unless you brew/distill/make your own. Even then the addicts can run out of barter items and still demand what you have. I intend to avoid that one.

·
Registered
Keystone 610
35 Posts
Having some extra preps set aside for bartering is a smart thing to do. I have a collection of small liquor bottles, tobacco vape liquid, lighters, salt and sugar. I also have a garden that can produce veggies and fruit. This is my first year gardening so I’m just figuring out how to make things grow let alone have a surplus to trade.

I try to look at prepping as going back in time, right now I’m tuned into how people lived in the 20’s

The problem with bartering is that you have something I need but I don’t have something you want or vice versa.

The idea of a local currency looks appealing. One of the problems with this is that someone prints off funny money with no value to back it up. My thought experiment is that you have a note backed up by copper and aluminum.

·
Super Moderator
9,490 Posts
Having some extra preps set aside for bartering is a smart thing to do. I have a collection of small liquor bottles, tobacco vape liquid, lighters, salt and sugar. I also have a garden that can produce veggies and fruit. This is my first year gardening so I’m just figuring out how to make things grow let alone have a surplus to trade.

I try to look at prepping as going back in time, right now I’m tuned into how people lived in the 20’s

The problem with bartering is that you have something I need but I don’t have something you want or vice versa.

The idea of a local currency looks appealing. One of the problems with this is that someone prints off funny money with no value to back it up. My thought experiment is that you have a note backed up by copper and aluminum.
At some point there will be a new currency. A number of states have taken steps to create their own, JIC.

If a person is reasonable then things can be worked out. By the time we hit that point, I'm betting most of the unreasonable will be gone.

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe that setting up bartering now will be helpful. I currently barter with people for fruit, veggies I don't grow, services such as electrical work. I exchange my canned goods, breads I bake, honey and home made brown sugar.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You can add eternal values to the list like toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs for women.
Sometimes in pharmacies are sold ready-made cheap glasses with already inserted glasses and different diopters.
Do I need to say that it will be very necessary for some?
Kevlar (aramid) shoelaces (different lengths) for boots.
Many replaceable neckscarfs or tissue for undercollars for hygiene and to protect the neck from scuffs with a debt wearing overalls.
You can have fabric reserves that you use and can be exchanged if necessary.
Goods who sold merchants 150-200 years ago begin to be in demand again during crises and wars.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have some brand new denim pants, booze, seeds, different herbal remedies and medical knowledge.

Reactions: Auntie

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Wifey says save the last bullet. Once life gets so bad that we have to barter socks just shoot me.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
There are arguments against using ammunition as a trading medium. I do not hold this view. In a world in which we are bartering for survival, every single person will walk around armed.
My Thoughts also.

if somebody has x and I need it.. i will gladly give them an amount of ammo that i think is fair for it

chances are great that a drunk would try to steal from you before a person getting ammo.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,620 Posts
I take a different tact. I have purchased ammo and stored it specifically for barter. It's all common calibers, but not anything I shoot.
We don't often get along, so I want to preface this question by stating I hold no pre-text concerning your statement.
This isn't a trick. I come with honest curiosity. I have a suspicion that your reasoning is something I've never considered.

Why do you choose bartering ammo which you cannot shoot?

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
.....Why do you choose bartering ammo which you cannot shoot?
It has no other purpose for me. I don't own anything that shoots those calibers. So it's not like I'm loosing any ability to take game, defend something/someone etc.

Every once in a while (at least up until 2020), I'd see a good deal on some caliber I don't use, but it's too good of a deal. Like 380. I don't have anything chambered in 380, but it's a common size. So I spent the money solely to use it as barter. This way, I'm not using MY ammo for barter.

Some might say I could barter something for a boomstick that would take those calibers. But I'm sufficiently armed that after SHTF, I don't see myself acquiring any more toys. The only way I foresee myself adding to my collection is taking them off the bodies.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts