Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about 4 charcoal briskets and a small container of lighter fluid in a double zip lock bag?
There is your next 4 fire starters. Might even toss in a bic lighter.

when I go camping to start the camp fire I just light some charcoal and put the fire wood on top

Where is the proper place to post a thread for new bartering ideas?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
You know I never thought about that bright idea...a charcoal briquette as a fire starter. That would work great for those wet and rainy camping trips where you need a little something more than some dry tender to get a fire going. Sometimes some of the simplist ideas are some of the best! Thanks for sharing that golden nugget of info!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The fastest fire starters are pieces of road flares. Cut a road flare into four equal pieces. Only one will have the "strike anywhere" starter on it and you have to keep them dry (wax dipping is good) but they burn very hot and for 5 minutes each. More than enough time to get your fire going.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Yeah with the phenominal temperatures that flares burn with, I will bet it does make one hell of a fire starter to be sure. But man do I like the cheapness of a bag of charcoal, a can of lighter fluid and a match! When Lowes had a sale going on 2 x 20 lbs bags for the price of one...I bought a galvanized trash can, 6 bags of charcoal and filled that can up! And all this time I thought they were just good for BBQing...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think cotton balls saturated with petroleum jelly is one of the best homemade fire starters, those trick birthday candles that you can't blow out is also very good. The road flares is also a good extreme fire starter in fact they make some flares for that very reason. When weight is a priority Esbit solid fuel cubes is also very good plus they work in the Esbit folding stoves.

I am not to keen on carrying lighter fluid as it is prone to leaking and will evaporate.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts

Reminded me of this video. Also, I do carry A 2 foot peice of 1/4 tubing in my gear, just for stoking fire without having to get my face directly in the pit.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I usually carry a few small tealight candles, which make great fire starters. You can get 100 of them for less than 8 bucks, and they would make a good barter item too.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Won't the lighter fluid or petroleum jelly eat through the plastic bags?

·
Banned
148 Posts
Duraflame fire logs work great for starting camping fires. Just cut the logs up into sections. You can get quite a few camp fairs started with one log.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Not sure about the lighter fluid (Does seem like it would though right?), but I've had Vaseline soaked cotton balls in a zip lock bag in my pack for at least two years now... Pulled them out yesterday. The bag was fine, and they lit up and burnt just like the day I made them.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think cotton balls saturated with petroleum jelly is one of the best homemade fire starters, those trick birthday candles that you can't blow out is also very good. The road flares is also a good extreme fire starter in fact they make some flares for that very reason. When weight is a priority Esbit solid fuel cubes is also very good plus they work in the Esbit folding stoves.

I am not to keen on carrying lighter fluid as it is prone to leaking and will evaporate.
Would almost certainly destroy everything else in your pack and the pack its self. That stuffs PRETTY corrosive.

The charcoal bricket and bic lighter idea seems solid. Just leave the fluid at home.

Zippo lighters are a complete fail. If they lay on their side or are ever turned upside down they leak like a sieve, and won't light again after only a few hours without being re-filled.

Worth a little test. I'll lay it on top a ziploc bag and check back on it in a few hours to see if it lights, and if the fluid eats the bag.
View attachment 3124

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Thought so, thanks.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking that the lighter fluid would be in some sort of small container-- Can't be that hard to figure out what kind of container

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
As a "post" SHTF bartering item I'm sure it'd rock. Unfortunately as a "pre" SHTF bartering item the anti capitalist will yell at you for trying to make a buck.

How about 4 charcoal briskets and a small container of lighter fluid in a double zip lock bag?
There is your next 4 fire starters. Might even toss in a bic lighter.

when I go camping to start the camp fire I just light some charcoal and put the fire wood on top

Where is the proper place to post a thread for new bartering ideas?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I use a map gas self igniting torch for starting fires.

As for bartering, you can only trade to a willing participant.

If you are trying a trade with me and mine your charcoal idea will go no where until the matches and lighters I have stored are gone.

If you get down to a point where you seriously need to barter four chunks of charcoal, when you see the other guy kill him. He is in a desperate situation. When you are demonstrating your charcoal lighting technique, he will slit you from ear to ear and take what you have for booty.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I use a map gas self igniting torch for starting fires.

As for bartering, you can only trade to a willing participant.

If you are trying a trade with me and mine your charcoal idea will go no where until the matches and lighters I have stored are gone.

If you get down to a point where you seriously need to barter four chunks of charcoal, when you see the other guy kill him. He is in a desperate situation. When you are demonstrating your charcoal lighting technique, he will slit you from ear to ear and take what you have for booty.
I guess we all prep in different ways. I have my food and water and firearms and I'm hopping what I need.
But I'm also putting stuff back for trading. You say you have matches and lighters? Maybe we can work something out.
I have canned chicken, Toilet paper, Powered milk, How many extra lighters and matches you got?
Maybe we can help each other,,

1 - 20 of 35 Posts