Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
We had a couple bald eagles watching us get ready to shoot some trap in a burned out jack pine area yesterday. Once they figured we weren't gonna shoot any game they could steal, they flew off back home.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Haven't seen mine since we shot the Garand last Saturday. Must have spooked them as I usually shoot suppressed.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
My son in law and daughter came up to the new place and helped me fence the back half. Son in law and I had to drive the 30 miles to K Falls to get some stuff. As we were driving in he saw his first Bald Eagle ever. By the time we got to town he said "They are about as common as pigeons in San Francisco". so he started calling them "K Falls Pigeons".

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This one greeted us this afternoon when I headed over to feed catfish. Let me get on dock before it flew to a nearby tree.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just an update, because these birds totally fascinate me. All year, I see at least one on most days. They always hang out on or above my catfish pond. I think they figured out that small pond is loaded with fish. Yesterday morning, when headed down to the horses, from far away I saw one sitting on a log, like in the picture above, but could see something else under it. It was big & white. As I got closer, driving my Gator, it kept flapping its wings but couldn't lift off. Turns out it had just caught a really big catfish... one so big it couldn't lift it. I'd guess that catfish was in the 25-30 lb range. It didn't fly off as I got closer but just kept reaching down & eating it. After a bit it flew off. This morning, when I went down, both adult eagles were down there & they had that fish carcass on the levee. As I was leaving the horse barn, I looked up and both flew right over me. I guess simple pleasures for a simple mind. :)

I can't figure out how they continue to catch big catfish this time of year. It was below freezing yesterday morning and has been cool for weeks. The water has cooled so that the catfish won't come up to feed in the afternoon. They mostly go dormant when the water gets that cool. I assumed the catfish just hung around the bottom, as catfish mostly do. So how are the eagles catching them now? I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just an update, because these birds totally fascinate me. All year, I see at least one on most days. They always hang out on or above my catfish pond. I think they figured out that small pond is loaded with fish. Yesterday morning, when headed down to the horses, from far away I saw one sitting on a log, like in the picture above, but could see something else under it. It was big & white. As I got closer, driving my Gator, it kept flapping its wings but couldn't lift off. Turns out it had just caught a really big catfish... one so big it couldn't lift it. I'd guess that catfish was in the 25-30 lb range. It didn't fly off as I got closer but just kept reaching down & eating it. After a bit it flew off. This morning, when I went down, both adult eagles were down there & they had that fish carcass on the levee. As I was leaving the horse barn, I looked up and both flew right over me. I guess simple pleasures for a simple mind. :)

I can't figure out how they continue to catch big catfish this time of year. It was below freezing yesterday morning and has been cool for weeks. The water has cooled so that the catfish won't come up to feed in the afternoon. They mostly go dormant when the water gets that cool. I assumed the catfish just hung around the bottom, as catfish mostly do. So how are the eagles catching them now? I can't figure it out.
Scuba gear! Cold weather scuba gear...You must have missed them changing out of it! :)

We see them around our property as well. Found 1 rear hindquarter of a rabbit the other day on the property. My wife saw one in our field eating a rabbit...

index.jpg

Peace,
Michael J.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Scuba gear! Cold weather scuba gear...You must have missed them changing out of it! :)

We see them around our property as well. Found 1 rear hindquarter of a rabbit the other day on the property. My wife saw one in our field eating a rabbit...
I've noticed after they eat their fill, they normally hang around in a nearby tree. I assume they are guarding it, because with something big, like a 30 lb catfish, it takes them several days to eat it.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
The golden eagle at work.

We have lots of Bald Eagles out here in Wyoming. If you want to see a really HUGE eagle, we have the Golden Eagle. They are larger than the Bald eagles. They take deer fawns and domestic lambs easily, and fly off with them.

Reactions: 65mustang
21 - 28 of 28 Posts