Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting started on putting my BOB together and I am debating on two different bags (I will provide links for both on the bottom of this post), one has a pouch for a bladder the other doesn't. both are around $50, I'm kind of torn. I am a bigger guy(6'2" around 280) I want a waist strap for easier carrying. If I do end up going with the one without a bladder pouch can I buy a camelback and wear it under my pack without worrying if it will burst?

Army ACU Large 45L Rio Grande Hiking Tactical Military Backpack Camping | eBay
OR
OD Army Green Tactical Military Style Assault Pack Backpack w MOLLE Medic | eBay

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I've never tried it, but i would be worried that the weight of the pack would pressurize the water and make it leak. I also would wonder how comfortable it would be to stack up shoulder straps like that. Bottom line: I would look for a pack with a bladder pocket.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
For the size your interested in I'd suggest taking a look at Maxpedition's "Gear Slinger". Check out some of the video's on Youtube. It has a place you can add a camel back if you want, or you can use that pouch nicely for other stuff.

Personally I don't like Camelbacks because having the hose there will lead to sub-conscious sipping. First few times I spent a day carrying a pack with the hose I came back half sick and bloated from all the water I had drank! When I told a friend about it who sells equipment and he laughed and told me it was common, and didn't recommend people use the things for that exact reason. It's just to easy, it's right there, and without thinking about it you find yourself sipping on it till you've about busted and the thing is dry! :D

I tried using it again a few times down the road and ended up giving it away to my daughter who ended up not using it for the same reason I did without me even telling her! :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That bag is a little out of my price range and I've never liked the one strap packs I've tried them before and I just wasn't that comfortable wearing them. I never really thought of continually sipping on the hose, I will definitely have to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I never understand why people want to shop so much off Ebay instead of buying from a reliable online dealer with a professional, secure website. Even Amazon has excellent backpack choices. While I also think the Gear Slingers aren't a good BOB choice having one myself, the Maxpedition gear is well worth the money in the quality of it's build. It's worth not scrimping on your bag as much as possible. Your going to be relying on it to carry what could save your life time after time. Would you buy a home made from cheap materials from a Chinese manufacturer put together as quickly as possible? If yes, than buy the bag, if no, than look further. Know what your buying by the reviews it's gotten by other people if you don't know it's quality firsthand. Amazon has lots of that too.

As far as the bladder issue goes, I've always found them more convenient for hydrating on the move, but don't ever limit myself to just them as a water carrier. I've seen them punctured and ripped. I carry a usgi canteen and canteen cup besides in pouch. It's better for camp based drinking use and the canteen I use for cooking also. It's near perfect for a one person sized soup maker and I'm not a small guy at 6'4" 250lbs. I think by the reviews I might risk using the Condor bags if I could not wait to afford Maxpedition, Camelbak, Eagle or Blackhawk gear as my budget allowed but a sewing kit to repair the pack as needed would be a first line priority. I carry one anyways, but have never had a Max bag fail me with being a Maxpedition customer for over a decade and putting them through hard use.

Amazon.com: condor backpack

Amazon.com: canteen cup

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I never understand why people want to shop so much off Ebay instead of buying from a reliable online dealer with a professional, secure website. Even Amazon has excellent backpack choices.
Cause even though I insist on quality kit. I'm a CHEAP "cherry picker" (what salesmen call people who will shop around for a deal every time instead of having store loyalty)!

I've got several hundred feedbacks on Ebay from purchases made. Only ever once had a problem, and Paypal refunded my money.

Before I buy anything I shop in at least three places online to compare prices. Amazon, Ebay, and walmart.com. RARELY does anybody beat one of those three. But it does happen. So I shop around with google to! :D Yep, CHEAP BAS(#$(! :D Still get the quality stuff I want, but at the best deal possible.

NOTE: Two weeks ago my credit card info got stolen from a previous purchase from walmart!!! My bank immediatly canceled the card, and refunded the stolen money. But DO NOT GIVE WALMART YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO!!! They accept paypal now to.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have the second bag you linked to and I am a bigger guy also. 6'4 about 300 and you are going to hate it. it does not ride right, the straps move alot. I will say that it carrys alot, I have turned it into my range bag for when I go shooting but it does not distribute the weight good at all. Its good for about the first 20 minutes and that is it.

For a man of your size I would recomend something like this, I have one and love it. It is a ajustable and solid as a rock. I have a 48 to 50 inch waist depending on the day and the waist belt rides nice on my hips, it distributes the weight really well. the down side is holds alot so it is very tempting to overload it.

Just my 2 cents.

Gen 2 MARPAT Tan Woodland ILBE Main Pack and Assault Pack Arcyteryx Good | eBay

·
Registered
574 Posts
if your looking for a bag that doesnt cost much id recommend you get comfortable being uncomfortable but otherwise check out mystery ranch or snug pack ive used both and they are both well made and carry nicely plus most camelbacks can be converted to a molle system so you can attach it where ever you like.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was issued a Camelback and found myself with the same problem. Not bloated but not rationing water the way I should have. Mounted on a gun with nothing to do made it easy to sip. It is currently in my closet and not part of my B.O.B.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Cause even though I insist on quality kit. I'm a CHEAP "cherry picker" (what salesmen call people who will shop around for a deal every time instead of having store loyalty)!

I've got several hundred feedbacks on Ebay from purchases made. Only ever once had a problem, and Paypal refunded my money.

Before I buy anything I shop in at least three places online to compare prices. Amazon, Ebay, and walmart.com. RARELY does anybody beat one of those three. But it does happen. So I shop around with google to! :D Yep, CHEAP BAS(#$(! :D Still get the quality stuff I want, but at the best deal possible.

NOTE: Two weeks ago my credit card info got stolen from a previous purchase from walmart!!! My bank immediatly canceled the card, and refunded the stolen money. But DO NOT GIVE WALMART YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO!!! They accept paypal now to.
If it works for you. You know what you're buying though and do research for the best price. I do too, but don't mess with Ebay anymore and stick to regular dealers if I have a problem.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have two USGI variants of the camel back. One is a stand alone, if necessary, unit and one is designed to work with my MLBE and Assault pack set up. I also have one I use when off road motorcycle riding and/or bicycle riding.

Do I use them? I just receiced two new 3L bladders for back up.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Just to note TAPS50. I had a Maxpedition Condor II for a long time which that second pack is a copy of. Even though the pocket layout is great and I loved the Maxpedition Condor II a lot, it just did not fit me well. It was too small and we're close in size, though I'm obviously much more muscular and better looking.:mrgreen: I had to get rid of it though because I was just too tired of the fit and pain over the miles of hiking regardless of how much I liked it.

OD Army Green Tactical Military Style Assault Pack Backpack w MOLLE Medic | eBay

I now use a Max Vulture II for a B.O.B. and it fits me well and should fit you pretty also I'd think. :smile:

Maxpedition Vulture-II Three 3 Day Assault Pack Tactical Backpack 72 Hour Ruck

0514K6_detail.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First off I want to thank everyone for there help. I believe I have made my choice and it happens to be none of the two I started out thinking I was going to choose lol. I am going to go with the bag below, I figure if its good enough for our Marines it should be good enough for me and I figure if I don't like it for $50, it will at least give me something to put my gear in quickly I case something does happen soon. If I don't like it down the road I can always up grade, but for me cheap is the way to go until I can get the rest of my gear. thanks again for all your help.

USMC Gen2 MOLLE Digital Woodland Camo MARPAT ILBE Main Pack w Harness 8 | eBay

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Not a bad price, but note that it does not seem to have the belt and you will want that once you hit about 30 lbs of load out. They are built to last, but a bit on the heavy side compared to civilian kits. Shouldn't be a problem at your age!

If after you receive it you find it's kind of funky/dingy/nasty, cleaning it is easy enough. When you mom isn't around, fill your bathtub part way and add some simple green. Let it soak then hand wash it, then drain the tub and then soak in clean water. You will probably need to repeat the process a time or two.

All of them seem to come with a bit of "moon dust". Before you wash it it's a good idea to remove all the tape the previous user applied to secure excess strapping, but pay attention to what the did and how they did it. Very useful to redo.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
No offense Rigged, but I don't think I'd use Simple Green myself. It could be dangerous to the material and most nylon gear manufacturers suggest simply using basic soap and water. I always use liquid dish soap and water, soaking it and hand scrubbing my stuff when it gets real dirty. You need to be careful with chemicals. I used Simple Green all the time on my issue weapons back in the Army to clean weapons that didn't need to be cleaned anymore because they needed to keep soldiers active while command pulled their heads out their ass, but I'd never use it on a weapon now. That level of oil and carbon removal isn't a plus for weapons life. A lot of things the military does isn't smart, but that's another thread in itself.

·
Registered
634 Posts
First off I want to thank everyone for there help. I believe I have made my choice and it happens to be none of the two I started out thinking I was going to choose lol. I am going to go with the bag below, I figure if its good enough for our Marines it should be good enough for me and I figure if I don't like it for $50, it will at least give me something to put my gear in quickly I case something does happen soon. If I don't like it down the road I can always up grade, but for me cheap is the way to go until I can get the rest of my gear. thanks again for all your help.

USMC Gen2 MOLLE Digital Woodland Camo MARPAT ILBE Main Pack w Harness 8 | eBay
Same bag I have exept the one you are getting looks like it is missing the lid. I would HIGHLY recomend you get the lid for it.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
I have the three litre acu molle 2 camelbak, with a water bag gotten on ebay for about $7, the camelbak itself came used as a bonus with the molle II ruck I got.. the pack is useful both as a bag carrier and as a very light daypack depending on how much water is in the thing. it can fit a big 2 litre pop bottle. or more.

I just put this video together to go into more detail why I endorse the acudigital molle II modular light weight camelbak

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
No offense Rigged, but I don't think I'd use Simple Green myself. It could be dangerous to the material and most nylon gear manufacturers suggest simply using basic soap and water. I always use liquid dish soap and water, soaking it and hand scrubbing my stuff when it gets real dirty. You need to be careful with chemicals. I used Simple Green all the time on my issue weapons back in the Army to clean weapons that didn't need to be cleaned anymore because they needed to keep soldiers active while command pulled their heads out their ass, but I'd never use it on a weapon now. That level of oil and carbon removal isn't a plus for weapons life. A lot of things the military does isn't smart, but that's another thread in itself.
Ya, I agree it's not a recommended "all the time" cleaner, but when these puppies come out of the depot after being put away in a packed tight 4x4x4 box they can come out really funky. I tried Dawn in warm water the first time I tried to clean mine, and it just didn't cut it so I went for a one time Simple Green deep cleaning.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a medium ALICE pack... It's tough to find them with frames, so I snagged one off ebay a few months ago... It seems to work just fine for me.

Now I'm trying to figure out a "bug home bag" incase I'm left out of my apartment when it's time to leave... the BHB will stay in the car when I'm around town and help me get to my BOB which will remain at home unless I'm on a big trip.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a medium ALICE pack... It's tough to find them with frames, so I snagged one off ebay a few months ago... It seems to work just fine for me.

Now I'm trying to figure out a "bug home bag" incase I'm left out of my apartment when it's time to leave... the BHB will stay in the car when I'm around town and help me get to my BOB which will remain at home unless I'm on a big trip.
I picked up the exact same thing a couple years ago and still use it as one of my BOB options. Nice because you can get all kinds of different parts and accessories off Ebay CHEAP! Seems like most of the veterans who carried these in the service HATE them "because the racks are uncomfortable". I've carried mine a few miles through the woods on a couple trips and loved the thing because it's external rack keeps the pack away from your back enough that you don't sweat at all like with "normal" packs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts