Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bag Balm

I've used Bag Balm for 30 years to treat cuts, lips, hemeroids, cracked hands, feet, and of course teats.

A 4x4 inch can costs about $10 and will last for a year easy treating all your ailments. If you don't have a can you might want to consider it.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
That's what my Grandpa used. Before that, when he was a kid, he would sit on the fence and wait for one the cows to pee. Said they did it with such force it would dig a hole that was full of cow urine. He would then go over and stand in it. Said it was instant relief from his cracked/itchy feet. Bag Balm is way less gross.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Urine is a good way to treat foot fungus problems like Athletes Foot and others. Let it dry in place and it will cure the problem. I don't know if it would work for trench foot but I would think so - it is after all a fungal infection.

Corn huskers is another good one for damaged skin.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I read yesterday that tea tree oil is also a great anti fungal/anti inflammatory/basic wonder drug. I was trying to remember the bag balm with the idea that the two could be combined.

·
Registered
285 Posts
We keep a small container of Bag Balm in the trucks, in the kitchen, in the barns, and of course in the medicine cabinet. Good stuff. We have used it for many years.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I don't think I've ever tried the product after all these years. I know my mom used to use it, but I never did. I get really dry hands regularly that crack at times. I think mostly from constantly washing my hands throughout the day, the soaps I have to use, and the hot weather. I use eucerin these days which works pretty well, but I'm open to seeing how this is.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Have had it for years. Carry a couple small tubes in the vehicles. Also works well on dog pads - won't hurt them if they lick it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They say that the urine can also help in curing sweaty feet and hands beside from its other benefits. When we visited our grand parents in the rural area, my grand father thought me how to use the Bag Balm. That was interesting to know.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I don't really want an answer to this but ... did he demonstrate on the cow or grandma? ;)

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bag Balm is even used as part of the standard patient care kit in some of the nursing homes I have patients in. I have a myriad of nurses who swear by it for all kinds of skin ailments AND it is far less expensive than many of those 'medically approved' ointments on the market.

·
Banned
20,845 Posts
Bag Balm=Versatile Prep Item. Introduced to it in TX back in the 80's by my boss at the time, an old farmer who swore by it. Great suggestion Montana Rancher!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't think I've ever tried the product after all these years. I know my mom used to use it, but I never did. I get really dry hands regularly that crack at times. I think mostly from constantly washing my hands throughout the day, the soaps I have to use, and the hot weather. I use eucerin these days which works pretty well, but I'm open to seeing how this is.
Fuzzee bag balm is in my bathroom as well as outside in the animal sheds. It is a great way to heal up skin infections and heal chapped dry skin in both animals and ourselves. My hands are put through a lot especially this time of year because of the cold weather. Taking care of animals in the wet cold is no picnic for your skin, but also as a nurse I am washing my hands several times every hours or using alcohol based sanitizers that dry out my skin. No lotion can compare with using bag balm. Don't really like the smell but it works wonders.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts