·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: acidlittle

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I was just reading that on Fox News. Fundamentally, they couldn't get enough steam in ALL of the individual states, so they attacked the entire thing, as you said, using the EPA against us. Such measures never got off the ground in my state. The interesting part of all this is that lead is a naturally occurring element in the environment. That's how we're able to mine it.

Now that this is happening, we will almost certainly see a significant rise in the cost of lead. This measure is nothing more than the governments attempt at severely regulating gun owners and their ability to shoot. Can't get the guns, go after the projectile. Then they'll go after our ability to reload (manufacture ammunition); Think NATO Small Arms Treaty. They will regulate materials through prohibition, licensing, tracking and monitoring, declaring even the most trivial items as 'Hazardous". I suspect that the cost of Casting Dies will rise in this as well.

Ammunition itself will skyrocket in cost, more so than it already has. The price of copper will skyrocket and as it stated in the article I read, lead to increases in the cost of building houses (wiring) and basically anything that uses copper. It's a lose lose all the way around. Obama shithead ****er and his cronies could not seize our guns in a toe to toe match, so they have run an end around play against us. And I don't think we ever saw it coming.

Reactions: Arizona Infidel

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I never liked casting my own bullets - guess that's why I bought so many of them and stocked up. I know this story came out a week or so ago, but it hasn't seem to resonated in any big deal in ammo prices, components or anything else - YET - of course.

California is in a bent on rifles / shotguns over 50 years old. The folks there only have 13 more days to trade em without the grubbynutt fees. Starting 01/01/14 all firearms have to go through $ealer.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I knew they were shutting down the last lead smelter in the US at the end of the year. So far my research into the matter indicates to me that, while unfortunate it will barely be a blip on the availability of lead for commercially made bullets. Since most lead used for commercial bullet making comes from recycled lead and very little comes from newly smelted lead.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We use to added about 2% zinc to the lead tire weights when casting ball with it

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The interesting part of all this is that lead is a naturally occurring element in the environment. That's how we're able to mine it.
The Hippies and Libs must love me! I use only 100% Hormone Free, Organic , Free Range Lead in my bullets!

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I knew they were shutting down the last lead smelter in the US at the end of the year. So far my research into the matter indicates to me that, while unfortunate it will barely be a blip on the availability of lead for commercially made bullets. Since most lead used for commercial bullet making comes from recycled lead and very little comes from newly smelted lead.
Well that's good news. I guess. But someone is going to have to smelt the lead that eventually becomes recycled lead. Or, we can just tell 'em that all the lead is for fishing weights. Amazing how a lead object sitting in the water, gets no consideration. I guess when the criminals start doing drive-by castings and someone gets hurt with a sinker, that will be next.

Reactions: hayden

·
Registered
598 Posts
Several ammo makers have come out saying this will have no effect on them as they use recycled lead in their bullets as they don't need the lead to be as pure as electronics do. However people who want "clean" lead will just buy it from china, like everything else.

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
172 Posts
Several ammo makers have come out saying this will have no effect on them as they use recycled lead in their bullets as they don't need the lead to be as pure as electronics do. However people who want "clean" lead will just buy it from china, like everything else.
It comes in the form of paint, eating utensils, and cookware...

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Could be hard to import if it gets banned by the EPA or taxed til hell won't have it. But I said this when this first came out about shutting down that plant. Bullets will become a controlled item soon, lead or otherwise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One potential problem I'm concerned about is with each passing year, the number of states that are banning/restricting lead in hunting ammo is growing. I think (IIRC) its more than 22 or 24 states now. How long will it be before states start mandating no lead in ammo at all (not just hunting put ranges, etc.) which will make manufacturers switch to something different (which I believe would be copper), copper prices would go way up and then everything from new home wiring to ammo would have the associated costs passed onto the consumers.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
All the laws have to go through your legislators so start writing those letters and let them know that there is no substitute for lead unless they want us using "cop killer" solid copper and brass bullets. There is a provision in place in the California law that if they decide the copper bullets are a danger to law enforcement that they will allow lead back on the market.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I never liked casting my own bullets - guess that's why I bought so many of them and stocked up. I know this story came out a week or so ago, but it hasn't seem to resonated in any big deal in ammo prices, components or anything else - YET - of course.

California is in a bent on rifles / shotguns over 50 years old. The folks there only have 13 more days to trade em without the grubbynutt fees. Starting 01/01/14 all firearms have to go through $ealer.
all firearms have to go through a dealer as it is here. the 50 + yr old can go cash and carry only if you have a curio permit.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
All I can say is when the Chinese invade the will be coming ashore in California - and they will be stuck there. They won't be able to get ammunition or replacement parts for their guns. The surrounding states will keep them in place until the next big earthquake and they will make tracks back home after that.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
The deal with ammo truly makes me believe in conspiracy theories because after the supposed huge ammo purchases by DHS, our shelves look as bare as the shelves in Wal-mart. We didn't take delivery of any ammo and we are just about out. The manufactures are not meeting demands and their response is, "nothing to see here, move along move along." What hell is really going on?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
All the laws have to go through your legislators so start writing those letters and let them know that there is no substitute for lead unless they want us using "cop killer" solid copper and brass bullets. There is a provision in place in the California law that if they decide the copper bullets are a danger to law enforcement that they will allow lead back on the market.
The key word in your post is "laws", but congress doesn't have much say over regulations made by the EPA, IRS, BATF on just about anything at any time or most other government agencies that can make regulations. And to me I put zero trust in congress to protect my rights but have full faith they will stomp all over any rights they want.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
You have to watch out now, lead weights are disappearing and zinc is used in its place. A little zinc will really screw up your alloy.
Been there done that, I've gotten pretty good at spotting Zinc and FE, I also toss out the weights that for lack of a better description I call mystery metal, if I can't tell for sure what metal they are then they go in the discards along with the Zinc and FE.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts