Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on another forum too and am looking for responses. I've been a 9mm user for several years and recently bought a 40 cal since most LEA has now adopted this round. However, after only having my S&W SD 40 VE for a week, it had to go in for repair or replacement. I don't know if I'm turned off by the bad experience or if I'm over reacting. I enjoyed shooting it, and I don't have a problem handling the larger round. But I'm thinking of trading it in when I get it back and getting the M&P 9. I've been reading a lot of 9 vs 40 threads on the net and opinions are all over the place. Would like to hear others thoughts and if anyone has decided to return to the 9 only, instead of maintaining both calibers. Thanks.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
I use neither, though I recently shot a S&W SD40 and was really impressed. If it felt comfortable, if it was natural shooting for you, do not get turned off by the weapon having to go in for an unexpected repair. Such things happen with all manufacturers and all models. S&W is a good company.

Are you a cop, is there a reason for you to chase the LEA's trends?

·
Super Moderator
9,674 Posts
Posted this on another forum too and am looking for responses. I've been a 9mm user for several years and recently bought a 40 cal since most LEA has now adopted this round. However, after only having my S&W SD 40 VE for a week, it had to go in for repair or replacement. I don't know if I'm turned off by the bad experience or if I'm over reacting. I enjoyed shooting it, and I don't have a problem handling the larger round. But I'm thinking of trading it in when I get it back and getting the M&P 9. I've been reading a lot of 9 vs 40 threads on the net and opinions are all over the place. Would like to hear others thoughts and if anyone has decided to return to the 9 only, instead of maintaining both calibers. Thanks.
My favorite is a 45 ACP. That being said, I recently bought a Sig Sauer 9mm. It jammed every 2nd or 3rd round. Instead of getting rid of it, I tried to figure out what was wrong and fix it. So far, a 150 rounds later, I think I fixed it. This happens. If you just don't like a 40, I understand but S&W makes a decent gun. I would not get rid of it for something that could be an easy fix.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use neither, though I recently shot a S&W SD40 and was really impressed. If it felt comfortable, if it was natural shooting for you, do not get turned off by the weapon having to go in for an unexpected repair. Such things happen with all manufacturers and all models. S&W is a good company.

Are you a cop, is there a reason for you to chase the LEA's trends?
Thanks for the reply. Back when I was a reserve police officer, I carried a 9. I was thinking more along the lines though that because of the capability of the 40 is the reason for buying into the caliber. If I was in LE, I'm sure I'd be carrying a 40 as all the deputies I work with now as a firefighter carry 40 cal. In the Army we had the 9mm so I've stayed with that round since it's all I've really known. Would love a 1911 .45 but can't justify it yet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My favorite is a 45 ACP. That being said, I recently bought a Sig Sauer 9mm. It jammed every 2nd or 3rd round. Instead of getting rid of it, I tried to figure out what was wrong and fix it. So far, a 150 rounds later, I think I fixed it. This happens. If you just don't like a 40, I understand but S&W makes a decent gun. I would not get rid of it for something that could be an easy fix.
I've always respected the S&W name, they make fantastic firearms. Once I get the gun back, I'll take it to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through it and see how it goes. I bought this gun for my CC, and need it to function if "God forbid" I ever need it. It does feel good in the hand and am planning on buying my wife the SD 9 for her CC.

·
Super Moderator
9,674 Posts
I've always respected the S&W name, they make fantastic firearms. Once I get the gun back, I'll take it to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through it and see how it goes. I bought this gun for my CC, and need it to function if "God forbid" I ever need it. It does feel good in the hand and am planning on buying my wife the SD 9 for her CC.
Got my 9 for 2 reasons, cc and the price was extremely right. Got it on sale.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Got my 9 for 2 reasons, cc and the price was extremely right. Got it on sale.
HOOAH! Nothing like a sale.

We always seem to fall back on familiarity. The 1911 .45 ACP was the army's sidearm when I was in. They were just getting the 92F when I was getting out. They decided to make us like the rest of NATO. I thought that was about a stupid idea, who cares, huh?

My joint is now strewn with .45s. I'll be going shopping with the wife in a bit, and the Taurus MilPro .45 will be on my hip in a paddle holster with a light coat over it.
Go for what you know. I used to be anti-this and that, but, at the end of the day, a feller is better off with a comfortable 9mm than with an unfamiliar .45 ACP. The only thing that makes me nervous about the .40 caliber is the government buying up so much ammo. Not knowing enough, I don't know if that could put a hurt on me trying to buy it, one day.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fortunately I've been finding the shelves stocked locally with plenty of 40. Also not having a problem finding it online yet. 9mm is still plentiful and cheap. But yes, with the recent purchase of over a billion 40 cal rounds by the government, it may become hard to find. Also, I know the Marines just purchased over 20,000 .45's. I've also noticed some SWAT members are also carrying the .45. There may be a resurgence in the purchase and use of the .45. IDK, I think I'm over thinking things about having to purchase yet another round to have on hand. I S&W does feel really good in my hands and is very manageable. My Ruger P89 also is comfortable but is rather large and built like a tank. I've had the Ruger for years and expect it to last my lifetime and then some since it's so "over engineered".

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
40 is an ok caliber As far ad the weapon failure it happens S&W is a fine weapon they will fix it. The 40 for a while was a riding start but soon faded .Rounds are generally more available and cheaper for that reason.
No reason not to have more than 1 caliber around.
The P series Ruger are not built like a tank they are a tank, that will be a round long after we are gone.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What was it jamming with? And the new magazines Sig is providing leave a lot to be desired , try the old style "zipper-backs" or Mec-Gar mags. If it's jamming the first few out of the mag then they'll likely solve the problem.

In addition keep in mind that sigs as a general rule like to run 'wet". Which extractor do you have?

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
The guy who bought my Bersa 380, let me shoot his XDM 45 C today. It was a mistake to shoot it without my Ears on, and to shoot it period. It recoils less than my New To Me LC9 and I can hit what I aim at with the XDM and it's smaller.

Ammo cost does not matter since I can roll my own now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well I just wanted to say why buy a glock clone? S&W has been plagued by their Sigma for years and years which is an outright clone of a Glock. This newer model is basically another clone of a glock. When another company clone someone else's product it usually are never as good as the original. (think about all the research and development and testing data that Glock has that S&W dont have but yet still attempt to clone a Glock)

Dont get me wrong I love S&W but I would stay away from their clone products.

I personally stick to the 9mm. Because of the capacity. My reasoning at the same with you when choosing the 9mm. Plus having another caliber meant that you dont have to stock up another type of caliber. As a prepper I like to have my firearms that uses the same ammo.

IN regards to shortages, I dont think it will ever happen. Walmart is so stock it is a miracle, most LGS are also fully stocked and so I dont think there is an actual shortage like that of early 2009.

I am not going to convince you as to what to do but I think the M&P40 is a better product than there S&W SD 40 VE. Dunno if you can exchange it. Or maybe go back to 9 mm just cuz you seems to already had a bunch of firearms that take that caliber. Also with all your experience and background with the 9mm maybe just stick with what you know best. If it aint broken dont try fix it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The P series Ruger are not built like a tank they are a tank, that will be a round long after we are gone.
This is so true, For some reason I kept buying P series Ruger. They shoot so straight it is rediculous. Some people think I am nuts buying the same model and caliber guns. But Hey If I find a gun that I like, I like to have spares of the same gun. hehehehe

·
Super Moderator
9,674 Posts
What was it jamming with? And the new magazines Sig is providing leave a lot to be desired , try the old style "zipper-backs" or Mec-Gar mags. If it's jamming the first few out of the mag then they'll likely solve the problem.

In addition keep in mind that sigs as a general rule like to run 'wet". Which extractor do you have?
I tried running it wet 1st. That didn't work. It's not the extractor, it's jamming on the intake. I have the stock mag, I have not bought any extra yet. I did polish the ramp and so far that seems to be working. I will know more after this afternoon. I am leaving for the range shortly.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I tried running it wet 1st. That didn't work. It's not the extractor, it's jamming on the intake. I have the stock mag, I have not bought any extra yet. I did polish the ramp and so far that seems to be working. I will know more after this afternoon. I am leaving for the range shortly.
150 rounds and fine now. You probably got it then with polishing the feed ramp. Small burs and rough or protruding casing edges can be the downfall of even the best reputation guns. Nothings perfect and especially machines that come off a line. For mags,

Sig Sauer Mags

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm a .45ACP/1911 fan boy that has only recently accepted .40S&W. I really see no reason to step down to 9mm at all. When the same bullet design is compared between 9mm, .40, and .45, 9mm is always the smallest, .45 is always the biggest, and it's up to the individual to decide if the advantage in individual round stopping power is worth giving up a few rounds. For me, .40 and .45 do the job nicely.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Handguns are like taterchips, can't stop at one. I have carried a 1911/.45 for a long time and loved it. Then the USMC went to the 9mm and I thought it was a pop gun. I have put more rounds than I can count through a Glock 23 in .40 . Even though I didn't want to like eather the gun or the caliber I will admit bouth are good choices.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts