Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should your B.O.G. be loaded in magazine, or unloaded.

Both of mine are unloaded at this time, and installed in my B O V 's

I have spare magazines so I'm thinking of loading one, nothing in the chamber.

The only reason I had them unloaded was in case I had a malty beverage, but they're not locked in a case designed for a gun anyway.

My actual carry guns are just pull the trigger DAO , full mag +1

·
Registered
640 Posts
Well... let's compare preparation to real world. Some PD's require officers to NOT keep a round in the chamber... and they have to take the extra time after drawing a weapon to chamber it. It means they have increased risk... or have to draw early to be prepared. My organization requires that we keep a round chambered, and the weapon safety on, if it has one. I can draw and shoot in one motion.

So... let's compare it to your BOB. I keep loaded weapons in the house... and will grab them with the BOB when I go. The ones in my BOB have loaded magazines or clips but are not inserted. That is because I may need to drop the BOB and use the weapon I have on me and I don't want any misfires from inside the BOB when I drop it. But... I want to be able to quickly grab a weapon from my BOB and have it ready. I don't want to have to stop and grab a box of ammo or some speedloaders and load the weapon before I can use it.

Reactions: acidlittle

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure my 1935 - 37 build date H&R Sportsman 9 shot 22 doesn't have a transfer bar safety, so I'll carry that on an empty cylinder. It's new to me today .

The time needed to round up the ammo and mags may prove to be a killer

I'll load up a mag and insert it in the mag well. All it will take it a rack of the slide to load. It won't fire that way since a BOB is subject to rough treatment

My G19 is 15+1, with 2 -16 round reloads. The LCP is 6+1, with 2 6 round reloads.

All these are registered to me in my fine state of Michigan so I don't care if the internet knows I have them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some PD's require officers to NOT keep a round in the chamber... and they have to take the extra time after drawing a weapon to chamber it.
In 25 years of Law Enforcement (both federal and local) I have never heard of any agency requiring an officer to not carry a round in their handgun. Now it's common procedure to have an empty chamber in your shotgun and rifle prior to deploying it, but again I've never heard of anyone doing that with a handgun. I am a firearms instructor and have traveled though out the US and Europe while visiting with many agencies and haven't run across this policy, although I have heard second hand that they do this in Israel but cannot verify this to be true. I would be interested in learning the names of any US departments that require this procedure as I would like to follow up with them regarding this. Thanks for the "heads up" on this.

·
Registered
280 Posts
And let's take this scenario.......

"The only reason I had them unloaded was in case I had a malty beverage,"---AquaHull

Are you REALLY ready and responsible ??????
Can you handle the protection level you place on yourself ?

Don't drink and drive........we all get it, right ?

You are at Thanksgiving dinner.....big family gathering.
Very nice neighborhood.
Many of you hangin' out...visiting, yapping', sharing,......
drinkin' a little red wine...maybe a beer or two......

Couple of punks bust in the front door, armed, to rob
the unsuspecting rich folks......easy prey they think.......

You have had a glass or two.......

What do you do now ?

Oh no...guns and alcohol....never.
We see it all the time on forums......

What camp are you in....
in this scenario ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I for one don't like the idea of a backup gun anywhere else but on my person. If you get robbed for your bob our your bov gets commandeered, you are left without.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I only keep them loaded when I can reach them or they are locked up and safe, I do not keep loaded firearms in my car unless I'm carrying it on my person. I do this because if somebody steals your car then they also have YOUR defense system, which they could use to hurt somebody else. If I am forced to go inside a place and leave my gun in my car, I have a safe in my car for it and i will pull out the barrel so it is, for the moment, inert. If I was running around with my BOB on the gun would be loaded and on my hip.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Mine is on me most of the time it is loaded and one in the chamber.
If you have a modern firearm that has not been jacked with carried properly it is perfectly safe to to carry it that way.
An unload gun is a bad rock you have a weapon to shoot if need be, if it is not loaded you will be the one shot and not have a gun anymore.
My Bug out bag has a real weapon in it not a hand gun

·
Registered
206 Posts
Loaded, with one in the pipe. I'm just too superstitious not to quite honestly. I would be paranoid that I would need the thing and not remember that there wasn't one in the pipe - heck I used to have nightmares, back in the day, about pulling the trigger and it not going boom.

So yeah, I think the only way to carry anything is loaded with one in the pipe.

·
Registered
280 Posts
"My Bug out bag has a real weapon in it not a hand gun"---smitty901

Please explain......I don't follow.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
"My Bug out bag has a real weapon in it not a hand gun"---smitty901

Please explain......I don't follow.
Rifle all a hand gun is for is to get you a route to a Gun

·
Registered
280 Posts
Rifle all a hand gun is for is to get you a route to a Gun
You don't shoot a handgun well ?
Can't hit with it?

Hmmm......great advice for others.......

Oh, I missed what you meant......
you meant a 'real' gun ?

Must be a big bag too.....
to fit a rifle.

·
Registered
921 Posts
B.O.Gun in your B.O.B.

A Barack Obama gun in my Bug Out Bag? I don't think so. ::rambo::

·
Registered
4 Posts
to fit a rifle.
I have an every day carry of a compact Beretta PX4 Storm. In the Get Home Bag there is 2 additional microcompact Beretta Px4 Storms. All use the same clips and same ammo.

Had a Sub 2000, but didn't much care for it. The rifles all all at home, until I can figure out a way to store/conceal my SU-16 in the vehicle. But it won't go in the GHB.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You don't shoot a handgun well ?
Can't hit with it?

Hmmm......great advice for others.......

Oh, I missed what you meant......
you meant a 'real' gun ?

to fit a rifle.
I'm quite sure he's a hell of a shot with a sidearm, but in a fire fight, the weapon controlling the battlefield is the rifle. If you have to draw your sidearm, you're prolly making your way to your rifle, or just ran out of rifle ammo...

punch

·
Registered
296 Posts
In a SHTF scenario, I will quickly have a leather holstered 9mm , 17+1 on my left hip, a .45 acp 9+1 on my right hip, a 7.62 battle rifle 40+1 , on a single point sling, and a .22 pistol for small game,10+1 in my BOB, along with as much ammo as I can carry comfortably , along with my basics. But my BOB is 75 lbs. on an Alaskan Guide model pack. I train with it on difficult steep terrain, so I am used to the weight.
What kind of 9mm are you packing?

To the OP. . . I keep all of mine loaded but as you most know its a very small collection at the moment :(

I like my vest a LOT

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
My bug out bag as a 22LR conversion kit for a 1911 in it along with 200 rounds of 22LR
and just one empty 22LR magazine, I don't fill the magazine or keep it filled to keep the
spring strong for when needed.

The 1911 I would take with me has a loaded magazine in it, but not one in the chamber.
In the bug out bag are two 9mm magazines not loaded and 100 rounds of 9mm. So I'd
have to bug out with 109 rounds of 9mm and 200 rounds of 22LR - this is a recent update
as I use to carry a brick of 22LR but don't any longer - keeping the weight down.

Also most 22LR conversions for the 1911 are made to work with 45's. If you have a 9mm
1911 as I do it may take some special work on the feeder to make it work - I had a lot of
issues and have a gun smith buddy that tweaked my Kimber 1911/9 and the Kimber 22LR
conversion kit into working.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts