Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after a lot of thought and research this is what I came up with for a bug out bag list. Now not all item's will be used by everyone but this gives a pretty good idea of what you could/should have in your bug out bag. If anyone can think of things to add or take away please feel free to leave a comment. A lot of items in the Miscellaneous category could have gone else where but I got tired of working on it. Spent the last 2 hours on setting up the list as it is.

Clothes
Change of clothes
Hat
Hiking boots
Long johns
Socks
Sun glasses
Sweater
Toque/Blaclava/ Fur hat
Underwear
Winter gloves/mits
Wool socks (x2 pair)
Work gloves

Fire starter
Cotton balls (soaked in Vaseline)
Disposable lighter
Dry tinder
Flint/Magnesium fire starter
Matches
Steel Wool & 9v battery

First aid
After bite
Allergy relief
Antibiotics
Anti-diarrhea medication
Antiseptic wipes
Bandage wraps
Bandages
Benadryll
Burn cream
Butterfly sutures
Cotton balls
Decongestants
Eye patches
Eye wash cup
Gauze pads
Imodium
Iodine tablets
Latex/surgical gloves
Lip balm
Medical tape
Neosporin
New skin (liquid bandage)
Q-tips
Quick-clot
Saline nasal spray
Surgical blades
Tampons/Maxi pads
Zincofax

Food/food procurement
Beef Jerky
Candy bars
Canned fish
Condiments
Energy bars (3000 calories)
Fishing kit (line, lures, jigs, weights, reel, floats, etc)
Fishing rod (ice fishing length)
Granola bars
Instant oatmeal
MRE's
Snare wire

Hygiene
Baby wipes
Condensed hand towels
Dental floss
Deodorant (non-scented)
File
Hand sanitizer
Hygiene kit (comb, toothbrush, shaving cream, razor, toothpaste)
Nail clippers
Soap
Toilet paper
Toothpicks
Tweezers

Manuals
Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
First aid manual
SAS survival guide

Medications
Gold bond powder
Multi-vitamins
Tylenol/Advil
Vitamin C

Miscellaneous
550 paracord
Aluminum foil (about 5 feet folded)
Batteries
Binoculars
Bug repellent
Camp axe
Can opener
Carpenter pencils
Cash & coins
Chain link for fish
Condoms
Crank light (red)
Dust masks
Emergency/important contacts list
E-tool
Fanny pack
Fire starter
First aid kit
Fluorescent trail marker tape
Foam sleeping mat
Garbage bags
Gill net
Hand axe
Handheld CB radio
Headlamp
Heating pads
Hose
Identification card
Mosquito repellant
Multi tool
Needles
Night Vision Sight
Oxo cubes
Para cord
Pocket saw
Portable mini stove
Rubber bands
Rubber covered monocular
Safety pins
Safety whistle
Seeds
Sewing kit
Signal mirror
Soups
Spare shoe laces
Sunscreen
Tape
Tea bags
Vaseline
Waterproof container
Weather radio with flashlight
Whetstone
Zip lock bags
Zip ties

Self defense
100+ rounds for each firearm
Ammo belt pouch
Arrows
Cleaning kit
Gas mask
Knife (x2)
Knife sharpener
Pepper spray
Sling shot and ammo
Survival knife

Shelter
GI poncho liner
Mosquito head/body net
Rain poncho
Sleeping bag
Tarp
Tent
Thermal blanket
Wool blanket

Survival
Compass
Emergency Candles
Emergency foil blanket
Emergency radio
Glow sticks
Map (laminated)

Water
3 Gallon Water Container
Aluminum bottle
Aluminum Cup
Canteen
Coffee filters
Collapsible water container
Water filter
Water purification tablets

·
Registered
105 Posts
That bag must weigh a ton! Just a suggestion but you might save some weight. You seem to have two axes and a hand saw, which seems like a lot of extra weight. Have you tried your kit out? I just read a blog article about experimenting with your bug out kit. It has some good suggestions for making the most out of your dry run.

Preparedness Ponderings: Practice Makes Perfect

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Holy crap, +1 to it weighing a ton. About half way through my back starting hurting just thinking about it. By all means buy the stuff if you think you need it. And pack it. Than put on your pack and see how far you can walk with it. My moneys on not far. Just for starters I'd say wind down on your fire starters. If you've got fire steel, Vaseline soaked cotton balls, and a couple Bic's your pretty well covered. You don't need to carry tinder besides unless your in some place it's very hard to come by, but than so should wood for a fire. After all you can whip out the knife and shave branches for tinder if there's nothing else. Split them and break them down into small pieces, throw on a Vaso ball, light it and go from there. The steel wool and 9Volt are too heavy for there benefit. You'd get more from carrying an extra firesteel.

Than do you really need all that allergy medicine and stuff like decongestants. Even the wound care can be winded down to a Adventures med pack with Quickclot. There a great compact kit for size and weight savings.

Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Packwith QuikClot: Health & Personal Care

Forget most everything in a can as that's way too heavy compared to other choices like freeze dried food or MRE individual packets stripped down. If you've got 550, you've got snare material besides what you can find naturally. An E-tool is super heavy and big unless you absolutely need it to dig with where you can't use a stick or even an aluminum plate or pan you'd also cook with. You shouldn't need the extra first aid book with either survival manual. Learning and having knowledge before hand is best though. There's so much in that list it's making my head spin. 3 gallons of water just made me cry. I'll stop there. Good luck. :cry:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Sorry for the long post, I have a list of my current BOB, I keep it to remind myself what I put where and to occasionally check it because I often forget what all I have in it.

In my area there is a LOT of water and so I don't spend as much time as most would worrying about purifying it. For weapons I have a .45 Glock and a 870 Remington shotgun. I don't plan on anyone seeing me but if I should get in a firefight my only plan is to fire and disengage. A 12 ga. spewing .38 caliber bb's should get them to duck enough so I can run away.

Total weight 34 pounds (wet) with the shotgun being 8.3 pounds of that which I have a scabbard for but plan to carry, that leaves a 26 pound pack which I believe I can carry 15 miles a night with relative ease. In most cases 15 miles will get me home.

Bug out bag Inventory

Voodoo Tactical black bug out bag

Attached to outside of case:
Side Kick pistol holster on belt. Glock 36 in .45 Caliber.
Streamlight ProTac HL 600 lumen flashlight (high, low and strobe functions)
Multi Tool (Snap on) on belt.
12" Heavy Knife and case with 1200 grit diamond sharpener.
Neoprene binocular sock (attached to the chest strap)
Zeiss T*P* 8x30 Binoculars with Crooked Horn Outfitters Bino Harness.
Lensatic M29 Military Compass
Military issue ear plug container
Voodoo Tactical Shotgun Case, Remington 12ga 870 Express Magnum with Pistol Grip
(Loaded with 6 Rounds 00 Buck)

1st Compartment
2 Liter Hydration Bladder
Vacuumed packed rag wool gloves and 1 pair heavy wool socks

2nd Compartment (largest)
Vacuumed packed long underwear and briefs (1)
Vacuumed packed trail mix (peanuts, almonds, cashews, raisins, M&M) 3lbs.
Note Pad, 1 Bic pen, 1 Sharpie
Army Issue Bible
Black Fleece Watch Cap
8 x Duracell AAA Batteries
2x Duracell CR123 Batteries
Dyno Kwick Pick lock picking tool
Sunglass repair tool with screws
Spool of military issue snare/trip wire
Bottle of water purification tablets
Quart sized bag with 2 large black garbage can bags inside.

Quart sized zip lock with:
6 pkgs Tums powder
2 tubes Chapstick
1 Package gum
Toothbrush and paste
Wine cork (char for face paint)
Camp soap concentrate
Fingernail clipper and tweezers
1/2 oz Break Free CLP (gun clean/lube) individually wrapped
1.25 fluid ounces of Ben's insect repellent with Deet (individually wrapped)
12 x 8" zip ties
6 x premoistened lens cleaning cloths.
Talcum powder

Quart sized zip lock with:
6 x Mini hand warmers
1 pack Glacier Gel blister and burn dressings
1 pack Adventure Kits Moleskin precut blister dressings.
1 sterile suture kit 2-0 needle
12 Alcohol swabs.
3.5 inch mosquito curved forceps
Small EMT scissors

Quart size zip lock with:
Gun silicone cloth
Roll of cotton athletic tape
Roll of electrical tape
50' of 550 paracord
Several dental picks
Bandaids (various)
5 box knife blades in a holder
30 Ibuprofen

Quart size zip lock with
5 home made fire starter blocks vacuumed packed with farmers matches.
Swedish Firesteel fire starter
Town Pump butane lighter
El cheapo survival blanket
OD green triangle bandage

Compartment 2
Vacuumed packed roll of toilet paper
14" x 26" hand towel
Green mosquito netting for hat
Boonie hat
24 Ounce metal cup
Adventure Medical S.O.L. Thermal Bivvy Sack
Leather work gloves
Zennioptical 704015 prescription glasses with tinted ballistic shield (flips up for clear lens)
Extra 25 Rounds of Federal Personal Defense .45 rounds.
Zip lock bag with disposable gloves.
Plastic container (about 1oz) of Bag Balm (antibiotic/anti chap)
20 Morgan Silver Dollars in a tube.
2 Midland GMRS camo radios with batteries. (in case I am not alone)

Compartment 3 (very small)
5 Rounds 00 Buck
5 Rounds 12 ga. 3" slugs
Extra loaded clip for the Glock

Misc Items in pack to be transferred to pockets or worn
Swiss Army knife
Small AAA flashlight with red lens (1 battery)

·
Registered
634 Posts
ILBE bag
Sleeping bag
USMC poncho liner
100’ Para cord
1 to 4 person first aid kit
bic lighter
waterproof container with 25 storm proof matches
magnesium fire starter
6 double A batteries
3 D batteries
1 GSI Dualist cooking kit
Mini butane stove
container butane fuel
10 feet of Duct tape (Wrapped on a CC)
water purification pump (Less than half a pound)
2 pair wool socks
1 pair of underwear
1 pair of cold weather gloves
1 wool beanie
1 liter Stainless steel water bottle
Mini LED Mag Lite
3D cell Maglite
BG Gerber knife
6 30 round Magazines for the AK
AK47
Beretta 92FS
1 15 round magazine
2 32 round Magazine
1 shemagh
Bar of soap
Wash Rag
Toothbrush
Toothpast

Food is still something I am working on, I have Celiac’s so that excludes 99% of the MRE’s and Freeze dried stuff out there. I am Thinking about just throwing some peanut butter and some spam in there to get me by.

The other thing that I am torn with right now is Between the Gerber Machete or the Estwing Axe.

I think I got the basic’s covered pretty good, Not much with Shelter in there, I do have a tarp I picked up from Harbor freight but I am looking for a replacement with something of better quality.

It’s a work in progress but it’s getting better.

·
Registered
335 Posts
There are 3 of us in my family. So three bags. I do everything possible to keep the weight down to a minimum. My bag has a tent in it as well. I don't keep a lot of clothing in my bags though. I figure socks/underwear and an extra shirt. Everything we just have to make due. Remember a BOB is a 3 day thing. So you can wear your jeans, shoes and most of your other clothes for 3 days!.

My main focus for my bags - food, fire and safety/medical.

My bag - 24lbs
wife's bag - 18lbs
daughter's bag - 15lbs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well this list is not meant to be what I personally have in my B.O.B. It is however a generic list of items to give someone an idea of what can be carried in their B.O.B.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Why is a B.O.B a 3 day bag ? what guarantee's you will only need it 3 days ? IMO my B.O.B. may be needed for one day or a hundred ? I have no way of knowing how long I may need to live out of it....
I fully agree. If you have to bugout and need the B.O.B., than it has gotten pretty damn bad and you may not come home for a long time. If ever. In that aspect you should layout your bag to survive as long as possible. People get caught in the 3 day mindset because so many people use bags marketed as 3 Day packs. I use a Maxpedition Vulture II marketed as a 3 Day myself, but that's just because it's a well made, well laid out pack that fit me well. People packing around 3 days though are probably going to be crying after those 3 days are up and their still there.

Can you pack a 100 days of supplies? No, of course not carrying it on your back. But you can pack so you can better forage, take game, fish, build shelter, fire, have clean water, map your course, keep yourself safer from dangers and survive for far longer if you're smart about it. Knowledge is the first tool though and the rest with the will to survive, the determination and hard work can keep you living.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is pretty much what I will be carrying in my B.O.B and on my body.

Clothes
Change of clothes
Hat
Socks
Long Johns
Underwear
Gloves/glove liners
Toque/Baklava/Fur hat

Fire starter
Cotton balls (soaked in Vaseline)
Disposable lighter (x3)
Flint/Magnesium fire starter
Matches

First Aid
Antibiotics
Anti-diarrhea medication
Antiseptic wipes
Bandage wraps
Bandages
Burn cream
Butterfly sutures
Cotton balls
Eye patches
Gauze
Imodium
Iodine tablets
Latex/surgical gloves
Medical tape
Neosporin
New skin (liquid bandage)
Quick-clot
Surgical blades/scissors

Food/food procurement
Beef Jerky
Energy bars
Fishing kit (line, lures, jigs, weights, reel, floats, etc.)
MRE's
Snare wire

Hygiene
Baby wipes
Hand sanitizer
Hygiene kit (comb, toothbrush, shaving cream, razor, toothpaste)
Nail clippers
Soap
Toilet paper
Tweezers

Manuals
Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
First aid manual
SAS survival guide

Medications
Gold bond powder
Multi-vitamins
Tylenol/Advil

Miscellaneous
100 ft. Rope
550 paracord
Binoculars
Camp axe/ Machete
Cash & coins
E-tool
Handheld CB radio
Headlamp (red)
Heating pads
Multi tool
Night Vision site
Pocket saw
Sewing kit
Signal mirror
Spare shoe laces
Tape (mile per hour)
Weather radio
Zip lock bags
Zip ties

Self Defense
100+ rounds for each firearm
Ammo belt pouch
Cleaning kit
Gas mask
Knife (x2)
Knife sharpener

Shelter
GI poncho liner
Mosquito head/body net
Rain poncho
Sleeping bag
Tent

Survival
Compass
Emergency Radio
Glow sticks
Map (laminated)

Water
Aluminum bottle
Canteen
Coffee filters
Water filter
Water purification tablets

Extra Gear
Interceptor body armor
Radio pouch
General purpose pouch 5"x5"
Canteen pouch
TYR Tactical Medical pouch- medium
TYR Tactical Pistol Mag pouch- triple
TYR Tactical Rifle Mag pouch- single M4/M16 (holds 2)
Knee pads
Shooting goggles
Drop leg holster
Pistol
AR-15
6 extra AR magazines
3 extra pistol magazines
Camelback

I am even considering the possibility of having a ghillie suit as well in case I might need to blend in with my surroundings a lot better than typical camouflage would do.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
You're still going to be really heavy UnknownSLD with that list. I'd say close to and possibly more than a 100lbs on your back. The 100 rounds of ammo for each firearm alone is a lot of weight. I carry a Beretta 9mm with a spare 15 round magazine on my belt and two in the pack. Than a sling shot with spare band. I could carry steelshot, but that's heavy per round. I'll make use of rocks. Than I carry a accurized M1A with 10 - 20 round magazines. 1 in the rifle and 9 in a Maxpedition Active Shooter bag. Those alone are 30 lbs and change altogether. The pistol and M1A are mostly for defense. If I get the opportunity to take a pig, deer, dog or other tasty animal when shtf hard and I'm bugged out on foot and the world has gone to hell, than I'll use the M1A to lay them out, but otherwise it's just carry weight. I'd love to carry more rounds, but there just too heavy. The slingshot took the place of a .22lr conversion because of weight savings.

I have body armor also and it's heavy and makes you sweat like a pig in the sun. I'm not taking mine should shtf hard and I'm bugging out. Bugging in is not the same as carrying it over distance with what gear you bring and use. The cash will probably be worthless at that point, and the coins are not light. You might consider buying something lighter if you're looking for something to bring with you in long term assets when things level out like diamonds. Either way, just like gold coins, they won't be tradable to just anyone unless their stupid. They'll have to be tested for purity and the value determine with the current market. Just continuing looking at the list, you won't need spare shoelaces if you've got 550 cord. Those can even be made from leather off from animals or scavenged. We live in a huge society afterall with lots of excess and materials. It's all not going to disappear overnight. Another would be the radio's/CB. There great to have, but heavy to carry. Communication with others in your group can be very important, but it's always best to pick what's lightest and most effective for the weight and space in a pack. None of us are doing anything but trying to help you when we say how heavy it will be having carried packs over distance ourselves and knowing just how heavy it can be. Most of us continually assess our packs over time and wear them in outings as much as we can to better know what's worth it, what can be improved on or tossed.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Still, nobody has mentioned my favorite item, superglue...versatile for sealing small cuts, and easy to start a small fire, even with a lighter that has no butane, only a flint, you can get some superglue's to catch, and you can put one drop over a "chigger".

·
Registered
938 Posts
I agree with Fuzzee's thinking on this subject. When you are carrying it for hours and many miles, pounds equal pain.

Except I am not a dog eater. Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
9,043 Posts
Another fire starting item I didn't notice was a Fresnel lens. You can find nearly credit card sized ones (1/16" thick) in book stores. Pin point of sunlight can get up to 1800 degrees F in a second. Obviously you need the sun, but it can save you matches until you really need them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're still going to be really heavy UnknownSLD with that list. I'd say close to and possibly more than a 100lbs on your back. The 100 rounds of ammo for each firearm alone is a lot of weight. I carry a Beretta 9mm with a spare 15 round magazine on my belt and two in the pack. Than a sling shot with spare band. I could carry steelshot, but that's heavy per round. I'll make use of rocks. Than I carry a accurized M1A with 10 - 20 round magazines. 1 in the rifle and 9 in a Maxpedition Active Shooter bag. Those alone are 30 lbs and change altogether. The pistol and M1A are mostly for defense. If I get the opportunity to take a pig, deer, dog or other tasty animal when shtf hard and I'm bugged out on foot and the world has gone to hell, than I'll use the M1A to lay them out, but otherwise it's just carry weight. I'd love to carry more rounds, but there just too heavy. The slingshot took the place of a .22lr conversion because of weight savings.

I have body armor also and it's heavy and makes you sweat like a pig in the sun. I'm not taking mine should shtf hard and I'm bugging out. Bugging in is not the same as carrying it over distance with what gear you bring and use. The cash will probably be worthless at that point, and the coins are not light. You might consider buying something lighter if you're looking for something to bring with you in long term assets when things level out like diamonds. Either way, just like gold coins, they won't be tradable to just anyone unless their stupid. They'll have to be tested for purity and the value determine with the current market. Just continuing looking at the list, you won't need spare shoelaces if you've got 550 cord. Those can even be made from leather off from animals or scavenged. We live in a huge society afterall with lots of excess and materials. It's all not going to disappear overnight. Another would be the radio's/CB. There great to have, but heavy to carry. Communication with others in your group can be very important, but it's always best to pick what's lightest and most effective for the weight and space in a pack. None of us are doing anything but trying to help you when we say how heavy it will be having carried packs over distance ourselves and knowing just how heavy it can be. Most of us continually assess our packs over time and wear them in outings as much as we can to better know what's worth it, what can be improved on or tossed.
I get what you are saying with some of the items that I have like the extra shoe laces. You are right about that and money. As far as the CB Radio and all weather radio they would be good to have for communication but also just in case there are operational weather stations around still it can help you keep an ear out for weather updates. If no weather stations are operational, well then there are useful parts in it I am sure. The CB, well the one I plan on getting is very light and it picks up a wide range of frequencies if memory serves me correctly, plus it has a 30-50 mile range so I can tell if anyone is in my A.O. which can save my life. I also get what you're saying with the body armor, but if it comes down to it I would rather have some protection for vital spots on my body than none at all. Know what I am saying?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I haven't repacked my BOB for a while and this thread encouraged me to do that. Here is a picture of all the items laid out and then packed up.

Good ideas I got and have since changed, I put some salt, pepper, and bullion cubes in the pack. I know I can snare some small game or catch some fish, I didn't have any seasonings to make it taste good.

Also added some aluminum foil, a can of butter and some fishing equipment to add to my foraging and cooking abilities. The super glue idea was good as well and I put in an Israeli bandage, another thing I am going to ad is some sports wrap for sprains and wrapping wounds. I have some around but need to get into the garage to find it.

This is my Get Home Bag, I had to get it out of the truck to photograph it. I picked the short shotgun as it is easy to conceal in the back under a blanket and I don't mind leaving it locked up in town. I am uneasy putting a nicer gun in case it gets stole. If I was going to convert this into a Bug OUT Bag I would drop the shotgun and put my .270 Winchester hunting rifle and 200 rounds of ammo, that would be about a straight trade for weight.

I like my black guns, but if I only had 1 to carry it would be my hunting rifle, not the most popular choice I am sure but for me the most practical. I really need to get off my property and create a couple cashe's in case I need them.

BOB Small.jpg Packed Small.jpg

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I get what you are saying with some of the items that I have like the extra shoe laces. You are right about that and money. As far as the CB Radio and all weather radio they would be good to have for communication but also just in case there are operational weather stations around still it can help you keep an ear out for weather updates. If no weather stations are operational, well then there are useful parts in it I am sure. The CB, well the one I plan on getting is very light and it picks up a wide range of frequencies if memory serves me correctly, plus it has a 30-50 mile range so I can tell if anyone is in my A.O. which can save my life. I also get what you're saying with the body armor, but if it comes down to it I would rather have some protection for vital spots on my body than none at all. Know what I am saying?
I absolutely know what your saying and see there value the same, but the reality is as nice as some things are to have, your body can only carry so much for so far. Every ounce means a little more strain on your body, making you work harder to cover the miles, slowing you down, burning calories and burning hydration. You just have to load it all up, carry it for a while and see how it is. The body armor is great stuff, but it's more weight and dehydrates you faster wearing it. As much as the body armor could stop a bullet those aspects could leave you in it's path where otherwise you might not have been. There are reasons why people who hike regularly, mountain climb, road march, go on military missions for long periods and/or take long trips in the bush with just what's in their pack and hands are so careful about the weight they carry and what makes it up. Their constantly looking for new ways to do the same thing, but in a lighter way with less space.

:)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts