Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

At what point will you be ready?

5K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  alterego 
#1 ·
Assuming you are preparing for some sort of catastrophic event from a major 6 mo. electrical outage to a global economic collapse, how long from today's date will it take you to be reasonably prepared to semi-comfortably survive at your current rate of prepping? (I'll post my own answer after hearing a few of yours.)

#16 ·
Been ready

#19 ·
Ready enough to live, but not ready enough to deal with all possibilities in comfort. I still don't own a piece of land myself and have it set up in self sufficiency. I live relative to the city too because of the work I do. The whole east coast has way too much population also that could ever be fed when the system at large crumbles. I plan to bug out at some point when it does and go to my bol's or go where I can. Not because I want to, but when I have to.

At what point will I be ready? When I have that piece of land and it set up to hold out long term of my own, with people who can hold it out with me. Until than, I'm working on it.

#25 ·
I will never be ready until it happens. I keep going over, in my mind, all the things that I can think might happen and try to find a way to deal with them. Oh, sure I am on my land and have the preps for the standard scenarios but mental prep is what I continue to work on.

#28 ·
Who knows we may get a short couple day test. Some early winter storms have been just missing us. Not as common as it use to be but for a winter storm to knock out power and shut things down for a couple days is not unheard of. When you don't live in town you are last on the list to get power back or roads opened.
Funny to watch my 5 year grandson he was here Tornado warns flashing on screen, he grabs a flash light and heads for the shelter tells his Mom time to move down stairs.
I am betting any real emergence we may face will be caused by nature before a political one hits. Natural disaster stuff will be pretty straight forward and easy enough to ride out. If a major storm shut us down there would be little chance any BG's would be coming around. maybe some travelers on the highway stranded, it would be no problem helping them out. That happen one News eve some years back I think it was 1978, we used a Ford 8600 farm tractor with chained duals to take people out of their cars and get them to the farm, because no one was injured it turned out to be kind of fun.
The other SHTF issues a whole different process.

#29 ·
Am I ready? Not really. Will I be ok? Most likely. The older I get though the harder it will be. Too damn old now to be a commando but I can defend myself.

I would just as soon someone find a solution so I don't have to deal with it. But I figure we have as much chance of that as an alien space invasion. I am prepared though, my foil hat is handy.

#34 ·
Up until Doomsday Preppers I never thought of prepping in terms of months; we have always prepped under the idea that when the power goes out, there's the chance it may never come back on.

A question for those who have timelines, what do you plan to do when that time is up?

#35 ·
Back in the 60's I think Pat Frank wrote one of the first SHTF novels - Alas Babalyon. He wasn't talking about 3 - 6 months. He was talking about years. Depending on the actual SHTF event, re establishing a Government in Being - particularly a legitimate one - will not come easily or be re established over any major part of the USofA quickly. Me, I'm about a couple of months - at least until the spring allows me to plant.

#36 ·
Pretty much ready now. Of course, you always want/ need more. I guess that's why prepping never stops. Garden is growing, livestock is established and healthy, supplies are stocked. I still want to build a shelter, and a rainwater collection system, and always need more ammo and supplies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.