Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While not the best course of action, imo, once I'm settled, I've been thinking about becoming well acquainted with people who would be handy to have around in a SHTF scenario. A doctor, dentist and blacksmith (they can make just about anything) come to mind right off, and it will be really useful if they are fit and have hobbies like mountain climbing. I don't think it is always possible to blurt out that one is a prepper right off the bat. Perhaps after time when something in conversation allows you to bring it up in general terms, but most folks will look at you like you are crazy. I don't think it is necessarily a terrible idea to cultivate these types of friendships and in time, let it be known that in an emergency, they can come see you. I realize there are a lot of drawbacks to this, but it is one way to build a team with the types of skills you think might be handy. Although I believe more people will survive easier than a handful, I'm not big on trust, so letting others in on my preps isn't something I would do lightly.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Having a mental or formal list of individuals (or skills) that have an open invitation to your "group" is part of planning. Telling them ahead of time without any condidtions or expectations may lead to problems. They may be McGyver incarnate, but their wife, kids and brother in law they are obligated to bring along may be a bigger liability than they are an asset.

Nuturing relationships with those in your community is a good practice, but it will also allow you to identify what traits individuals have that go along with their skills.

In most scenarios I think you would end up working with several people you had not organized with ahead of time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I tend to do this, it's kinda fun seeing who you know and what position they will have in SHTF

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't have the money to live close to any medical doctors. But there is a vet close by. REAL close by and I'm getting in line with that group. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
You might be amazed at how many of the dental, nursing, and medical STUDENTS are willing to get,and be involved with prepps. and are able to accept the prepping idea, and philosophies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts