Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never really heard of an Artesian well until we started coming to Montana.. I am realizing how much I like them. We have been here for almost 2 weeks and still have no running water.. There is an artesian well here so we do have water. For those that are not familiar with them. They are under their own pressure. All we have to do is go outside and turn the faucet on and the water comes out a a pretty good rate. So we are filling several hundred gallon tanks and using them to fill up 5 gallon buckets to wash clothes and dishes. We are using a solar shower bag to take our showers in.. It is amazing how easy it is to do it this way.

Once we get our cabin up we will be using a solar pump with a hand pump for emergencies. Our well depth is 480ft. I made a correction. Our is 480 not 380..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
My neighbor hit an artisan, his well is over 500 ft deep.

The area we are in, up on a hillside about 400 feet above the valley floor we have marginal wells at 200 feet, as you go deeper they get better. If I had to drill a new well I would plan on 4-500 feet for the same reason.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Haha I zoomed into my spot and found no information, I feel so much better!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that artisian wells sometime play out. The wells down here started out artisian but played out after a few years after the water table went down.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Common here in Wisconsin. Looking at one right out the window and it is flowing above ground .

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something to keep in mind is that artisian wells sometime play out. The wells down here started out artisian but played out after a few years after the water table went down.
Thanks for the heads up.. The one that was here on the ranch when we got here has been here for many many years.. Hopefully it will stay that way. I looked em up and it says that the land around Havre,Mt which is the main town we go to to do our shopping is known for having a lot of Artesian wells..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts