Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a text from one of my best friends, this morning. His workshop was set ablaze.
The firefighters saved several pounds of gunpowder and he drove out his tractor but other than those things, he lost a lot of property.
Among the lost property lost was all the equipment required to run a bee farm. Bad timing, as the beehive supers are full of honey. He can't extract the honey, so his "girls" are going to leave. Twenty-two hives that make my friend good money.
He planted red clover because the bees like it. He planted privet (Nobody with a healthy brain plants that plant, but the bees like it) and he's planted dozens of fruit trees for them. OK, for them and for himself. Point is, he's done a lot to keep healthy and happy hives.
His honey was much sought. Best honey in the area. So much so that the arson had better hope he isn't caught. The justice system will be the least of his problems.
An arsonist really harmed the community while damaging the livelihood of a 25-year veteran. It wasn't his only means of profit as he is my lead man. He also has his military retirement. Still, a vile piece of feces thought it'd be a good idea to torch this 63-year-old man's workshop.

The point is that you can build a hobby farm. You can raise your own food and even sell a product, but some evil, horrible human being can screw up your day. You might want to wire in some alarms.

There's a reason why he wants me to come to his farm when it hits the fan. He knows that there is more to me than my polite and jovial mannerisms. Maybe I should buy an acre of his land and move, now.

Yeah. I'm mad.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,614 Posts
That sucks. Senseless crime is the worst. It makes a person question what the hell is going on in other people's heads to think of doing something like that.
Could have just been stupid kids doing stupid things, or it could have been a malicious SOB with a fictional axe to grind... or no reason at all.

I hope he can rebuild his bee business. Lord knows the bees need all the help we can give them. If we lose the bees, we all die.

·
Super Moderator
3,472 Posts
Senseless violence and destruction seem to be the normal now. I will never understand how that type of behavior is acceptable in anyone's mind.

I hope he can find someone that is willing to loan him the equipment he needs to keep his bees healthy and producing.

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Senseless violence and destruction seem to be the normal now. I will never understand how that type of behavior is acceptable in anyone's mind.

I hope he can find someone that is willing to loan him the equipment he needs to keep his bees healthy and producing.

There's nobody in the area who can do that. He is the one who could have come to other's rescue.

@Kauboy is right. His bees do a lot of good for the properties around his. A thriving group of kept bees are a lot better at pollination than wild bees. This will not be good for the fruit trees and gardens owned by his neighbors.

I have a theory about the arsonist(s). He has a pond on his property. Trespassers felt that they had the right to fish there, and my friend has been chasing them off his property. I think the most likely suspects are these "entitled" people.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,643 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your friend's workshop, property and bees. You're sure it's arson?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
If I am not mistaken... you can leave the bees alone and harvest it later... they normally swarm when they run out of space (too many bees)..not when they have too much honey

and ... he could always put in some empty frames and pull the fulls ones to harvest later.. honey will last like 50,000 years

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your friend's workshop, property and bees. You're sure it's arson?
The F.D. said it started due to faulty wiring of a freezer in the corner. Problem is, the freezer was unplugged. He had no source of ignition in that area, as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Typical FD.

I can imagine a list of possible sources listed on the report.

Arson? Nope.
Smoking in bed? Nope.
Kids playing with matches? Nope.
Lightning strike? Nope.
Candle left burning? Nope.
Flare-up at stove? Nope.
Gas leak? Nope.
Electrical? Nope.
Other (please describe). Damn... I don't want to write out a bunch of stuff. I'll just check electrical so I can roll up the hoses and go back to the station.

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Typical FD.

Arson? Nope.
Smoking in bed? Nope.
Lightning strike? Nope.
Flare-up at stove? Nope.
Gas leak? Nope.
Electrical? Nope.
Other (please describe). Damn... I don't want to write out a bunch of stuff. I'll just check electrical so I can roll up the hoses and go back to the station.
That’s what they tried to do but it became obvious that it wasn’t electrical. A contracted investigator is supposed to be there, Monday. We’ll see.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend and the trouble this has caused. Granted, I know when some jealous person has child-like angst about his status, but this was a new one for me. I cannot picture his "real estate" now seething with dark men with firearms, all barking about "land grants."

Denton, we have bee-keepers in my area, but I do not know about the day-by-day challenges they face. Is there anything we can learn about your acquaintances and if there's something we can do?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Typical FD.

Arson? Nope.
Smoking in bed? Nope.
Lightning strike? Nope.
Flare-up at stove? Nope.
Gas leak? Nope.
Electrical? Nope.
Your ignorance knows no bounds.

When your house burns down, or your dad has a heart attack, please don’t call 911, it’s obvious they don’t know what they’re doing…

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,643 Posts
Your ignorance knows no bounds.

When your house burns down, or your dad has a heart attack, please don’t call 911, it’s obvious they don’t know what they’re doing…
Eric, In all fairness I think you're twisting BPH's words into a pretzel.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Us old Arson Investigators would start by ruling out a possible friction fire (where the mortage and insurance policy rub together too briskly) or a pyromaniac volunteer firemen and such things as that.

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Us old Arson Investigators would start by ruling out a possible friction fire (where the mortage and insurance policy rub together too briskly) or a pyromaniac volunteer firemen and such things as that.
His place will be paid off in two years. Furthermore, he is very much a man of ethics and principles.

There's a pyro in the next county up. A church, a parts store, and an abandoned house has been torched, so far. I'm not thinking it's the same personas you can't get there from there. In other words, he'd have to know where he was going.

I've heard of volunteer firefighters doing that. It seems that's why they are attracted to volunteering.

·
Super Moderator
9,481 Posts
It was a voluntary fire department.
Last July

A volunteer firefighter has been accused of starting a fire in south Louisiana.

April this year.

Deputies say they arrested a former volunteer firefighter on Thursday for setting a vacant home on fire twice in Lancaster, South Carolina.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Sorry to hear of your friends losses. Good bees and good honey, are worth their weight in gold so any losses there can be devastating. It just might be a good idea to move there, to have the extra eyes & ears.

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If I am not mistaken... you can leave the bees alone and harvest it later... they normally swarm when they run out of space (too many bees)..not when they have too much honey

and ... he could always put in some empty frames and pull the fulls ones to harvest later.. honey will last like 50,000 years
I asked him about that, today.
It's not nearly as easy as that. He's the biggest honey "farmer" in the area and knows it inside and out, so he said a lot of things I didn't really understand. My takeaway is that, yes, they will swarm if the supers are full and there is no more room.
Furthermore, you can't just take a full super out of the box and put it in the burned-out shop and think it will stay good. It's no longer marketable. It's no good.
You say he should be able to put empty supers in place of the full ones. Problem is, EVERYTHING was burned in the fire.
500 flats of mason jars, supers, stacks of food-grade buckets, everything. He now has 23 hives with which he can do nothing. Because there is no room, they will swarm. They'll probably make a queen and leave some workers behind, but beetles will take over and destroy the remnant.
It seems there's a lot to the bee-keeping endeavor and I think the bees are going to miss their protected days of living under the constant care of a human.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts