Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I have never gone after a moose with a bow, that kinda seems like it wouldn't work. The moose I shot up in Wisconsin took five guys to carry off JUST the legs, ended up giving half of it away and STILL ate on it for most of a year. Reddest, richest meat you ever saw. It's a lot like buffalo.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Something doesn't look right. I think photoshop. I know when I was working on the Northern Border the Native Americans would shoot a moose with a traditional bow and arrow and follow it for days til it dies.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something doesn't look right. I think photoshop. I know when I was working on the Northern Border the Native Americans would shoot a moose with a traditional bow and arrow and follow it for days til it dies.
Yeah it's a bit fishy the way he just stood there like a wimp in the video after it ran off, i thought any respectable hunter worth his salt would go after it to finish it off

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
No standing still and waiting for the animal to bleed out is the right thing to do because an animal like a moose will cover more ground than any hunter could. The arrow placement was horrible for such close range but being that close to a bull moose could do that to a person.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah...it looked like he hit it too far back. It is certainly best to sit and wait for the animal to weaken and bleed out...there will likely be quite a blood trail. A modern compound bow is capable of taking Moose.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Yeah...it looked like he hit it too far back. It is certainly best to sit and wait for the animal to weaken and bleed out...there will likely be quite a blood trail. A modern compound bow is capable of taking Moose.
I agree but did the tree in the middle of the frame look weird? Maybe photoshopped to look closer than it actually was.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I agree a modern compound is capable of taking moose and letting it bleed out is the way to go. If he goes right after it he'll be chasing that moose for miles. Most wounded animals will lay down and bleed out if left alone. I doubt it went all that far before it laid down. Hard to say from those camera angles where he hit but it did look like he hit it a bit further back than I'd be comfortable with. Most definitely still in the vitals, most likely a liver hit from what I saw so it may take a bit longer for that moose to finally die. Most bow hunters recommend waiting at least a half hour before trying to recover a game animal and an animal that size I'd wait an hour before going after it. I wait half an hour before going after whitetails with a rifle, well I try to anyway sometimes the excitement is just too much to take. Settle down, drink some coffee out of the thermos maybe have a smoke and that's about all I can stand then I gotta go see it.

As a side note I'm a believer that the harder an animal dies the gamier the meat will be. I think it's mostly caused by the adrenaline in the system. The only gamey whitetail I've ever shot was one that took a step as I pulled the trigger and was hit through the gut. I went after it too soon and ended up pushing it and had to put another round in it on the run. I'm convinced this is what led to the gaminess of the meat.

-Infidel

·
Registered
49 Posts
I absolutely agree with the theory that the best tasting game is from animals that were killed quickly and cleanly. I'm also agreeing that the Moose encounter seemed unusual and was possibly photoshopped.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
This pisses me off big time, don't hunt animals you can't kill with the weapons you are using. Up here that guy would have been legally obligated to track that thing down. Such a jerk. It takes large calibre ammo to take out a moose. Any idiot with weak draw, under 180lbs and or small calibre like a 22 shooting at mooses is a jerk.

Although in self defence it makes sense.. Very well may have killed it but anyone who plans on going out and hunting big game with small weapons, if not in a life and death situation is as bad or worse than the poachers. Also being prepared to go after the thing rather than standing in shock.

Here are some recommended draw weights http://www.streetdirectory.com/trav..._weight_do_i_need_for_crossbow_hunting63.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
The guy was shooting a compound bow, not a crossbow. He certainly doesn't need 180lbs! 60 lbs with a good shot and Mr. Moose will die fairly quickly. I do agree that shooting game animals with no real attempt to harvest them doesn't make any sense...just shoot at targets. The guy may have recovered the Moose after an appropriate wait.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
An arrow kills as the animal moves around. The bow just needs to put it deep enough into the animal for it to cut something vital.
After you shoot if you immediately go after the animal it will run and travel further than if you wait.
As the animal moves away and sees nothing following it will slow down and stop to rest. the internal bleeding makes the animal tired so it will lay down to rest and then peacefully bleed to death.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This pisses me off big time, don't hunt animals you can't kill with the weapons you are using..
Yeah he probably went out with his bow against rabbits and squirrels and other small stuff, and when the moose came sniffing around he took a pot at it just for the hell of it, not good.
And his body language at the end seems to be saying "Oh my god, I can't believe I was such a jackass to do that!"
In his place I'd have either stood still til it went away, or if it began getting aggressive i'd have waved my arms and yelled at it to scare it off, i'd only put an arrow into it as a last defensive resort.
Anyway his kisser is now all over the internet, it'll be interesting to see if the Authorities (whoever they are) nail him for breaking the rules (if there are any).

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yeah he probably went out with his bow against rabbits and squirrels and other small stuff, and when the moose came sniffing around he took a pot at it just for the hell of it, not good.
And his body language at the end seems to be saying "Oh my god, I can't believe I was such a jackass to do that!"
In his place I'd have either stood still til it went away, or if it began getting aggressive i'd have waved my arms and yelled at it to scare it off, i'd only put an arrow into it as a last defensive resort.
Anyway his kisser is now all over the internet, it'll be interesting to see if the Authorities (whoever they are) nail him for breaking the rules (if there are any).
Not a hunter are you? Now see to me his body language says "I can't believe that I was lucky enough to find a bull moose to shoot and at such close range!" His body is full of adrenaline which happens whenever you have the opportunity to harvest an animal of that magnitude. Still happens to me after 25+ years of hunting whitetails and it's a great feeling. Anyone that hunts knows that feeling and once you know it you start to live for it.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When it ran off he just stood looking at the camera instead of stalking after it at a distance, so i'm guessing the whole vid was faked.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jim...the reaction that guy had is the same reaction of nearly every hunter who manages to encounter such an awesome animal. We have explained that it was entirely appropriate to wait a suitable amount of time before tracking the Moose. The dudes reaction indicates to me that he did indeed shoot a large game animal. The encounter seems strange for a variety of reasons but the reaction seems authentic. The theory about this being a chance encounter while out after rabbits and squirrels is just silly...if you knew more about the equipment involved and the strategies employed you would just let this one go.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When it ran off, he made no attempt to walk forward out of the woods to see what direction it was headed so that he could track it, which seemed a bit odd.
It might or might not have left a blood trail, and it might have collapsed a mile or two away somewhere, but he acted as if he didn't care, he just stood looking at the camera.
The vid's all over internet-land and doesn't make hunters look good. I emailed him a couple of days ago to get his side of the story and if he replies i'll post his answer here

·
Registered
49 Posts
The moose didn't creep away like a ninja...determining the direction it fled would be extremely easy. The video is of note only because of the very close encounter. It is not an indictment of hunters. The guy probably spends his time responding to other hunters who are interested in the size of that behemoth.

·
Administrator
14,693 Posts
It would be more sporting if the animal could shoot back. Just sayin'.
As far as "gamey" tasting meat, the way i was taught with white tail deer is after it's cut up to put it into coolers of ice and let it stay for several days, draining the bloody water several times a day until it's fairly clear, keeping the meat covered with ice. I then cut it into serving size portions and freeze it. And does taste better than bucks.
Back in the 30's and 40's, my grandpa shot moose in Maine using a custom Mauser rifle chambered in 9MM.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts