Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I daydream of getting something like a surplus U.S. M-113 armored personnel carrier, countless thousands have been built over the past 50 years and used by many armies around the world.
They're a bit outdated now and being replaced by newer APC's, so maybe we could pick one up cheap somewhere to use in a SHTF world; they're bulletproof so we could drive around with immunity, although the highish fuel consumption might be a problem.

M-113

They're roomy inside, so you could even live in them with your family if you have to-

Or if you didn't want to use them for travel, you could dig them into the ground to use as a static bunker, just shovel a thin layer of earth on top, and plant a few shrubs and bushes to conceal the periscope, ventilation tube and roof hatch and nobody would know you're there. Some versions have a small turret with machinegun which of course you'd camouflage and leave sticking up above ground too.
This Bradley (being visited by Dick Cheney in Germany in 1989) is not an M-113 but it shows how any APC can be dug in. In time of war they'd finish the job by piling soil, branches and shrubbery on top for total concealment, leaving just enough visibility to spot an approaching enemy and engage him with the gun-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Two things I remember about them. They ard not bullet proof, and they are not comfortable. :-D:-D:-D:-D
Yeah I heard some high-powered rifles and MG's can penetrate them but they're still a lot more bulletproof than a typical softskin car..:)
As for comfort, if it was the only alternative to camping outside in subzero conditions after your house has been torched by zombs, i'd choose the armored draught-proof, rain-proof , fire-proof armored box (M-113) every time.
This dood is in one, it can be made roomier by slinging out military gear and fixtures, allowing you to get your whole family in there including mother-in-law..:)

·
Registered
24,393 Posts
OK, thanks. One more reason to look up to the orange, sun-like ball and bask - the thought of being trapped in an APC with my mother in law.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did ALOT of time in a M577 ( an M113 command vehicle) it would be fun to have one but as previously mentioned the gas bill would be high plus all the maintenance.
One thing missed here that I saw multiple times, new guys riding in the back of those things (including me) would be puking their guts out. It takes awhile to get used to the pivoting track motion vs easy turns in a wheeled vehicle. If it’s hot outside it’s even hotter inside along with the dust and no ventilation and after a week in the field it can get quite “ripe” in there. Something else war movies tend to ignore.
You could make it more comfortable inside but some things you can’t get around.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,614 Posts
Just take the wife along when you shop for one, and she will bring you back to reality. Don’t worry about nuthin’, let her worry about it, because your daydreams will come crashing down.

It will be just like a bowling ball fell from the clouds, and shoved your head into, you know where. And that’s when the unicorn dies baby. 🦄

1 - 12 of 12 Posts