Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be interested in knowing where other AZ preppers are located and what you think the particular risks of your city might be. Also, where do you think the safe havens will be in AZ?

I am in the Tucson area. I could see threats at any of the malls, downtown, the airport, U of A, or along the rail line/I-10 that goes right through town. Palo Verde nuclear is north of us and since the wind usually blows from the south, we are OK in that regard. Our family members work on all sides of town, so the "get-home" plans vary a lot depending on where an "event" might be located.

We have an off-grid cabin outside of Flagstaff that would be great in the summer, but I sure wouldn't want to winter there. Hereford/Sierra Vista might be good year round areas with good weather and water, but the proximity to the southern border could make for security concerns. What do the rest of you desert rats think?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I'm in N. Phoenix - in the foothills transition zone (85024). My biggest risk is that there is no good way out of town except I-17. Any other routes require me to double back into town to get out and that AIN'T HAPPENING! I expect I-17 to be jammed with cars like a parking lot and just about where Black Canyon City sits will be ambush territory.

North of me is Cave Creek and Care Free. There are some routes up there to some land and areas to ride it out if you have to but nothing primo unless you have a house out there already.

South of me gets low income and meth-y real quick so there is some serious liability there to consider as well. Best bets are to shelter in place for a while.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Sorry I can't help with AZ info, but you mentioned an off grid cabin. Do you know how lucky you are? To have a quality bug out location is a big benefit. And I would not be afraid to be there in the winter, but you have to prep for that (I suggest propane and diesel power generator and you likely have that already)? Make sure you have plans on how to get there under all conditions...weather, traffic jams, no power? I'd look at burying preps at the site so if your bugging out with out your stocks there is enough there for you upon arrival.

I would be interested in knowing where other AZ preppers are located and what you think the particular risks of your city might be. Also, where do you think the safe havens will be in AZ?

I am in the Tucson area. I could see threats at any of the malls, downtown, the airport, U of A, or along the rail line/I-10 that goes right through town. Palo Verde nuclear is north of us and since the wind usually blows from the south, we are OK in that regard. Our family members work on all sides of town, so the "get-home" plans vary a lot depending on where an "event" might be located.

We have an off-grid cabin outside of Flagstaff that would be great in the summer, but I sure wouldn't want to winter there. Hereford/Sierra Vista might be good year round areas with good weather and water, but the proximity to the southern border could make for security concerns. What do the rest of you desert rats think?

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
the wind blows from the West to North West, but you are still safe from Palo Verde.

Winter weather in Flag can be a problem, plus there are a lot of people up there. I have not heard anyone mention Hereford, so don't ever say it again. Why would you be more worried about the southern boarder than your zombie neighbors....

Rancher

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I actually live right next to a river, so after we finish drinkiing the pool, we would still have water.
Unfortunately, it is one of the few rivers in the northern hemisphere that runs south to north, so the water comes from mexico before it gets to me. that means that the water would likely be polluted (at least until the plague kills off everyone in Mexico.)

Dangers in the Tucson area:
how close are you to the railroad? Every month a town or two get evacuated due to wrecks and derailments.
Check the hate map on Southern Poverty Law center's web site--become aware of any hate groups nearby.
Getting out of Tucson in a hurry is tricky, with just a coulpe of highways, you should research other paths beside I10 & 19 (Oracle road goes almost to Phx).
Research the path to Hooters, you might need a date after the world ends.
And if you are in the Tucson area, start learning the really great places all aound you where you can vanish indefinately: The Rincons, The Grahams, Mt Lemon (ewwww), Cienega Creek Preserve (the Pantano), Turkey creek, and dozens of other really great places to hide if you need to bugout.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RNprepper, we moved to Tucson early 2016.

A significant challenge here of course is water. The city water folks told me that if the electricity goes out city wide, some places will lose water pressure almost immediately, with some having up to a trickle for maybe two days. A lot would depend on how the bulk of the population reacted. Would they conserve water, use as normal, or deliberately start filling everything.
In the area there are two groups of varying membership that more or less meet monthly.

Southern Arizona Preppers.
https://www.meetup.com/Southern-Arizona-Preppers/

Meetings tend to be at the Mission Library and/or the Nanini Library, although we have now had three sessions at the Coco's on Oracle just north of Ina.

And

Oath Keepers for southern Arizona.

Most sessions are at the U-Like Buffet, on Oracle just north of River Rd.
The local Oath Keepers is in the process of changing their online presence, so right now no direct link is available.

Re getting to Flagstaff in a crisis, you had better have a crystal ball and know when to leave a day or two before SHTF. You are not going to make it there from Tucson once any significant portion of the population knows there is a significant and widespread problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I lived in Lake Havasu City for 6 years from 1991 to late 1997. I think in a SHTF situation, it would be one of the best towns to live within the state of Arizona. Plenty of water in an emergency. And only one road in and out of the town, (Route 95). Which can be easily defended by a small police force. It is centrally located between Las Vegas, (140 miles), Phoenix, (200 miles), and Los Angeles, (350 miles). Yet you have Bullhead City / Laughlin only 60 miles away. And Kingman about the same.

That's a nicely spread out, but not too far location. The town has grown a bit since I lived there. From around 24,000 in 1997. To right around 54,000 now. So it has about doubled in the last 20 years. There are still several vacant lots available for sale within town. And while housing has gone up, it's still priced under much of the country. Especially anything in California.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have homes in Prescott (10 miles off the nearest paved road), and northeast of Tucson on 100 acres, 5 miles from the pavement and more than a mile from my neighbor. If you don't know where my house is and you can't fly...you are highly unlikely to find it. You damned sure won't get here without me knowing about it. And you will only get to my gate if I allow it. We have water and solar. I sunk 2 wells, and we have a spring that comes out of the rocks near the house that fills the horse trough and fills the cattle trough as well. Our southern AZ home is on a hundred acres of former US Government land with some leftover cold war goodies that have come in handy for storage and the like.

My closest and only neighbors are an older couple who are retired aerospace types who make honey, paint happy trees, can food from their garden, and they are a mile and a half away.

Even if the SHTF....I will have time/distance to pick up my daughter from school (she starts driving in 18 months, assuming it waits til then) and for my wife to un-ass the hospital where she is a trauma surgeon and get them home and bugged in. We are not on major highways or even within an hour drive of a highway. Both my sons are cops now as well...and I am confident in their abilities to get here when they decide it is time.

What worries me? Not much elevates to the level of "worry". Mostly my immediacy of concern is getting my wife and daughter home. Luckily, they are in the same direction and my daughter's school is closer...so she is the first one I pick up. For those who are astute enough to know why this is significant...my daughter's back and forth to school vehicle will be my mechanically restored, yet outwardly disreputable looking 1972 Chevy Blazer. This is where people will go nuts and shit themselves to find out that when she is driving there WILL be a Glock 17, 4 spare mags, and an AR in the steel lockbox behind the back seat for my daughter. She is a competitive shooter in USPSA, IDPA, and 3Gun with her brothers and I. I trust HER with a gun more than I trust YOU with a gun. My wife, assuming her Audi SUV isn't gorked...has her Glock handy as well and her Glock 43 on her person. If her Audi is gorked...I will get her in my 75 CJ or in the Blazer...or on horseback. It doesn't matter...I will get to her.

The reality is this. Living out in the boonies there is a buffer zone between the cities. That buffer zone is my beloved Sonoran desert which will kill you quick unless you have a LOT of desert savvy and I don't mean "I have lived in Arizona for 3 years and I take a bottle of water with me when I am shopping" or "I hike in Sabino Canyon once a week with my friends". If all the signs are present that "something" is about to spark....like mass rioting in Tucson or Phoenix because some allegedly unarmed teen or member of some oppressed this or that got smoked because they pointed a gun at a cop, or got shot while robbing a store and BLM, Antifa(rt), or whatever group goes stupid...I am keeping the family home and close. If it happens without warning...then a text to my wife and daughter gets them into motion. Quietly leave, no explanation..."Mister Teacher, I need to use the restroom...." and POOF...gone.

The desert is a harsh environment, but I grew up on it on horseback working with my dad and my grandfather on our horse and cattle ranch. I know the desert, and I know every back trail within miles and miles of my home which I can traverse on horseback, Jeep, old dirtbike, or quad to get into and out of our small town. My daughter knows most of them too. In the 7 years since we sold our home in north Snottsdale and built this one and moved out here...she has ridden every one of them with my wife, sons, and I. I have distance markers all over my property so there is no guess work in how far away someone on my property might be from the house...I know that piece of chachkee are is 200 yards from the door...why might that be important? I know that the old, decorative tractor by the gate is 400 yards from the door....why might that be important? The decorative Mexican sleeping by the cactus is 300 yards from the pole barn....see why that is important? Zoom 1-4x on the Leupold and there is no guess work in where the 77gr BTHP is going to cross your mind.

The desert is a harsh environment and it will kill you. I was raised in this harsh environment and I will kill you of the desert doesn't beat me to it if I perceive you as a threat to my family.

Don't worry about the desert...make it work FOR you. I love it. I have always loved it, and with a lot fewer resources devoted to heat...provided you do solar and have a basement...you can live comfortably even in the hottest months in comfort. But have an iron clad and solid plan to GTFO of Tucson and Phoenix. It doesn't matter which direction you go...just get out because the turds in those punch bowls are going to start to stink fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts